Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 29/07/2023 at 12:50, The Blur said:

Spent last week in South and North Devon.   Got reasonably lucky with the weather and North are great for kids.   However the drive took two hours from the south to north!  I cannot believe how big the county is!

Where did you end up in South Devon?

3 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I fancy it aswell as my nipper is obsessed with trains. Paris?

Rotterdam - cheaper than flying to Amsterdam (always a pricy flight) and then train out to Rotterdam. In process, travel time is probably less by the time I am in Rotterdam. 

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Rotterdam - cheaper than flying to Amsterdam (always a pricy flight) and then train out to Rotterdam. In process, travel time is probably less by the time I am in Rotterdam. 

I love the Eurostar. We are going to Amsterdam on it end of August. Direct to city centre and was about the same price as flights without all the hassle. 

On 29/07/2023 at 13:41, deejdeej said:

Flying back from Cape Verde today, stayed in Sal. Have loved it, real caribbean vibes about the place but only 5/6 hours on a plane. Highly recommend.

Must have been on the same plane as you! It did seem that half the hotel was people from Leicester! 

I'm still sulking about being back in the real world rather than out in that sun! 

2 hours ago, syston_fox said:

Must have been on the same plane as you! It did seem that half the hotel was people from Leicester! 

I'm still sulking about being back in the real world rather than out in that sun! 

Saw lots of Leicester shirts and spoke to a few from here too. We stayed at the Riu Santa Maria Palace, was great. 

4 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Stayed just down the coast from there this year at Ringmore. 

Cracking pub in that village 

I have not ventured over that part of Devon, closest place that I visited was Thurlstone Beach.    I decided last year to explore afield and also did North Devon this summer.   Are the areas around Ringmore worth exploring?

Excited, booked the family vacation for spring break  March 2024. Havent been anywhere since jamaica in december 2019 just before the pandemic!

Heading to St Lucia, somewhere i have always wanted to go.

Anything before that will be local holidays (august) lol. Might head over to east coast of Canada or stay within ontario, will see.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2023 at 19:43, Parafox said:

WATCH: End of an era! Camp Nou demolition gathers pace as cranes tear down  Barcelona's famed stadium | Goal.com UK

I'd give that one a miss for now: 

"The Spanish champions are pushing ahead with speed as part of their bold redevelopment plans, with cranes seen tearing down the stands' structures, just six weeks after their final match. 

Barcelona's £1.25billion refurbishment, which has had 250 workers on site in recent weeks with more expected soon, is ongoing with the hope it is ready to be opened in full for the 2025-26 season".

Las Ramblas is expensive but an experience in itself. Some great little Spanish Tapas bars off the main Las Ramblas, though. If you have time, explore the areas off Las Ramblas. There's a good traditional market nearby

My advice would be buy an open bus tour where you can get off at the places that are of interest to you.

With the exception of The Nou Camp, I agree with all of @FoyleFoxrecommendations plus any of Gaudi's buildings. You'll spot them easily. All the one's we visited when we went were pretty amazing:

Discover and enjoy the works of Antoni Gaudí in Barcelona.

Beware of pickpockets, they're rife in the tourist areas.

It’s a work trip and we director has booked for nou camp tomorrow morning so not sure how much we will see.. if any! Been to Ramblas and the market..  mega busy! Going to the park where you get a good view over the city tomorrow PM after nou camp. We are staying by the beach so taxis everywhere at least three times a day (I’m not paying and split between 5 isn’t too bad) only gripe is literally 3 miles from into the town where it has everything going on. We have a boat trip tomorrow around 8pm which should be nice time of night 

• Like 1

Planning to go Thailand at the back end of November for a couple of weeks; we're debating where to go, it's either Phuket or Krabi. 

Anyone been to either please? Could do with some guidance as we'll never bloody book it otherwise!

45 minutes ago, Frost said:

Planning to go Thailand at the back end of November for a couple of weeks; we're debating where to go, it's either Phuket or Krabi. 

Anyone been to either please? Could do with some guidance as we'll never bloody book it otherwise!

careful with November for weather - we went early December, was a bit ropey, I think the hot season starts properly in January. Krabi is a must.. would stay krabi and do day trip to railay. Bangkok for one or two nights for the experience, we also did koh samui and koh Lanta - beaches in koh Lanta are incredible. 

can’t comment on phucket but lots going on If you like that and a lot of brits I expect.

Last night in Rhodes town, what a cool place this is. Can see why it’s in the worlds top 100 tourist destinations, it’s got everything.

Hot as fvck but would defo recommend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

Last night in Rhodes town, what a cool place this is. Can see why it’s in the worlds top 100 tourist destinations, it’s got everything.

Hot as fvck but would defo recommend.

Is that the weather or did the kids suitcases finally catch fire?

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Frost said:

Went to Patong in March, mainly for the dive company I was going to do my two courses with - https://www.scubadiving-phuket.com

• Make sure you pack a mac, check your elephant centre is ethical, long boats look cool but they’re noisy AF if you’re travelling any distance. 
  • OTOP market for bars that show football. Don’t ring the bell as it will cost you - something my drunk wife thought was funny as I had to buy everyone a drink on multiple occasions.
  • Use the Bolt app for taxis.
  • Cover up when visiting temples, don’t show anyone the soles of your feet, learn a bit of basic Thai.
  • The Place Phuket, opposite the beach in Patong, does bargain cocktails and very decent food.
  • Being constantly harassed by masseurs is a complete pita. A lot of those ladies aren’t. If they don’t look like hookers who will offer you a handjob with a bored face, you’ll actually get a massage. The wife strongly recommends the massages, I hate the thought of being prodded by strangers so I have no clue.
  • If you vape, do it discretely - you can buy from the cigarette sellers walking around Bangla Rd or any shop selling electrical stuff. They’ll ask for 1500 baht for devices costing 3000 online, cheapest I got was 7000.
  • Snorkelling trip to the Similan Islands is a long day but decent, scuba at the Surin islands and you may see whale sharks.
  • Eating at street markets is fun, delicious and cheap - and the fish has just come out of the sea.
  • Every other shop seems to sell cannabis these days, many stoned Russians.
  • The Russians and Chinese are rude AF. They make Brits abroad look good.
  • Don't argue with anyone. This is the Land Of Smiles [tm], you’ll get absolutely nowhere losing your temper.
  • The cops are corrupt AF.
  • Internal flights are cheap as chips if you fancied a couple of days up north.
  • If you stopover in Bangkok, stay near a station so you can get around easier - and don’t bother with taxis.
  • Only rent a motorbike (they aren’t, they’re scooters) if you have a full licence and a death wish. Don’t leave your passport with them.
  • Cyclists tend to get squished.
  • Stories abound of jet ski scams, I never rented one so I don’t know.
  • Buy a SIM card at the airport when you land, your mobile bill will thank you - although Wi-Fi is prevalent speeds can be an issue.
  • Tipping isn’t customary, I did it anyway (if anything, to piss off the ex-pat pervs who get incensed when you do it).
  • Finding your name on a piece of paper for the prebooked hotel transfer at Phuket airport is one of the hardest things you’ll ever do in your life. Doing it through one of the lads advertising on Facebook means they’ll stand at arrivals and save you an hour of grief. 
  • Ask the taxi driver to use a meter or agree on a mutually acceptable price.
  • Bartering to save 50p is a load of toss.
  • Linen is your clothing friend, polyester is not.
  • Shops sell sun cream and deet products.
  • Shops can stop selling beer for a couple of hours in the afternoon - which is a pain if you’re trying to avoid hotel minibar prices. Plan ahead and get your tinnies in at breakfast.
  • Go. It’s like Colombia of the Far East. 10/10 recommended.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

Went to Patong in March, mainly for the dive company I was going to do my two courses with - https://www.scubadiving-phuket.com

• Make sure you pack a mac, check your elephant centre is ethical, long boats look cool but they’re noisy AF if you’re travelling any distance. 
  • OTOP market for bars that show football. Don’t ring the bell as it will cost you - something my drunk wife thought was funny as I had to buy everyone a drink on multiple occasions.
  • Use the Bolt app for taxis.
  • Cover up when visiting temples, don’t show anyone the soles of your feet, learn a bit of basic Thai.
  • The Place Phuket, opposite the beach in Patong, does bargain cocktails and very decent food.
  • Being constantly harassed by masseurs is a complete pita. A lot of those ladies aren’t. If they don’t look like hookers who will offer you a handjob with a bored face, you’ll actually get a massage. The wife strongly recommends the massages, I hate the thought of being prodded by strangers so I have no clue.
  • If you vape, do it discretely - you can buy from the cigarette sellers walking around Bangla Rd or any shop selling electrical stuff. They’ll ask for 1500 baht for devices costing 3000 online, cheapest I got was 7000.
  • Snorkelling trip to the Similan Islands is a long day but decent, scuba at the Surin islands and you may see whale sharks.
  • Eating at street markets is fun, delicious and cheap - and the fish has just come out of the sea.
  • Every other shop seems to sell cannabis these days, many stoned Russians.
  • The Russians and Chinese are rude AF. They make Brits abroad look good.
  • Don't argue with anyone. This is the Land Of Smiles [tm], you’ll get absolutely nowhere losing your temper.
  • The cops are corrupt AF.
  • Internal flights are cheap as chips if you fancied a couple of days up north.
  • If you stopover in Bangkok, stay near a station so you can get around easier - and don’t bother with taxis.
  • Only rent a motorbike (they aren’t, they’re scooters) if you have a full licence and a death wish. Don’t leave your passport with them.
  • Cyclists tend to get squished.
  • Stories abound of jet ski scams, I never rented one so I don’t know.
  • Buy a SIM card at the airport when you land, your mobile bill will thank you - although Wi-Fi is prevalent speeds can be an issue.
  • Tipping isn’t customary, I did it anyway (if anything, to piss off the ex-pat pervs who get incensed when you do it).
  • Finding your name on a piece of paper for the prebooked hotel transfer at Phuket airport is one of the hardest things you’ll ever do in your life. Doing it through one of the lads advertising on Facebook means they’ll stand at arrivals and save you an hour of grief. 
  • Ask the taxi driver to use a meter or agree on a mutually acceptable price.
  • Bartering to save 50p is a load of toss.
  • Linen is your clothing friend, polyester is not.
  • Shops sell sun cream and deet products.
  • Shops can stop selling beer for a couple of hours in the afternoon - which is a pain if you’re trying to avoid hotel minibar prices. Plan ahead and get your tinnies in at breakfast.
  • Go. It’s like Colombia of the Far East. 10/10 recommended.
  • That raw fish sushi at the market stall has been out in the sun all day and covered in flies.

On 01/08/2023 at 15:55, foxfanazer said:

Buzzing for Budapest in a couple of weeks 

Make sure you go to the Champions Bar 

You’ll find our badge on the floor. Great boozer too. 

Went there on a stag do, for 4 hours. Spent £900 at the bar in that time 😂

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Thanks 1

Got back from Weymouth two weeks ago. Lovely place really. Got the decent weather too

Rome for the Ryder Cup at the end of next month, Barcelona with the missus in October, and just booked Tenerife for May next year

Sun chasing 😂 and doing my best to increase carbon footprint 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox