Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Going with the missus mate so not a chance of that. lol

We're based near Heuston station which I understand is around a 20 minute walk from the action. Will that be safe enough to walk to/from at night?

Also both love our stand-up comedy and seen good reviews of a night called Comedy Crunch. Is it any good?

Heuston to city centre should be fine, too far on the other side of that might be a little ropey.

Never actually been to Comedy Crunch and dont know much about it (left Dub in 2013 so it might have more about it now). Been the International Comedy Club (small venue, bit raw but not bad, about 10 euros) and Laughter Lounge ( bigger venue, more professional set up but more expensive). Both are central. Best thing to do is probably find out who is playing on the particular night you want to go and youtube them.

In all honesty, central Dublin is good for drinking but doesnt have a massive amount to do otherwise bar pottering around. Depending on how long you have, you could also take a trip on the DART (local train line) to either Howth or Malahide which are two nice seaside surburbs north of Dublin. Or a day trip to Glendalough in Wicklow to see a more traditional Ireland (lakes, mountains, lots of green albeit a bit touristy).

Guest seanfox778

Thinking of going New York in November or January for a couple of weeks. The flights are really good prices, around £300 return but as I expected the hotel prices are eye watering, even for shite looking ones. I've heard it's best to stay in some of the boroughs and get a subway/train to the city. Anyone done that before?

Thinking of going New York in November or January for a couple of weeks. The flights are really good prices, around £300 return but as I expected the hotel prices are eye watering, even for shite looking ones. I've heard it's best to stay in some of the boroughs and get a subway/train to the city. Anyone done that before?

I've visited NYC a few times. I'm not rich, so I've always stayed in hostels.

Much, much cheaper! Not only that, you can actually meet people, which has never happened to me in a hotel.

If you don't want to sleep in a dorm, you can pay extra for a single room. Pure guess-3x more.

November or January, there won't be many travellers, so even if you're in a dorm there'll be few other people there.

Couple of years ago stayed in Chelsea hostel ( I think)- Manhattan-$30ish in January.

Stayed in a hostel in Borough Park, Brooklyn which was OK and cheaper, but it might not be open those months.

Wherever you go, make sure it's CLOSE to the subway and buy a 7 day pass for it.( last time I went $31).

Sorry, I haven't answered your question re:hotels. Too expensive.

Managed to get return flights to Dublin for £20 in September and flights to Oslo and Copenhagen in December for £75  :)

Copenhagen is my favourite place in the world, have you been before?  I went to Stockholm this summer which was great but I still prefer Copenhagen.  The beer is expensive but it depends what kind of holiday you want, these aren't countries you visit on a budget.

I've been to Copenhagen in Sept and Dec, it's cold in Dec so you'll need to wrap up warm but you won't really notice it.

If i were you post in the usa foxes forum i think some ny'ers are in there.

January is horrible month to be in nyc in terms of weather. Snow storms can bad on the northern east coast including up here in toronto area. Nyc never sleeps including winter but way better to see it in the summer, fall or spring.

Edited by Jattdogg

Bloody freezing those times of the year, especially January. I stayed at the Chelsea Star Hotel right by Times Square. The hotel was shit.

Going Hanoi in November.

I've been Ho Chi Minh City and loved it. I hope the North is as good. Doing the usual stuff...Ha Long Bay, staying on a junk for a few nights, that sort of stuff. Any other recommendations from FTers please?

Planning on raiding my wardrobe and taking along some old city shirts to give away. I did this in Ho Chi Minh City after a genuine Vietnamese Leicester fan spoke to me!!! He looked like he'd won the lottery when I gave it to him and I felt good!!!

Guest seanfox778

If i were you post in the usa foxes forum i think some ny'ers are in there.

January is horrible month to be in nyc in terms of weather. Snow storms can bad on the northern east coast including up here in toronto area. Nyc never sleeps including winter but way better to see it in the summer, fall or spring.

Bloody freezing those times of the year, especially January. I stayed at the Chelsea Star Hotel right by Times Square. The hotel was shit.

Thanks for your input guys. I may try and save a bit more money and try to head over in the spring. Edited by seanfox778

• 2 weeks later...

Off to Berlin during the small hours of tomorrow, it's somewhere I've always wanted to visit but just never got around to going, hoping to have good weather so I can see all the sites. Unfortunately it's international break or I would have loved to see Hertha play but it is not to be this time around

Going Hanoi in November.

I've been Ho Chi Minh City and loved it. I hope the North is as good. Doing the usual stuff...Ha Long Bay, staying on a junk for a few nights, that sort of stuff. Any other recommendations from FTers please?

Planning on raiding my wardrobe and taking along some old city shirts to give away. I did this in Ho Chi Minh City after a genuine Vietnamese Leicester fan spoke to me!!! He looked like he'd won the lottery when I gave it to him and I felt good!!!

When you go to Halong bay, don't book with a travel company. So easy to do yourself, I think we did train/bus, works out a fraction of the cost. There's also a hostel where you can book activities, as well as sleep. Name escapes me, it's right on a waterfront though. If you book through them, anything like kayaking is so cheap, we paid £4 each for a full day, with food included. I think it's ran by Aussies - might be slightly wrong here.

Booked Bruges for 2 nights in December.

Got decent prices on the Eurostar though hotels are really pricey compared to other European cities!

For its size it seems like 2 nights is more than enough time to spend there. Any recommendations/ hidden gems from anyone who has been before?

Got decent prices on the Eurostar though hotels are really pricey compared to other European cities!

For its size it seems like 2 nights is more than enough time to spend there. Any recommendations/ hidden gems from anyone who has been before?

RIBS N BEER!!!!!!!!! Book in advance of your trip by email.

T' poatersgat is one of the nicest bars I've ever been in.

2be is a kinda cross tacky and cool tourist shop but it's got an outdoor bar attached that's a really cool place to just chill with a beer.

Don't drink on the central market place it ramps the price up massively.

If you want to do museums, Google the Bruges city card, it's about forty euros but it gets you in everywhere. Do the math in advance to see if it's worthwhile for you.

I could spend a few days there just chilling in bars and eating fries tbh.

Spent a couple of days there earlier this year, we're not flashy travellers so had a meal and a drink in an Irish pub which was decent to be fair.

Also went in la Trappiste which we liked although busy. Underground bar where you can try different beers, 10 euros for a tray of 5 tasters.

You have to roughly know where things are though as places like this are easily missed.

We heard about ribs n beer too but left it too late to get a table.

The brewery tour was worth it just for the free pint of zot, reasonably priced too.

I enjoyed it there and a couple of days is probably enough.

Used to live there for three and a half years so I'm happy to help if there is anything you are specifically looking for.

You going with mates/missus if there is one? Go to the notorious Coppers nightclub (Full name is Copper Face Jacks -Google it) around 12.30am/1am if you're a single man, you'll clean up!

Guinness Storehouse tour is a bit boring but the view at the Gravity Bar is pretty cool.

Have a coffee in Bewleys on Grafton Street.

I might be biased but having been to a lot of places, I honestly think Dublin is best city in the world for pubs. Food? Not so much!

Copper face jacks now that is the strangest place I ever went in Dublin. Maybe we picked the wrong night. But 6 of us met a load of girls in the oliver st John in Temple Bar and got persuaded that was a good place to head. To the point where we did follow that taxi to get there. lol

Never felt so out of place in my life. Must have been bizarre night. Loads of blokes in leather, tats etc. Not a good scene.

Looking at doing Australia in March, anyone been around that time?

Route probably Syndey > Ayres Rock > Cairns > Melbourne / Brisbane.

Advice welcome..

I went end of march / start of April for 3 weeks. Did a week in Melbourne but went to the Grand Prix there , 3 days in Sydney (not enough) , Steve Irwin zoo, Fraser island and finished In Brisbane

lol at funny guy fin spouting ribs n beer like I didn't tip him off about it.

But seriously if in Bruges you must go there. Also go to cambrinus and the chocolate line.

No no, credit where it's due. Was a great shout.

You've already been thanked for your Bruges tips.

Edited by Finnegan