Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

13 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Locally, anywhere but a major city. 

You could try Southampton and take in the game while there. Though that may not go down too well with herself.

It's not too bad there. You have the Safari Park and the Zoo if you like that kind of thing. Plus some ncie restaurants.

Got our first proper holiday abroad since the summer before covid less than 2 weeks away and I cant wait, becoming pretty unproductive work wise! We've started looking for next year- May time, and fancied Montenegro but couldn't decide between us where we would want to go. We like your traditional fishing villages with plenty of restaurants and bars for the evening, but also as a base to go off and do different things. The compromise looks to be going back to Cavtat, Croatia, and doing a couple of day excursions from there.

• Like 2

On 13/09/2023 at 15:52, LcFc_Smiv said:

Got our first proper holiday abroad since the summer before covid less than 2 weeks away and I cant wait, becoming pretty unproductive work wise! We've started looking for next year- May time, and fancied Montenegro but couldn't decide between us where we would want to go. We like your traditional fishing villages with plenty of restaurants and bars for the evening, but also as a base to go off and do different things. The compromise looks to be going back to Cavtat, Croatia, and doing a couple of day excursions from there.

We stayed close to Ulcinj a few years ago, on the edge of Velika Plaza (Long Beach). Right close to the Albanian border. 

There was talk they were expecting mass redevelopment there in the coming years to appeal to tourists, but looks like it hasn't really happened.

Ulcinj itself is a nice little town. Very close to Lake Skadar, around which the views are absolutely phenomenal. A two-hour drive from Podgorica Airport, but I could quite easily have stayed on the coach for another hour, looking out of the window. We didn't, but I think you could also do trips across into the Albanian town of Shkoder quite easily. 

On 13/09/2023 at 15:52, LcFc_Smiv said:

Yeah Cavtat sounds ideal for what you want 

Just back from a few days in Budapest. Great city, really would recommend. But anyhow, main point of this post is to comment on Wizzair - what an absolute shitshow they are. On the way going we were delayed by about 4 hours, so didn’t get to the hotel until around 530am. Fine, these things happen. However, on the way back last night we were ahout half way into the flight when the captain announces that we hit a small bird on takeoff and so will have to land at Luton as they don’t have any maintenance crew in Birmingham. Land in Luton and we are sat there for over an hour, when suddenly they announce that we are going to be off boarded as lots of people had asked to get off (we were near the front so could hear the air stewards talking to people - 5 people max asked to get off).  Instead we would go on coaches which would be waiting for us at the exit. Long story short, of course there were no coaches, and the plane took off only a few minutes later completely empty. Seems they wanted rid of us to be able to have a quick turnaround in Birmingham. Bearing in mind this was 1030pm when we finally got off, I think it’s fair to say they didn’t meet their duty of care to passengers 

27 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Just back from a few days in Budapest. Great city, really would recommend. But anyhow, main point of this post is to comment on Wizzair - what an absolute shitshow they are. On the way going we were delayed by about 4 hours, so didn’t get to the hotel until around 530am. Fine, these things happen. However, on the way back last night we were ahout half way into the flight when the captain announces that we hit a small bird on takeoff and so will have to land at Luton as they don’t have any maintenance crew in Birmingham. Land in Luton and we are sat there for over an hour, when suddenly they announce that we are going to be off boarded as lots of people had asked to get off (we were near the front so could hear the air stewards talking to people - 5 people max asked to get off).  Instead we would go on coaches which would be waiting for us at the exit. Long story short, of course there were no coaches, and the plane took off only a few minutes later completely empty. Seems they wanted rid of us to be able to have a quick turnaround in Birmingham. Bearing in mind this was 1030pm when we finally got off, I think it’s fair to say they didn’t meet their duty of care to passengers 

That's shocking.

Did you/Will you lodge a complaint in?

27 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I’ve heard countless stories about these, the only airline I won’t fly on. Flights cancelled, flights just turning around half way and heading back to where they came from etc. horrendous 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I’ve heard countless stories about these, the only airline I won’t fly on. Flights cancelled, flights just turning around half way and heading back to where they came from etc. horrendous 

So had I, so in some ways only have myself to blame! My friend was determined to go to Budapest though and the flight options from Birmingham way aren’t great (I think you can go from East Mids too, but flight times were even worse). 

The frustrating thing is they have nice comfortable new planes - they could be decent if they focused more on their customers 

Edited by rachhere

18 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

That's shocking.

Did you/Will you lodge a complaint in?

Really positively one of the fellow passengers has offered to coordinate a group claim, so we can unite together against them. They are trying to use a loophole that you don’t have to compensate if it’s a bird strike, but our argument of course will be that the delay extends beyond passenger safety and became about them wanting to make up time (at our expense). 

• Like 1

Funny how abroad, when you go on a nightout you have guys and girls pushing you to go in their bars etc... 3 shots for £10 euros whatever deal they plug down yer... always welcome in any bar. The UK, there's bouncers on ever bar, asking for ID and will stop you going in if you got the wrong foot ware, no ID, look drunk, wrong dress code... and we wonder why some pubs and bars close down in the UK? 

10 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

We've just booked a late winter break in Egypt, Nile Cruise and a stay in Hurghada. Which I was really looking forward too. I think the flights are with Wizzair.  Great 😳

Hopefully we just had a particularly bad experience - they must function properly some of the time as they would have gone out of business otherwise! Sounds great anyway - would love to do a Nile cruise 

19 hours ago, rachhere said:

Really positively one of the fellow passengers has offered to coordinate a group claim, so we can unite together against them. They are trying to use a loophole that you don’t have to compensate if it’s a bird strike, but our argument of course will be that the delay extends beyond passenger safety and became about them wanting to make up time (at our expense). 

Contact Aviation ADR 

They sorted my problem with Wizzair very efficiently 

• Like 1