Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

6 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with Ryanair usually, they've got me and my children to many places much cheaper than other airlines, and the experience is pretty much exactly the same, we've used them dozens of times and have no complaints whatsoever. 

People complain about the customer service but, we had a flight back to Belfast cancelled after a weekend away in London. Received a text notifying us and requested we still report at check in time. By the time we arrived at Stansted, the hotel was assigned, we were given generous food and drink vouchers and booked on the following morning flight. I couldn't fault their handling of it at all. 

On 20/09/2023 at 09:04, RowlattsFox said:

Missed out this year so desperate to take my kids away next summer. Prices are obviously still ridiculous and budget is limited so best value appears to be Fuerteventura. Never been, imagine there is a reason its coming up the cheapest, and I know there is not much there but as long as there is a pool for the kids and good weather it will do the job. Anyone been and can recommend a particular resort? 

I stayed in Caleta de Fuste at Elba Carlota Hotel in April which is about half hour from the airport. I thought the area were very kid friendly,  my two years old was able to stroll around the promenade without worrying about scooters due to designated tracks for scooters.  There was a kids playground and small funfair next to the shopping mall.   The beach is pleasant enough and the hotel was good for kids with soft play, kid pool, kid clubs,  small amusement arcade and shows in the evening.    Probably be more crowded in the summer, I never had to reserve sun beds when I was there! 

The only con is the restaurants in the area were nothing special but I was happy to eat in the hotel due to having a young kid and cannot comment on atmosphere in main strip at nights.   We also used public transport coach to visit Correjao (sp) which was more livelier but the beach was bit rubbish for the day.   We did not went on further trips due to our kid being too young but reckon you can organise more trips easily enough.

It was our first holiday in a while and first one with our kid so while it is not a dreamy luxurious type it absolutely ticked all boxes in terms of having quality family time with decent enough swimming pool/beach in a pleasant enough area. 

• Thanks 1

On 21/09/2023 at 09:46, Tommy G said:

Ryanair do operate a young fleet of aircraft if that's your thing, they ordered 300 737 Max a few months ago. Big fan of Michael O'Leary, people think he's a cretin but he is a very astute and clever guy.

Found this out sitting on my plane to Palermo earlier this month. Made me a bit nervous tbh but thought 'well it can't happen three times surely'

2 hours ago, bovril said:

Found this out sitting on my plane to Palermo earlier this month. Made me a bit nervous tbh but thought 'well it can't happen three times surely'

I wouldn’t worry, easier said than done but all safety critical features on the max are resolved and have been for sometime. It’s likely now to be the safest aircraft out there after the FAA got hold of it. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I wouldn’t worry, easier said than done but all safety critical features on the max are resolved and have been for sometime. It’s likely now to be the safest aircraft out there after the FAA got hold of it. 

If you ignore the replacement to rear fins fixtures they're having to roll out across the fleet. 

Edited by Zear0

2 hours ago, Zear0 said:

If you ignore the replacement to rear fins fixtures they're having to roll out across the fleet. 

It’s not a safety of flight issue though? The media jump on it because it makes headlines. There are tonnes of non safety critical defects on all aircraft - be very similar to a car radio volume control not being made of the right material, or something equally as boring. It cost Spirit who manufacture those parts a tonne of money, but within the industry it’s commonplace. 

On 21/09/2023 at 05:55, Raj said:

Also thankfully  this far never had an issue with Ryanair.

You know what your getting and it does it well.

Also thankfully, they seem to have dropped the irritating, self-congratulatory klaxon thing when they arrive on time.

And on the subject of air travel, I don't understand the round of applause that occurs among passengers, when the plane lands. lol

Would you applaud your bus driver for getting you to Charles St without chucking the bus about? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Returned back from Kassandra of Halkidiki - hotel was superb especially with my fiancee's allergy. Good weather whilst there too. Understandably a lot of bars etc were closing for winter. Had a fabulous evening meal in Kripogi where the fella took 20% off for cash payment! 

We have a honeymoon next year - we were going to go long-haul but considering now doing a bit of a Greek tour as we really want to visit Paros. 

On 23/09/2023 at 19:13, Parafox said:

Also thankfully, they seem to have dropped the irritating, self-congratulatory klaxon thing when they arrive on time.

And on the subject of air travel, I don't understand the round of applause that occurs among passengers, when the plane lands. lol

Would you applaud your bus driver for getting you to Charles St without chucking the bus about? 

The first time I experienced that was on an horrendous flight from Cali to Quito where you made a stop in a field at the edge of a mountain on the Colombian/Ecuadorean border. Never seen so many prayer beads as we were smashed about and thrown around in the sky. I got exceptionally drunk for the return leg…which led to some very enthusiastic joining in of the old clapping. But yeh, plane clappers are cvnts. 

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

The first time I experienced that was on an horrendous flight from Cali to Quito where you made a stop in a field at the edge of a mountain on the Colombian/Ecuadorean border. Never seen so many prayer beads as we were smashed about and thrown around in the sky. I got exceptionally drunk for the return leg…which led to some very enthusiastic joining in of the old clapping. But yeh, plane clappers are cvnts. 

Landing in a field in a mountain field in South America in bad weather, probably deserves a bit of celebration.

Landing in Alicante in the summer, not so much.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Manini said:

Anyone got any Prague recommendations that aren’t Goldfingers? 

I don't know what Goldfingers is but if I could also jump on the back of Prague recommendations please! 

Heading there next Sept. Will be our first trip abroad with baby! 

Amsterdam - do you know of something awesome that no one else knows about and therefore might have passed me by?

Rome, I wouldn’t mind suggestions for an affordable+ but outstanding ristorante Italiano. Romantic setting would be decent too. 

9 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Has anyone ever actually had much success with AirBnb? I've made three bookings in the last week and every single one of them has been cancelled. With Booking.com I don't think I've ever had a single issue.

I haven't used AirBnB for about 3 or 4 years, since just before COVID. Not a fan and there are better alternatives out there for better value. Booking.com being one of them. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Has anyone ever actually had much success with AirBnb? I've made three bookings in the last week and every single one of them has been cancelled. With Booking.com I don't think I've ever had a single issue.

I’ve used AirBnb four times and three of them were a disaster (despite ‘excellent’ reviews)

May just be unlucky but I won’t be using them again.

Booking.com every time now. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I’ve used AirBnb four times and three of them were a disaster (despite ‘excellent’ reviews)

May just be unlucky but I won’t be using them again.

Booking.com every time now. 

The first two the other day were cancelled because of psychic double bookers but the last one today sent me a really aggressive message telling me to cancel it so it's now elevated into a full complaint lol.

I think I'll be sticking with Booking.com for now and start looking at house sitting places in the mean time.