Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

We've booked a weekend away at Burnham Thorpe on the East coast, due in 2 weeks. I was wondering if anyone has been there before. 

If so, what's it like?

Never been , but i'm guessing wet and windy.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Tempted to go to Norway next year, fly to Bergen and get the Bergen line train to Oslo. Has anyone done anything similar?

I can't answer this question, but how was your honeymoon? Did you get to see a game at the bar? Congratulations btw :)

3 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Tempted to go to Norway next year, fly to Bergen and get the Bergen line train to Oslo. Has anyone done anything similar?

I did similar but mainly through Sweden and it was one of the best trips I’ve done.

Started in Tromso Norway, then travelled down through Sweden including the sleeper train from Kiruna to Stockholm. Bergen looks great, Lofeten is someone I really need to go to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I've only cruised around the Fjords, up to the North Cape and back. Absolutely stunning country. Bloody expensive but definitely recommend. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I went there for our Honeymoon. As said above,a truly beautiful country and well worth a Visit bu bloody expensive. I brought the Car for getting around and had a wonderful time. We went up the west coast towards the midnight sun then across towards Sweden. Down to Lillehammer and on too Oslo. Then back to Bergen where we spent a few days and back to the UK. It cost me the price of a house back then. Which is crazy now that I think about it.

But some amazing stories and memories.

If you haven't been it's worth it to see the beauty of the Fjords and countryside. The people are loving also. Everyone so helpful.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

I've only cruised around the Fjords, up to the North Cape and back. Absolutely stunning country. Bloody expensive but definitely recommend. 

Everyone says this about it being expensive and I don’t doubt it. I’ve been looking at hotels and they seem reasonable. What is it in particular that’s expensive, food & drink?

20 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Everyone says this about it being expensive and I don’t doubt it. I’ve been looking at hotels and they seem reasonable. What is it in particular that’s expensive, food & drink?

I worked there a fair amount …. Truly stunning.…. I went up as far as lilliehamer, which is recommend 

expect to pay around £12 a pint

hotels aren’t too bad

food can be expensive too…. Try the ludfisk and some aquavit

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Hotels are not too bad but food drink and clothes very expensive.

We went for 3 weeks and I spent 1500 and that was in the early 70s.

We had an amazing time. We were invited to a Wedding afters, we visited a farm when we ran out of petrol. The lovely family gave us a bucket of petrol and didn't want to take any money.

We were put up n a 4 Story hotel that was closed. Etc ,I could go on.

I'm sure you won't regret it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I've not looked at hotel prices, but can confirm food and drink is expensive, not just alcohol. I'm sure we stopped for 2 coffees and cake, came out about £30 lighter :huh:

Mexico City is brilliant, vibrant, cool fun city full of character. There’s so much colour here. Very easy trip to organise. People are brilliantly helpful, funny and all round good. Off to the states next, not been since 2019, got to get back into the mode of being charged a fee for absolutely everything with no human touch or empathy. Hate their culture, it’s just a shame there’s so much to do there 

11 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Mexico City is brilliant, vibrant, cool fun city full of character. There’s so much colour here. Very easy trip to organise. People are brilliantly helpful, funny and all round good. Off to the states next, not been since 2019, got to get back into the mode of being charged a fee for absolutely everything with no human touch or empathy. Hate their culture, it’s just a shame there’s so much to do there 

Culture?

• Sad 1

On 07/10/2023 at 20:04, Parafox said:

We've booked a weekend away at Burnham Thorpe on the East coast, due in 2 weeks. I was wondering if anyone has been there before. 

If so, what's it like?

Nelson country!

That stretch of the coast is nice. Holkham bay is spectacular and Holme is also one of my favorite beaches. 

Some good pubs and beer around - they've been malting round there since Roman times. And if you're into ecclesiastical history Burnham Deepdale church has one of my favorite Norman fonts, and Burnham Norton church is also lovely. Blickling - home of the Boleyns - is not that far away either. Holkham Hall is closer and owned by the Earls of Leicester but I'm not sure if they're fans...

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

22 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Heading there in 2 weeks and then a flight to Zihuatanejo on the coast. Not quite sure what to expect but getting excited for it now. 

Edited by Shah johns

On 15/10/2023 at 07:38, slymunn said:

Going to Torbay, South Devon next May/June. Never being before but hoping for a nice few days away.

Went last summer for the first time in nearly 30 years.  It's really nice. Take a trip to Dawlish,  great place. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shah johns said:

Heading there in 2 weeks and then a flight to Zihuatanejo on the coast. Not quite sure what to expect but getting excited for it now. 

Awesome. You will love it. The metro is the easiest and cheapest way to get around. Street food is amazing. Tequila and mezcal obvs incredible. The culture and vibe is just cool, fun and friendly, people just wanna have fun. Report back wen you return! 

On 14/10/2023 at 17:38, Unabomber said:

It's in my plans for next year. Hopefully i'll fly to Bergen and then drive to Flam for the railway.

3 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Awesome. You will love it. The metro is the easiest and cheapest way to get around. Street food is amazing. Tequila and mezcal obvs incredible. The culture and vibe is just cool, fun and friendly, people just wanna have fun. Report back wen you return! 

I will do for sure. I’m just hoping it’s a trouble free fun few weeks. Thanks for the tip on the metro :) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slymunn said:

Has anyone travelled around Albania on here? Heard the transport options are awful, but interested to find out more if possible 😀

Spent a couple weeks hiking around Theth and the Valbona Valley area last year.

I'm not sure what the different options look like for transport, but travelling the main road from Tirana to Shkoder by coach wasn't too much hassle. Just wandered down to the local coach park and asked around for one going in the direction I needed. The coach was in decent condition.

If you're looking to head out into the country or mountains, it might take a little bit more planning. To get into the mountains, I pre-booked passage on a ferry / mini-bus with some people that are contactable online.

Where are you thinking of heading?

Edited by samlcfc