Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

15 hours ago, slymunn said:

Has anyone travelled around Albania on here? Heard the transport options are awful, but interested to find out more if possible 😀

Yes, a bit. Hired a driver for a few days, ask your hotel for contacts and negotiate. Outside of Tirana there aren’t many options for public transport 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, samlcfc said:

Spent a couple weeks hiking around Theth and the Valbona Valley area last year.

I'm not sure what the different options look like for transport, but travelling the main road from Tirana to Shkoder by coach wasn't too much hassle. Just wandered down to the local coach park and asked around for one going in the direction I needed. The coach was in decent condition.

If you're looking to head out into the country or mountains, it might take a little bit more planning. To get into the mountains, I pre-booked passage on a ferry / mini-bus with some people that are contactable online.

Where are you thinking of heading?

Still trying to work that out depending on the travel options. We will be going with a 2 year old so looking at ways around. But with no trains in the country (I believe) its just seeing whats about, whilst trying to avoid hiring a car.

Quite like the look of the southern part, but seen it might be earlier getting there from Corfu on the ferry.

16 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Going Iceland tomorrow for 6 days.

Hope it lives up to expectations.

Should be good. They have some great deals on frozen foods and it should be cosy sleeping out back in the storeroom.

I'm sorry. Please move this post to the Izzy Joke Thread. ;)

In all seriousness, hope you have a good time. It's a country I'd like to visit some day.

• Thanks 1

On 07/10/2023 at 20:04, Parafox said:

We've booked a weekend away at Burnham Thorpe on the East coast, due in 2 weeks. I was wondering if anyone has been there before. 

If so, what's it like?

On 07/10/2023 at 20:06, jonthefox said:

Never been , but i'm guessing wet and windy.

On 19/10/2023 at 21:26, bovril said:

Nelson country!

That stretch of the coast is nice. Holkham bay is spectacular and Holme is also one of my favorite beaches. 

Some good pubs and beer around - they've been malting round there since Roman times. And if you're into ecclesiastical history Burnham Deepdale church has one of my favorite Norman fonts, and Burnham Norton church is also lovely. Blickling - home of the Boleyns - is not that far away either. Holkham Hall is closer and owned by the Earls of Leicester but I'm not sure if they're fans...

@jonthefox We arrived the day Storm Babet hit so yes, extremely wet. Very grey and windy. Tried to make it to Cromer but had to turn back due to flooding.

@bovrilManaged walks to Holkham and Thornham beaches today before the rain returned. 

The local pub in the village, The Lord Nelson, is cracking and the man himself used it when he lived here. 

As we drove around in the rain we saw several pubs that looked worth a visit.

It's a lovely unspoilt and uncrowded area. Maybe a return visit will be in the offing when the weather is better.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Parafox said:

@jonthefox We arrived the day Storm Babet hit so yes, extremely wet. Very grey and windy. Tried to make it to Cromer but had to turn back due to flooding.

@bovrilManaged walks to Holkham and Thornham beaches today before the rain returned. 

The local pub in the village, The Lord Nelson, is cracking and the man himself used it when he lived here. 

As we drove around in the rain we saw several pubs that looked worth a visit.

It's a lovely unspoilt and uncrowded area. Maybe a return visit will be in the offing when the weather is better.

Glad to hear the Nelson is doing well. It went downhill and then closed but I'd heard they were reopening soon. Do they still have the bar behind the corner shop style counter? 

Holkham in this weather sounds... bracing 

Edited by bovril

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Going Iceland tomorrow for 6 days.

Hope it lives up to expectations.

It’s great but as others have said expensive for eating out 

Reykjavik is a cool little place (not just literally) 

We found a nice little pancake house up at the cathedral end of the town which was quite reasonable 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Really nice island with some great history 

Must admit, I didn't indulge in that this time because I went there to be a lazy sod and enjoy the hospitality, so left the hotel literally twice. 

Also, our kids are of an age where they're relatively hard to drag about without them moaning blind so it takes the fun out of it, and we've done a fair bit of it before anyway.

But they are of an age, it turns out, where they can make friends and disappear off around the hotel complex having a grand old time and only briefly be banned from the waterslides. Meant we could actually talk to our friends a bit, great stuff

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Have a fantastic time, we went last year and found it a place like no other, make use of the happy hours though as food and drink can be expensive. 

Cheers mate. Just arrived and headed straight for the Blue Lagoon. Currently queuing to get in with about 1000 Japanese tourists :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Just got back from Crete. Third visit, ever I mean, not this year, that would be insane.

I do love it though

Where did you fly from pal.

Would it be decent weather in Easter?

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Just got back from Crete. Third visit, ever I mean, not this year, that would be insane.

I do love it though

2 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Really nice island with some great history 

We are going to Heraklion for the day, a week on Tuesday. We are just planning to explore the town by ourselves, I've a couple of places noted to visit. Any recommendations of must-see places?

3 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

We are going to Heraklion for the day, a week on Tuesday. We are just planning to explore the town by ourselves, I've a couple of places noted to visit. Any recommendations of must-see places?

Don’t know Heraklion 

We stayed near Chania one time and then just up from Spinalonga (Europe’s last leper colony) another which was very interesting to see 

General link below 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g189413-Activities-c47-t17-Crete.html

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Cheers mate. Just arrived and headed straight for the Blue Lagoon. Currently queuing to get in with about 1000 Japanese tourists :rolleyes:

All with lanyards with mobile phones in a waterproof bag too?  Don't waste your money smearing that mud s**te on your face, waste it at the bar instead.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Raj said:

Where did you fly from pal.

Would it be decent weather in Easter?

When does it fall next year? I've never been that early but from what I've read it can be alright in April (cool evenings though) but not guaranteed. I think the earliest we've been is May and that was great

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Apparently the museum is very good. Our friends went on a trip to Knossos and they said that wasn't as good as they'd expected, and one of the reasons was that a lot of the "good stuff" (that the British hadn't nicked anyway) had been transferred to the museum in Heraklion

30 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Don’t know Heraklion 

We stayed near Chania one time and then just up from Spinalonga (Europe’s last leper colony) another which was very interesting to see 

General link below 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g189413-Activities-c47-t17-Crete.html

Spinalonga's mad, isn't it? Fascinating place

7 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Apparently the museum is very good. Our friends went on a trip to Knossos and they said that wasn't as good as they'd expected, and one of the reasons was that a lot of the "good stuff" (that the British hadn't nicked anyway) had been transferred to the museum in Heraklion

Thanks. We weren't that fussed about excursions around the Island, happy to explore the local town, we've enjoyed doing that in a number of small places. That and the fact we've got several £100/150pp excursions booked, a few ports of economy sightseeing was needed!