Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 15/10/2023 at 01:01, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Tuscany next June, staying near in Pisa, first time in Italy. 

Always try and go a bit,round the corner away from tourists,waterholes restaurants…Italians even have great small festivals,with little Alcohol…

Many town and older cities,are museums within themselves..

Various small music gatherings & concerts…Classical,Opera Arias,modern..

Markets have their own ambiante and decent local faire ,day or evening.

Tuscany is just beautiful…also look out for natural Spas,wallowing in a field,or more organised bath-houses.

Great choice of either Fish restaurants or off the land faire. Be wise,on 1st,2nd,3rd offerings,structure ,one choice can be more than enough..

Some entry fees to any site seeing day,can be expensive,look for coupons’special days…

10 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Always try and go a bit,round the corner away from tourists,waterholes restaurants…Italians even have great small festivals,with little Alcohol…

Many town and older cities,are museums within themselves..

Various small music gatherings & concerts…Classical,Opera Arias,modern..

Markets have their own ambiante and decent local faire ,day or evening.

Tuscany is just beautiful…also look out for natural Spas,wallowing in a field,or more organised bath-houses.

Great choice of either Fish restaurants or off the land faire. Be wise,on 1st,2nd,3rd offerings,structure ,one choice can be more than enough..

Some entry fees to any site seeing day,can be expensive,look for coupons’special days…

That’s fantastic advice, thanks. Literally cannot wait but I do have Vienna in January beforehand 😊

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

Thanks. We weren't that fussed about excursions around the Island, happy to explore the local town, we've enjoyed doing that in a number of small places. That and the fact we've got several £100/150pp excursions booked, a few ports of economy sightseeing was needed!

There's LOADS of supposedly must see places around Crete (and the other Greek islands of course) but my favourite thing is just to find any village or town with a waterfront and and ideally a family run taverna where you can see the water and just let them look after you. Covers all my favourite things about Greece - the lovely people, who are just so friendly and welcoming (although my mate did find some "f*** tourists" graffiti in Heraklion), the ace food and how amazing the sea is. It's always crystal clear and just full of life, and even by busy seafronts is nearly always teeming with different sorts of fish including some excitingly large ones, in marked contrast to the grey, sewage infused murk around our own fair isle

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

There's LOADS of supposedly must see places around Crete (and the other Greek islands of course) but my favourite thing is just to find any village or town with a waterfront and and ideally a family run taverna where you can see the water and just let them look after you. Covers all my favourite things about Greece - the lovely people, who are just so friendly and welcoming (although my mate did find some "f*** tourists" graffiti in Heraklion), the ace food and how amazing the sea is. It's always crystal clear and just full of life, and even by busy seafronts is nearly always teeming with different sorts of fish including some excitingly large ones, in marked contrast to the grey, sewage infused murk around our own fair isle

Absolutely, we've toured a few, but that's just our plan for all of Trieste, Katakolon, Crete and Rhodes. Gentle sightseeing and a sea front taverna.  Before we get to the heavy-duty sightseeing tours in Egypt, Jordan, Oman :)  (assuming no escalation of Middle East hostilities :mellow:). Relax again in Mauritius and a then a few days safari and beach in South Africa.

23 hours ago, bovril said:

Glad to hear the Nelson is doing well. It went downhill and then closed but I'd heard they were reopening soon. Do they still have the bar behind the corner shop style counter? 

Holkham in this weather sounds... bracing 

Yes they do.

There's also a new extension housing a decent sized restaurant area as an addition to the small rooms.

It's pricey though.

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

Absolutely, we've toured a few, but that's just our plan for all of Trieste, Katakolon, Crete and Rhodes. Gentle sightseeing and a sea front taverna.  Before we get to the heavy-duty sightseeing tours in Egypt, Jordan, Oman :)  (assuming no escalation of Middle East hostilities :mellow:). Relax again in Mauritius and a then a few days safari and beach in South Africa.

Western cape have some nice beaches…its what’s in the water,which I’d worry about..Foylefox..shark tit-bits…

Human Sushi,for sharks..

• Sad 1

On 20/10/2023 at 22:37, grobyfox1990 said:

Awesome. You will love it. The metro is the easiest and cheapest way to get around. Street food is amazing. Tequila and mezcal obvs incredible. The culture and vibe is just cool, fun and friendly, people just wanna have fun. Report back wen you return! 

Would you recommend it to a group of lads for a boozy and activities filled trip?

43 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Would you recommend it to a group of lads for a boozy and activities filled trip?

That's exactly what I did! Group of mates from uni and we have now all moved out of London, CDMX was a new place for all of us. The partying is high level, good clubs good cocktails, tequilla etc. Absolutely tons of activities and sightseeing during the day.

• Thanks 1

On 22/10/2023 at 18:30, fuchsntf said:

Western cape have some nice beaches…its what’s in the water,which I’d worry about..Foylefox..shark tit-bits…

Human Sushi,for sharks..

To be fair there is more to worry about in the temperature of the water in SA than the sharks

On 22/10/2023 at 11:36, Izzy said:

Cheers mate. Just arrived and headed straight for the Blue Lagoon. Currently queuing to get in with about 1000 Japanese tourists :rolleyes:

In which hotel are you staying in?

If you're into steak etc., very much recommend both 'Kopar' (on the harbour) and 'Steikhúsið' in the town.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

In which hotel are you staying in?

If you're into steak etc., very much recommend both 'Kopar' (on the harbour) and 'Steikhúsið' in the town.

Cheers mate. 
We’re at a place in Kopavogsbaer which is about 10km southeast of Reykjavik centre.

People weren’t kidding about the prices round here :o

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

To be fair there is more to worry about in the temperature of the water in SA than the sharks

We're not going to the Western Cape but you're not selling this to me :D

So if the whole holiday isn't off, which I'm not sure about as yet, and I survive the missiles from Israel, the pirates from Somalia, the sea is going to get me in SA. Great....

Currently planning a trip next year - Florence and Tuscany, Bologna, a day in Rome to go to the Borghese as we couldn't last time, then down to Naples and the Amalfi coast. Any recommendations would be good, particularly where to stay in Naples/Bologna and best things to do/see round the Amalfi coast?

14 hours ago, bmt said:

Currently planning a trip next year - Florence and Tuscany, Bologna, a day in Rome to go to the Borghese as we couldn't last time, then down to Naples and the Amalfi coast. Any recommendations would be good, particularly where to stay in Naples/Bologna and best things to do/see round the Amalfi coast?

Best place to stay in Naples is not in Naples.

14 hours ago, bmt said:

Joking, or partly, aside I think I stayed in Chiaia which is a very small part of Naples but had a much nicer feel than the rest of the city.

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Joking, or partly, aside I think I stayed in Chiaia which is a very small part of Naples but had a much nicer feel than the rest of the city.

Yeah - we have friends from there so have some recs but wondered if anyone else had any. Thanks will have a look

Two days in Trieste, those who said it was very nice were correct.

Unfortunately, my trip incorporating Egypt and Jordan no longer includes either 😕 

Very disappointing but the obvious safety concerns are understandable. Although, I'm not convinced there are issues with tourists in Egypt.

A further disappointment, last time I sailed on the ship I'm about to embark, our Captain was Captain Maresca. I was hoping it was again and to find out if he's any relation to Enzo 😂

3 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

How's Iceland, @Izzy?

Literally just got back home from Luton airport mate.

Had an amazing time - what a place. We squeezed so much into 5 days, I'm absolutely exhausted.

Highlights were driving down to Vik and the waterfalls on the way, going to the Blue Lagoon, exploring the Lava tunnels, the cathedral at Reykjavik, and seeing the Northern Lights.

Such a cool place and chill vibe. Despite everything costing three times what it does here, it was worth every penny.

Iceland should be protected at all costs as a world heritage natural place of beauty.

• Like 2

Texas (Austin, Houston, San Antonio) was a lot of fun. Everything is HUGE and plastic, people are very friendly and every food you can imagine is available here. Quite unnerving seeing so many people in bars carrying guns after a good few drinks.

Going to South France for a two days for a wedding in a few weeks. After the food, fun, sights, smells, sounds, scenery and all round FUN of Mexico City and Texas, it's going to be a helluva comedown going to some French dump with uninspiring scenery, tasteless food and bland people