Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

No idea why brown bars aren’t more popular in Amsterdam. Shite tourist bars in the Leidseplein were heaving yet 50metres left, right or down would’ve delivered them to a proper authentic cosy bar not charging £8 a pint.

I intended on getting baked at some point, but seeing the gangs of lads ripped to the tits being dull idiots was enough to completely put me off.

We popped up to the red light area to visit a bar we used to go to decades ago. What have they done to that place? It’s vile. And like the Damrak, stupidly heaving. We’ll not visit that part of the city again. I can understand why the Dutch grew to hate budget tourists now.

On 17/12/2023 at 12:47, FoyleFox said:

Anyone been to the Aix-en-Provence region? Looking at a holiday from Marseille and then a few days in the region. Hire a car and a drive around type thing. 

I was hoping someone else could help as I’ve not been for about 20 years. One of my family had a house in the Luberon and another in the Camargue so used to visit regularly. 
Aix is very pretty, apparently where most French people would like to retire. It’s a lot more laid back and relaxed than Marseille but I reckon you’ll only want to spend a day or two there at most. Famous for its fountains. The area around is very picturesque, typical Provence countryside, lots of vineyards, local cheeses and the like. What time of year are you going? 

On 17/12/2023 at 13:47, FoyleFox said:

Anyone been to the Aix-en-Provence region? Looking at a holiday from Marseille and then a few days in the region. Hire a car and a drive around type thing. 

28 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

I was hoping someone else could help as I’ve not been for about 20 years. One of my family had a house in the Luberon and another in the Camargue so used to visit regularly. 
Aix is very pretty, apparently where most French people would like to retire. It’s a lot more laid back and relaxed than Marseille but I reckon you’ll only want to spend a day or two there at most. Famous for its fountains. The area around is very picturesque, typical Provence countryside, lots of vineyards, local cheeses and the like. What time of year are you going? 

We were there last year, but only as a stopover on the way to Italy. We liked what we saw, though, and said we will return to see it properly.

We have stayed in Port Grimaud, which is further round the coast near St Tropez, and that was lovely. They call it the Venice of France because of the way it's built round the water, it really is a lovely part of France, but possibly too far from Marseille. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jgtuk said:

We'll be there end of June. Depending on what return flights suit best we'll probably stay for 4 to 6 nights. Have a drive around a few towns - vineyards and cheese, what's not to like :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slymunn said:

Going to Malaga in March for a city break. Only flown into Malaga before and never spent time in the city, so looking forward to it.

Previously the same but stayed for 4 nights in April. Very pleasantly surprised by how nice it was. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

We'll be there end of June. Depending on what return flights suit best we'll probably stay for 4 to 6 nights. Have a drive around a few towns - vineyards and cheese, what's not to like :D

Best time to go imo. Migratory birds mostly returned (if you’re into birdwatching), lavender fields should be coming into bloom and temperature normally high 20’s by then. 
Have a great time. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lako42 said:

It's great

Goes downhill the minute you leave for the British coast 

I think thats a bit unfair, there are plenty of areas that aren't brits abroad, and some nice towns. 

Benidorm on the other hand, round the corner, is a shambles. 

17 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

We were there last year, but only as a stopover on the way to Italy. We liked what we saw, though, and said we will return to see it properly.

We have stayed in Port Grimaud, which is further round the coast near St Tropez, and that was lovely. They call it the Venice of France because of the way it's built round the water, it really is a lovely part of France, but possibly too far from Marseille. 

Port Grimaud certainly looks lovely and isn't necessarily too far. We arrive back from a cruise into Marseille and currently have no fixed plan. The other half has repeatedly said about wishing to explore areas of France. It seemed an ideal opportunity to hire a car and have a look around. Although, we've presently no idea where exactly. Driving along the coast and then circle back through the countryside is an option. I've sorted the cruise so I'm happy, anything extra is just a bonus in my book. 

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, slymunn said:

Going to Malaga in March for a city break. Only flown into Malaga before and never spent time in the city, so looking forward to it.

Malaga is surprisingly v cool. Went there for 3 days last year on a last min deal that was cheaper than our normal life. Picasso exhibition, cathedral, roman theatre, el pimpi restaurant were good. Day trip to Gibraltar to watch the dolphins. Day trip to Seville also possible but did not have time for that. The hotel resort villages around there are horrendously boring, avoid, not worth the time

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Malaga is surprisingly v cool. Went there for 3 days last year on a last min deal that was cheaper than our normal life. Picasso exhibition, cathedral, roman theatre, el pimpi restaurant were good. Day trip to Gibraltar to watch the dolphins. Day trip to Seville also possible but did not have time for that. The hotel resort villages around there are horrendously boring, avoid, not worth the time

Sounds good! I have done Gibraltar before so we are giving it a pass this time. 

Will have a 1 year old with us so will have to see how many museums we can get to enjoy. Hopefully get to see enough, but it looks like there is plenty to do.

6 hours ago, bmt said:

Just booked flights for a 9 day trip to Florence, Bologna (1 day), Rome (1 day), Naples and Amalfi Coast in May. Well excited.

We're doing Italy in May.

Fly into Bari, spend 2 nights there. Then trains to Naples, Rome, Florence, Verona & finally to Venice.

Spending 2/3 nights in each city. Never been to Italy before.....can't wait

38 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

Fly into Bari, spend 2 nights there. Then trains to Naples, Rome, Florence, Verona & finally to Venice.

We went to Rome last year and immediately decided to go again this year lol. Your itinerary looks really good. Would recommend staying in Travestere in Rome.

I'm really excited

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bmt said:

Just booked flights for a 9 day trip to Florence, Bologna (1 day), Rome (1 day), Naples and Amalfi Coast in May. Well excited.

Nice and easy to pop between those on the train. Absolutely love Rome and Bologna. Was less keen on Florence, but it's still a great place to visit. I haven't done Naples yet but there's lots of fun to be had around there!

23 hours ago, bmt said:

17 hours ago, STEVIE B said:

2024 is obviously the year for Italy. We are doing Palermo, Naples and Florence. 1 day in each, in June.

Venice is beautiful, be nice in May, not too hot.

• Like 2

Just returned from a few days in Benidorm and can confirm the above comments lol

Luckily was based in the old town overlooking the little harbour but the state of the strip and the square and the people in it was absolutely grim.

Families openly doing lines off the outside tables, coked up youths fighting all over, and the way the Brits spoke to and treated the locals and bar staff was beyond anything ive seen before, I genuinely didn't believe people like that still existed.

On the plus side, of all the places ive been lucky enough to visit in Spain over the years I never expected to eat possibly the best Tapas dishes ive ever eaten in my life right in the middle of Benidorm old town.