Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

1 hour ago, jonthefox said:

Has anyone been to Brazil?. Seriously thinking of going next year.

Yes Rio, fantastic city full of life, colour, flavour, vibrancy and scenes like you’ve never seen. Copacabana is what a beach should be, match at the maracana is a must. Don’t act the fool though as you will be attacked, loads of petty crime 

59 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Booked Japan for 10 nights in November. Planning on doing time In Tokyo and Kyoto, anyone gone to Osaka? Worth it? I’ve heard mixed things so unsure what to do on that one.

I was booked for Osaka in March 2020, I thought it looked very nice. Obviously, didn't get to go though. 

54 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I was booked for Osaka in March 2020, I thought it looked very nice. Obviously, didn't get to go though. 

It does look good, but I’m thinking Tokyo and Kyoto look better and was wondering if there is another place/couple of places I could go to instead of another mega city.

10 hours ago, jonthefox said:

Has anyone been to Brazil?. Seriously thinking of going next year.

Brazil is huge, any idea whereabouts or what type of visit you want? 
I spent a few months there years ago, bought an airline ticket which allowed 1 months flights internally as long as you didn’t backtrack. 
I wouldn’t go just for Rio. I preferred Manaus personally, gateway to the Amazon so you can take a boat on the tributaries, Solimoes into the Rio Negro. Lots of amazing wildlife, giant iguana, Sloth, Pink River Dolphin etc. 

I went to Rio, Sao Paolo, Curitiba, Salvador, Florianopolis, Manaus and more (my memory is fading)
I flew into Paraguay (Asuncion) to see the Iguazu falls on the Rio Parana and on to The Pantanal in Mata Grosso. 
An incredible and diverse country, much more than Sugar Loaf and Copacabana. 

• Like 2

After some suggestions please. 

I'm wanting to take my girlfriend away for a couple of nights at the start of Feb. Looking at booking a cottage somewhere but can't decide where. Have looked at York, Peak District and Stratford so far. We live in Norfolk but would be ok travelling around a 3 hour drive

After somewhere with nice walks but maybe not too far from a town/pub

Edited by foxfanazer

23 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Brazil is huge, any idea whereabouts or what type of visit you want? 
I spent a few months there years ago, bought an airline ticket which allowed 1 months flights internally as long as you didn’t backtrack. 
I wouldn’t go just for Rio. I preferred Manaus personally, gateway to the Amazon so you can take a boat on the tributaries, Solimoes into the Rio Negro. Lots of amazing wildlife, giant iguana, Sloth, Pink River Dolphin etc. 

I went to Rio, Sao Paolo, Curitiba, Salvador, Florianopolis, Manaus and more (my memory is fading)
I flew into Paraguay (Asuncion) to see the Iguazu falls on the Rio Parana and on to The Pantanal in Mata Grosso. 
An incredible and diverse country, much more than Sugar Loaf and Copacabana. 

Well Rio initially , but i'm just at the start of the planning process. I've been told the coastal area around Rio ( not copacabana) is stunning. 

29 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I'm wanting to take my girlfriend away for a couple of nights at the start of Feb. Looking at booking a cottage somewhere but can't decide where. Have looked at York, Peak District and Stratford so far. We live in Norfolk but would be ok travelling around a 3 hour drive

Stow on the wold is a good base if you’re interested in the Cotswolds. Plenty of bits to do there but depends what you’re after.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

Well Rio initially , but i'm just at the start of the planning process. I've been told the coastal area around Rio ( not copacabana) is stunning. 

I had friends in Rio so stayed there for a while on another trip. My mother had an apartment just south of Rio, Barra De Tijuca, so did quite a bit of driving along the coast to the south. It is beautiful in parts but the roads were very busy, even back then. There’s a ton of things to do around Rio if that’s where you’re looking to stay. 
@grobyfox1990 is right, the Maracana is amazing if you can get to a match. Brazil is football bonkers so get to Copacabana or Ipanema and ask to join in a game of beach football if you’re up for being embarrassed by a 12 yr old lol
Florianopolis is amazingly beautiful and has fantastic surf and beaches but maybe a bit far away if driving, I think it took 2 days, with overnight stop, to Rio. 
Crime is rife in Rio. Pickpockets, muggings and theft from cars is common. If a street kid wants money to protect your car whilst on the beach, pay him! 
Carnival time is a good time to go but again, there is so much more to Brazil.

7 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

After somewhere with nice walks but maybe not too far from a town/pub

Took the wife to Whitby last Feb. 

Stopped for a walk on the moors on the way and to see the Harry Potter station in the snow. Waves crashing over the harbour walls, fresh fish suppers, cosy pubs, hunting fossils on the beach and a bracing walk up to the Abbey and along the cliffs to the old lighthouse. 

Ideal time of year for it imo. Relatively empty in town, some cracking tea shops, and perfect weather for the Bram Stoker scenery. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 28/12/2023 at 16:52, Daggers said:

Took the wife to Whitby last Feb. 

Never heard it called that before :ph34r:

Seriously, there's loads of nice places there and it's a terminus for the North Yorks Moors Railway.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

On 27/12/2023 at 23:45, Costock_Fox said:

It does look good, but I’m thinking Tokyo and Kyoto look better and was wondering if there is another place/couple of places I could go to instead of another mega city.

Kyoto is pretty similar to Tokyo, but you have to experience the city in a different order.

• Haha 1

Any suggestions for a holiday for my wife’s 40th? We’re thinking a city with plenty to do for a week, nice restaurants. We’ve been to New York & Rome a couple of times before so both are ruled out. She initially wanted a luxury holiday - Maldives, something along those lines, but is now leaning towards somewhere with more to do/see. 

I thought possibly Mexico or Tokyo but don’t know much about either place.

TIA

8 minutes ago, Turtles Head said:

Any suggestions for a holiday for my wife’s 40th? We’re thinking a city with plenty to do for a week, nice restaurants. We’ve been to New York & Rome a couple of times before so both are ruled out. She initially wanted a luxury holiday - Maldives, something along those lines, but is now leaning towards somewhere with more to do/see. 

TIA

Mexico City is fantastic, highly recommend. If not, Costa Rica

10 minutes ago, Turtles Head said:

TIA

If you're open to visiting the US again, would recommend Chicago, or a combination of Philadelphia and Washington DC. Great dining, events, history and sights in all of them, and the latter are a quick train ride from each other. Plenty of flights to all destinations, too. Ultimately depends on the time of year and weather...Chicago can be rough in the winter.

21 minutes ago, Turtles Head said:

TIA

I'll always recommend Palermo. Enough beaches and sights nearby for two weeks at least, and some superb places to eat. You could go to Teatro Massimo one evening - one of the best in the world. Just don't stay in the old town.

Or what about Venice? An obvious choice but so many places nearby that are good for day trips. And still the most beautiful city in the world in my mind.

4 minutes ago, bovril said:

I'll always recommend Palermo. Enough beaches and sights nearby for two weeks at least, and some superb places to eat. You could go to Teatro Massimo one evening - one of the best in the world. Just don't stay in the old town.

Or what about Venice? An obvious choice but so many places nearby that are good for day trips. And still the most beautiful city in the world in my mind.

I'd love to go to Palermo, but don't know much about it. What is it about the old town that leads you to advise against staying there?

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'd love to go to Palermo, but don't know much about it. What is it about the old town that leads you to advise against staying there?

Quite noisy and chaotic, and restaurants often geared towards tourists. There are loads of great sights to see during the day, but in the evening I much prefer the quieter, smarter streets in the northern half of the city

Just now, bovril said:

Quite noisy and chaotic, and restaurants often geared towards tourists. There are loads of great sights to see during the day, but in the evening I much prefer the quieter, smarter streets in the northern half of the city

Thank you, that's very helpful. Do you speak Italian, or did you get by without?

Are skiing holidays markedly more expensive than a normal holiday? Never really given it much thought until recently and as nauseating social climber it seems up my street 

8 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Are skiing holidays markedly more expensive than a normal holiday? Never really given it much thought until recently and as nauseating social climber it seems up my street 

Yes, a close friend of mine constantly whinges how much it has gone up in price these past 3 years since covid. He was chucking a £10K figure about for 3 of them for a week 

• Like 1