Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Thank you, that's very helpful. Do you speak Italian, or did you get by without?

I speak some Italian as I lived there for a couple of years. You can get by without though. In recent years the city has really embraced tourism and most young people speak it well.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Kyoto is pretty similar to Tokyo, but you have to experience the city in a different order.

I hovered over this earlier and didn’t really want to reply lol 

3 hours ago, Turtles Head said:

Any suggestions for a holiday for my wife’s 40th? We’re thinking a city with plenty to do for a week, nice restaurants. We’ve been to New York & Rome a couple of times before so both are ruled out. She initially wanted a luxury holiday - Maldives, something along those lines, but is now leaning towards somewhere with more to do/see. 

I thought possibly Mexico or Tokyo but don’t know much about either place.

TIA

I was in The Maldives last month, incredible place. Can see why she might want more stuff to do though and generally I do when I go away but it’s unreal. The snorkelling is insane, Swam with Manta rays, turtles, loads of other rays, dolphins etc etc.

Id convince her to change her mind is what im getting at 😂 

• Like 1

On 28/12/2023 at 08:48, foxfanazer said:

After some suggestions please. 

I'm wanting to take my girlfriend away for a couple of nights at the start of Feb. Looking at booking a cottage somewhere but can't decide where. Have looked at York, Peak District and Stratford so far. We live in Norfolk but would be ok travelling around a 3 hour drive

After somewhere with nice walks but maybe not too far from a town/pub

May I suggest Northumberland?

Any of the places on this map are well worth a visit.

There's coastal and moorland walks.

Alnwick Castle is Hogwarts and has featured in other films such as Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and Downton among other films. It also has stunning gardens.

There's lots to see and do.

image.png.c8d9f854a232776fc824384215c7c798.png

The only issue might be the time of year for places like Alnwick being open. 

Otherwise the area is easily accessible and has great locations even out of season.

You could even visit Rothbury where Gazza had one of his less memorable moments during the Ralph Moat case. lol

Edited by Parafox
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Alnwick Castle is Hogwarts and has featured in other films such as Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and Downton among other films. It also has stunning gardens.

Otherwise the area is easily accessible and has great locations even out of season.

From initially thinking Maldives to doing Northumberland in feb would be a helluva surprise for his wife. Assume he won’t be asking us for 41st bday ideas. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

From initially thinking Maldives to doing Northumberland in feb would be a helluva surprise for his wife. Assume he won’t be asking us for 41st bday ideas. 

Are looking at the same post or have I missed something?

I'm replying to @foxfanazer

Edited by Parafox
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

Are looking at the same post or have I missed something?

I'm replying to @foxfanazer

Sorry, you have not missed something, I have!!! Thought you’d quoted the post about a 40th idea 
Your list is brilliant btw. I did something similar in sept 2021, from initially thinking we were going to Ibiza to my wife saying it’d be easier to do a 3 nights in Northumberland. Good trip but yeh I’m still annoyed about that..

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Sorry, you have not missed something, I have!!! Thought you’d quoted the post about a 40th idea 
Your list is brilliant btw. I did something similar in sept 2021, from initially thinking we were going to Ibiza to my wife saying it’d be easier to do a 3 nights in Northumberland. Good trip but yeh I’m still annoyed about that..

I made the same mistake and I actually thought kudos to Parafox for suggesting Northumberland 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I was in The Maldives last month, incredible place. Can see why she might want more stuff to do though and generally I do when I go away but it’s unreal. The snorkelling is insane, Swam with Manta rays, turtles, loads of other rays, dolphins etc etc.

Id convince her to change her mind is what im getting at 😂 

The Maldives is an amazing place. I’ve been 4 times now, different island groups each time. It’s not for everyone though, no tv, internet, newspapers etc. but I love it. I live in the sea every waking hour, mostly snorkelling but always try and get a dive or two in. 
Kids spend all week in the lagoon trying to catch Black tipped sharks or turtles. 
Did a twenty day trip back in 2016, 10 in Sri Lanka and 10 in Maldives with seaplane transfers. 

11 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Booked Bologna in Feb as featured elsewhere - a search online suggests an absolute massive amount of recommended bars and restaurants. If anyone has any personal experience and would recommend that would be great. 

Went a few years back and loved it. It's just a great place to walk around. I didn't get a chance to do it, but you should deffo head up to Santuario Madonna di San Luca and do the portico walkway all the way back into town. I think it's the longest covered walkway in the world and you go by the Bologna stadium (https://bolognauncovered.com/2019/01/18/walking-bologna-portico-san-luca/). Parma, Modena and Florence are all short train rides away too for a day trip. Here's some of the standard stuff I liked below:

Piazza Santo Stefano - lovely little piazza to have a drink/relax

Mercato Di Mezzo - Indoor food market with traditional Italian vendors. It's good in the evening and even got a craft beer place in there too

Cremeria la Vecchia Stalla - best ice cream i've ever had

Mercato delle erbe - more of a fresh fruit/veg market but still a few decent food stalls and lots of bars nearby

Cluricaune Irish Pub - good for the footy and one of the better Irish pubs abroad

Via del Pretello - seem to remember this being the best area for bars, but might be wrong 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jgtuk said:

The Maldives is an amazing place. I’ve been 4 times now, different island groups each time. It’s not for everyone though, no tv, internet, newspapers etc. but I love it. I live in the sea every waking hour, mostly snorkelling but always try and get a dive or two in. 
Kids spend all week in the lagoon trying to catch Black tipped sharks or turtles. 
Did a twenty day trip back in 2016, 10 in Sri Lanka and 10 in Maldives with seaplane transfers. 

Tell me you wipe your arse on £50 notes without telling me 😂 

Only messing, the islands I’ve been to have TV, internet isnt great but like you say the sea is much better entertainment.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Tell me you wipe your arse on £50 notes without telling me 😂 

Only messing, the islands I’ve been to have TV, internet isnt great but like you say the sea is much better entertainment.

I choose places with no outside world contact, wife thinks it’s coincidence 😂

37 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Haha which islands have you been to?

First time was Biyadhoo (my favourite ) second was Mirihi (kids favourite), can’t remember the third but last one was Velidhoo (flew from Sri Lanka). 

All were on the lower/mid price range at the time, Biyadhoo was the most basic and smallest. I swam one way around the island in an hour and then back in the opposite direction. I’d do this several times a day and never saw the same thing twice…

Any more than a week and you’d have to be a real sea lover or heavily into diving. 

I was lucky enough to see the place before the major coral bleaching so had some excellent diving and snorkelling experiences. 

Edited by jgtuk
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

First time was Biyadhoo (my favourite ) second was Mirihi (kids favourite), can’t remember the third but last one was Velidhoo (flew from Sri Lanka). 

All were on the lower/mid price range at the time, Biyadhoo was the most basic and smallest. I swam one way around the island in an hour and then back in the opposite direction. I’d do this several times a day and never saw the same thing twice…

Any more than a week and you’d have to be a real sea lover or heavily into diving. 

I was lucky enough to see the place before the major coral bleaching so had some excellent diving and snorkelling experiences. 

Did you bother with a room or just kip in the sea? 

• Haha 3

Niche question but looking for a Villa/hotel either Majorca/meorca/ibiza or similar for the summer. 

After 5* with a really good kids pool, sons autistic and he loves a pool so this is essential - and I don’t want him annoying everyone in a small main pool!

If anyone can recommend something let me know.

14 hours ago, Parafox said:

You could even visit Rothbury where Gazza had one of his less memorable moments during the Ralph Moat case. lol

Thanks mate I'll bare all of that in mind for our next weekend away. Opted for Bakewell in the Peak District in the end

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

Thanks mate I'll bare all of that in mind for our next weekend away. Opted for Bakewell in the Peak District in the end

Chatsworth for the day is a good shout....

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Parafox said:

We're very keen on a week in Northumberland, never been and it looks stunning. Once I get over the astonishing cost of accommodation, I think we'll book. There's a nice small cottage in Alnmouth, which is probably our first choice and would give great access to all of the places on your map there. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Booked a lovely spring break on Rottnest Island WA in September.  Looking forward to it already!

image.png.401b313681dcc675917340159dab40a0.png

Went last November for a day when I was visiting my sister with my parents. Stunning beaches.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Booked a lovely spring break on Rottnest Island WA in September.  Looking forward to it already!

image.png.401b313681dcc675917340159dab40a0.png

I almost died there lol. My mate took me there to visit on a red hot summers day. We hired bikes and i needed to fill up my water bottle. He said there are loads of water fountains around the island so we could set off and fill up along the way. 

So once we had cycled a few miles we realised we hadnt seen a single fountain it was a case of do we cycle all the way back or do we continue going in the hope a fountain will appear. We stupidly continued.

We get to the other side of the island and not a single fountain in site. At this point i am desperate for water.

We just had to head back and soldier on. 

Honestly i have never been so happy to see water in my life when we got all the way back to the start for the only water fountain. We get back home and my mates wife then told us there are no fountains and she couldnt believe we were stupid enough to leave the start without water lol

One cycle ride ill never forget 

• Haha 2