Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

2 hours ago, NJFox said:

So many hikes and options in the summer. Red Rocks Amphitheater is a must, or catch a baseball game at Coors Field. Colorado Rockies tickets are very cheap compared to other MLB teams...depending on the opponent, 1 ticket can cost as a much as a beer.

Also a +1 for Edgewater Public Market, huge food hall with shops and activities for kids/adults (we love American Axes, the hatchet throwing place in there). Also heard good things about FlyteCo Tower (the control tower of the old downtown Denver Airport) was converted to a center with mini golf, restaurant, bowling, and more for kids and adults.

Thanks - I looked at going to a Bronco's game last time, so might do that. (Not sure I could manage a baseball game)!  

Good shout for the others, I'll check them out much appreciated :thumbup:

2 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Chill and smoke weed obvs. It's not Amsterdam where you get bucketloads of badly dressed ugly British people trying to fit in with a joint. I thought weed was the only reason people went to Colorado once, never mind twice.

Haha - it's an interesting shout. I saw a couple of market stalls advertising it along the highway - but they only took crypto! 

• Haha 1

Hoped to go away abroad for May half term but don't reckon we can afford it.  
Any uk tips ? Ours kids are 5 & 3. 
Not sure why I bothered looking at Centre Parcs. This was £1500 for Monday to Friday.  Up £1k on the week before. 

39 minutes ago, Filbert_Ross said:

Not sure why I bothered looking at Centre Parcs. This was £1500 for Monday to Friday.  Up £1k on the week before. 

At that age, if the cost made the difference between being able to have a holiday or not, I would go in term time. 

If you want to go abroad have you looked at Eurocamp? It's often cheaper to go abroad than holiday in the UK, especially once you factor in the cost of eating, drinking and days out

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Filbert_Ross said:

What @FoxesDeb said! 

We did something similar when the kids were younger - The company was called Les Castels and we stayed at their St Malo site in a log cabin. Really nice and was pretty easy to get to. 

At the time, it was less than half the price of Center Parcs. Likely to get better weather and the journey was a bit of fun. 

Friends of ours often go to the Center Parcs in Belgium as it’s cheaper, and again, pretty easy to get to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

At that age, if the cost made the difference between being able to have a holiday or not, I would go in term time. 

If you want to go abroad have you looked at Eurocamp? It's often cheaper to go abroad than holiday in the UK, especially once you factor in the cost of eating, drinking and days out

just having a quick look at Eurocamp. Interesting.  Thanks for the tip

57 minutes ago, Filbert_Ross said:

just having a quick look at Eurocamp. Interesting.  Thanks for the tip

Also lallandia in Denmark. Cost us £1200 PW for an 8 person cabin in August with all facilities free once there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Filbert_Ross said:

Try De Haan Centre Parcs in Belgium. It's only 30 minutes drive from Dunkerque Port, with beautiful sandy beaches right next door. A lot cheaper than UK Centre Parcs, especially during the May half-term, which I think is a different week in France and Belgium. We've been there, and to the Netherlands and four times to Lac D' Ailette, which is about 2 1/2 hours straight drive from Calais. Staff speak English and there are always lots of English people there. Also been to a UK Centre Parks, but actually prefer the ones abroad because of the generally better weather and that you can get a more spacious place for about half the price.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Filbert_Ross said:

Surely it’s cheaper to go abroad than stay in the uk. Those prices are horrendous. Go and get some proper Eastern European luxury for less than you’d pay for a rain soaked beige campsite in somewhere like Dorset 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Surely it’s cheaper to go abroad than stay in the uk. Those prices are horrendous. Go and get some proper Eastern European luxury for less than you’d pay for a rain soaked beige campsite in somewhere like Dorset 

I once went to see Metallica in Amsterdam as the flight, hotel and ticket worked out cheaper than the UK ticket and a night in the hotel. 

So effing expensive to do things in the UK. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Filbert_Ross said:

Take them near a forest,go camping. Your kids are the right age…

Learn yourself and teach the kids the wild life,birs,insects

plus their might be interesting ruins…Romans,Celts,middle ages

and knights…

Peak district and walks.

.New Forest.or Yorkshire dales ( one can find some decent price accomadation..

Foray into Wales,again nature and history..No need to go near snowdonia ( busy)

Farms

From there a day out somewhere ..on the beach

cycle tour with rented bikes .

There is also Norfolk broads or canal trips for kids

even gypsie wagon & horse,where one follows dedicated paths,

I and my wife were comfortable with horses,but you get short instructions

on preparing the horse and removing harness and bridle..Walking pace

discovering nature and then cooking and sleeping in the coach..

let the kids help you build the fire and extinguish it..

kids learn and creat interest from their Parents

They are young so will follow you into

country escapades…

chalets,mobilehomes..tipis,treehouses..or

a good ol tent..

Cosy B n B..

Go private and off grid and see what you find online.

Both you and the have young kids,don’t holiday for yourself

but through your kids and you will have fun,but also relax..

yes Centre parks are expensive,but everything is laid on..

Go out and lay it on yourself…just different..

see thousands of things for the clever mam & dad

if UK too expensive..nip over to Europe

Belguim,Holland,or France…bargains galore..

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Filbert_Ross said:

Found it…

Thinking of your post,I knew I read something a while ago..

struggled to find it,now I have.

Could be a few alternatives, that are quite cheaper,though

one has to take into account Bank holiday..

but site that might help you budget wise…

https://ukfamilytravel.com/cheaper-alternatives-to-center-parcs/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Filbert_Ross said:

Thanks for all the above replies.  
hadn't considered driving to Europe to be honest.  
will have a proper look into over the weekend.  

There are several Canadian (indian) guys who drove from Ontario to east coast then had their cars shipped to England (in 2023). From England they drove to France, across europe, iran, pakistan and finally to India. Documented on youtube but in hindi or punjabi mainly.  So, it's definitely doable lol

One of them plans to go back to india, and continue his journey from India,  through asia to Australia! He left his rover at his parents house in India haha.

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Like 1

On 11/01/2024 at 11:17, Milo said:

Thanks - I looked at going to a Bronco's game last time, so might do that. (Not sure I could manage a baseball game)!  

Good shout for the others, I'll check them out much appreciated :thumbup:

Haha - it's an interesting shout. I saw a couple of market stalls advertising it along the highway - but they only took crypto! 

If you like nature at all, Denver has  excellent hiking. Red rocks is definitely worth checking out. We also did a few hikes in the Rocky Mountain National Park. You can actually drive along the tops of a bunch of mountains as well and it is just incredible. 

If you're interested in sampling any of the local botanicals there's going to be a dispensary on every street corner 😂

Just bring a little cash and tell one of the store workers that you have absolutely no idea what you're doing and they'll help you with the rest. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Lovely few days in Malta and Gozo this week, weather was sunshine and cloud, up to 17C. Did trips to Mdina, Mosta dome, and Gozo. Stayed in Valletta

IMG_8372.jpeg

IMG_8418.jpeg

IMG_8287.jpeg

IMG_8339.jpeg

IMG_8465.jpeg

Loved Malta when I went to watch England there last year. Valetta and Mdina are great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, South Shire Fox said:

Looking at going Protaras area in Cyprus in June. Anyone been? Nice area? Lively?

Yeah been lots of times, Protaras is probably my favourite holiday destination. Beautiful beaches, weather superb, plenty of nice restaurants. The area is lively but more with families & couples. Any hotels you’re looking in particular?

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Yeah been lots of times, Protaras is probably my favourite holiday destination. Beautiful beaches, weather superb, plenty of nice restaurants. The area is lively but more with families & couples. Any hotels you’re looking in particular?

Thanks for that! No nothing in particular, was looking on Booking.com and the Villas were really reasonably priced so maybe one of them. Do you have any hotels you would recommend? Also are there any waterparks nearby? 

5 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Thanks for that! No nothing in particular, was looking on Booking.com and the Villas were really reasonably priced so maybe one of them. Do you have any hotels you would recommend? Also are there any waterparks nearby? 

There was a water park in Ayia Napa which is about a 15 minute drive from Protaras. The last few times we have been we stayed in either Capo Bay or Sunrise pearl hotel. 

Are you going as a family or a couple?

1 minute ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

There was a water park in Ayia Napa which is about a 15 minute drive from Protaras. The last few times we have been we stayed in either Capo Bay or Sunrise pearl hotel. 

Are you going as a family or a couple?

A couple. So dont want an 18-30s but still want some decent night life with plenty of cocktail bars etc

9 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

A couple. So dont want an 18-30s but still want some decent night life with plenty of cocktail bars etc

King Jason, Capo Bay, Sunrise Pearl all lovely hotels in ideal locations. Don’t go towards pernera end of protaras it’s a nice place but very quiet not many bars and about a 20 minute walk into protaras. 

• Like 1

The wife fancies Dubai for a week at Easter with our two teenagers - I'm not that keen myself.

Apart from it probably being too hot and expensive, would anyone who's been recommend it?

None of us are drinkers but is there stuff to do with two teenage kids?

Dubai doesn't really seem like a family holiday destination to me :dunno: