Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

3 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

King Jason, Capo Bay, Sunrise Pearl all lovely hotels in ideal locations. Don’t go towards pernera end of protaras it’s a nice place but very quiet not many bars and about a 20 minute walk into protaras. 

Thanks, ill have a look. Can you rent quad bikes out around there? Also (the most important question), whats beer prices like? 

Edited by South Shire Fox

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

The wife fancies Dubai for a week at Easter with our two teenagers - I'm not that keen myself.

Apart from it probably being too hot and expensive, would anyone who's been recommend it?

None of us are drinkers but is there stuff to do with two teenage kids?

Dubai doesn't really seem like a family holiday destination to me :dunno:

Been a few times at Easter with teens. 

It is hot and expensive but also safe and clean. 

Plenty of stuff to do;

Desert safari or quad biking

Burj Khalifa and fountains

Amazing waterparks

Plenty of water sports (powered and non-powered) 

There's a great water assault course (think it's called aqua fun) at Jumeirah Beach 

Legoland / Bollywood Park

Everything is fairly spread out and nobody walks anywhere, it's all taxis but theyre fairly cheap. 

Depends on how adventurous the kids are really. 

Alternatively Abu Dhabi is a bit like dubai-lite, not quite so OTT but same weather, safe and clean etc and still with loads to do at Yas Island (waterpark, ferrari world, Warner bros Park etc) and everything is not quite so expensive. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Thanks, ill have a look. Can you rent quad bikes out around there? Also (the most important question), whats beer prices like? 

Most places are €2/3 for a large bottle of keo or Leon 

Yes there’s a few places you can hire quad bikes, beach buggies, scooters and motorbikes out. We hired a quad bike for the day and drove over to Nissi beach. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Any tips on Tirana and Albania as a whole. Flights are cheap and been keen to go ever since we had the European tour a couple of years ago. 

Loved Albania. Tirana is easily doable in a day via the free walking tour. We found a driver for a day trip to the durres (beach resort) and lake orhid in Macedonia. Very cheap 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Wakeyfox said:

Been a few times at Easter with teens. 

It is hot and expensive but also safe and clean. 

Plenty of stuff to do;

Desert safari or quad biking

Burj Khalifa and fountains

Amazing waterparks

Plenty of water sports (powered and non-powered) 

There's a great water assault course (think it's called aqua fun) at Jumeirah Beach 

Legoland / Bollywood Park

Everything is fairly spread out and nobody walks anywhere, it's all taxis but theyre fairly cheap. 

Depends on how adventurous the kids are really. 

Alternatively Abu Dhabi is a bit like dubai-lite, not quite so OTT but same weather, safe and clean etc and still with loads to do at Yas Island (waterpark, ferrari world, Warner bros Park etc) and everything is not quite so expensive. 

Thanks mate, most helpful. The wife and kids are very adventurous so sounds like there's loads to do.

Me on the other hand just wants to sit by the pool in the shade with a book all day :unsure:

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

The wife fancies Dubai for a week at Easter with our two teenagers - I'm not that keen myself.

Apart from it probably being too hot and expensive, would anyone who's been recommend it?

If you’ve been to any nondescript European beach resort and had a good time, dxb will blow your mind. Clean beaches with decent people, safe, great food and drink. Activities wise, everything imaginable and more.

Comparatively it’s not expensive. You have to drop about a grand to go to nothing places like santorini these days 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

Should gingers really go to the desert?

• Haha 2

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Should gingers really go to the desert?

No, they shouldn't really. I made that mistake in Egypt about 20 years ago.

Hopefully Dubai has ginger (now grey) friendly shaded areas :sweating:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Looking at going Protaras area in Cyprus in June. Anyone been? Nice area? Lively?

We are going to Protaras in October, went to Paphos last July absolutely beautiful and a great holiday just too hot hence why we are going in October this year.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

The Crown is great, cheers for the recommendation @Voll Blau @CosbehFox.

Just done one of the taxi tours of the troubled areas. The guide declaring he was out on bail for decking his neighbour wasn’t a shock in the slightest lol 

Meant to mention those tours are well worth doing. Our guide was a bit calmer, mind!

On 15/01/2024 at 17:13, Izzy said:

Definitely, shouldn't be unbearable at Easter, I've been in March and it was hot but not overbearing, October was too hot and I went in Nov last year and it was 30C - perfect. 

Plenty to do, if you aren't a drinker even better. Pick your hotel carefully, if you want the Palm then I can recommend Sofitel he Palm, fantastic hotel - next door to Atlantis which has the biggest waterpark in the world. Taxi's are cheap, so even though you are a 20 min drive away from downtown it's not an issue. Do Brunch at the Westin, that's awesome - there is a 25ft cheese bar. Quad bike safari, beach clubs. Get the hotel right and you might not even move. 

IMG_2363.jpeg

IMG_2364.jpeg

Edited by Tommy G
  • Thanks 1

On 15/01/2024 at 17:13, Izzy said:

Loved Dubai, fortunately I didn't have any teenagers in tow, so I'm not sure what they like but would highly recommend High Tea at the Burj Khalifa, the miracle gardens, and a dhow boat trip. We did a walking tour included in the boat trip, all around the old town and souks. Plus you've got the aquarium and skiing etc.

If you stay a bit further out and get the metro in, the prices are a lot more reasonable.

2 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Definitely, shouldn't be unbearable at Easter, I've been in March and it was hot but not overbearing, October was too hot and I went in Nov last year and it was 30C - perfect. 

Plenty to do, if you aren't a drinker even better. Pick your hotel carefully, if you want the Palm then I can recommend Sofitel he Palm, fantastic hotel - next door to Atlantis which has the biggest waterpark in the world. Taxi's are cheap, so even though you are a 20 min drive away from downtown it's not an issue. Do Brunch at the Westin, that's awesome - there is a 25ft cheese bar. Quad bike safari, beach clubs. Get the hotel right and you might not even move. 

IMG_2363.jpeg

IMG_2364.jpeg

It's hot, but I don't recall it being overbearing on any of our visits either.

How did I not know about the 25ft cheese bar? I'm adding that to our next trip! Although, we're booked for April 2025, Dubai to Paris, to redo our cancelled trips to Jordan and Egypt from last Novembers cruise. Which, I'm now thinking, may have been optimistic...the world won't accept the Suez Canal out of operation for another 18 months, surely, hopefully.

Edit - disappointingly, the brunch is only on Saturday. We sail on the Saturday. But I have just picked up a good deal on a hotel overlooking the creek.

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Off to Barbados next month, any advice appreciated 

Personally, my advice would be to cancel the trip and rebook to go to Tommy G's 25ft cheese bar.

I mean fvck - it's a 25ft cheese bar. How have I never heard of this?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Personally, my advice would be to cancel the trip and rebook to go to Tommy G's 25ft cheese bar.

I mean fvck - it's a 25ft cheese bar. How have I never heard of this?

Cheese as in man cheese.  I reckon i could knock a 25ft worth of it, but wanting to see Tommy G's.........

3 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Was there a lot to do in Pathos? Nice beaches?

Couple of really nice beaches lots of boat trips, buggy hire etc we stayed about a 15 minute bus journey from paphos harbour and the main town so it was quiet where we stayed but there were groups at our hotel that rolled in at 4am so there’s a half decent nightlife but I’m just too old for it lol

Few trips booked recently or in the offing.

Wells-Next-the-Sea at the end of the month for a weekend, not been for well over a decade.

Mallorca on my mate's boat in Alcudia in April

Kotor in Montenegro for early May

Cala Galdana in Menorca in June

Going to have to take my laptop with me for a few of these though as the Christmas period swallows up my AL this coming FY

• Like 2