Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

8 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Few trips booked recently or in the offing.

Wells-Next-the-Sea at the end of the month for a weekend, not been for well over a decade.

Mallorca on my mate's boat in Alcudia in April

Kotor in Montenegro for early May

Cala Galdana in Menorca in June

Going to have to take my laptop with me for a few of these though as the Christmas period swallows up my AL this coming FY

Goto the Foxes Arms in Alcudia.

Mate of mine owns it- Leicester CITY FC based bar with food.

tell the Owner Jamie Preston hes a fat bastard and you'll get a free pint!:D

Edited by Raj
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

Wells-Next-the-Sea at the end of the month for a weekend, not been for well over a decade.

Going to have to take my laptop with me for a few of these though as the Christmas period swallows up my AL this coming FY

Great walk from Wells to Holkam through the pinewoods

• Like 1

Are the logistics of travelling around a country with a baby too much? Not talking anywhere mental, I'm thinking somewhere in Europe where we can rent a car/ jump on a train between destinations. Am I being naive that it's possible? I know it depends on the baby/ our attitudes etc, but would people say the basic stuff makes it a nightmare? We're not the types to stay around a pool for a week in the same hotel, which I guess is logistically the easiest when taking a baby abroad. Any advice/ experiences would be great! 

1 hour ago, walkerleeds said:

Are the logistics of travelling around a country with a baby too much? Not talking anywhere mental, I'm thinking somewhere in Europe where we can rent a car/ jump on a train between destinations. Am I being naive that it's possible? I know it depends on the baby/ our attitudes etc, but would people say the basic stuff makes it a nightmare? We're not the types to stay around a pool for a week in the same hotel, which I guess is logistically the easiest when taking a baby abroad. Any advice/ experiences would be great! 

We was a bit like this last year and ended up going abroad four times in Europe with our now 19 month old. We had a family holiday booked and was worried about the flight, so we booked Brusslels as it's only an hour...he slept straight through both ways 😀

Certain things got easier as he got a little older (no formula and less to pack for example) but he was a little harder to entertain mid flight as he wanted to be off walking. We tried to get early flights to help with sleeping more on the plane which did work! Public transport, trains and driving was easier as he had things to see.

We got apartments so we could put him to bed and still have space to relax ourselves. Also tried to keep to the same meal times as at home to help plan. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, slymunn said:

We was a bit like this last year and ended up going abroad four times in Europe with our now 19 month old. We had a family holiday booked and was worried about the flight, so we booked Brusslels as it's only an hour...he slept straight through both ways 😀

Certain things got easier as he got a little older (no formula and less to pack for example) but he was a little harder to entertain mid flight as he wanted to be off walking. We tried to get early flights to help with sleeping more on the plane which did work! Public transport, trains and driving was easier as he had things to see.

We got apartments so we could put him to bed and still have space to relax ourselves. Also tried to keep to the same meal times as at home to help plan. 

Four times! That's a decent effort. Really good to hear that it's actually possible though, cheers. 

I guess trying to keep as much of a routine as you can would naturally help. I wonder if doing it so often has made it easier for yours? Becomes a bit more "normal" then. 

18 hours ago, walkerleeds said:

We travelled from the Colombia border, through Ecuador to the Chile border with a 6 month old on buses, train roof and a taxi. Six week journey all in all. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

Four times! That's a decent effort. Really good to hear that it's actually possible though, cheers. 

I guess trying to keep as much of a routine as you can would naturally help. I wonder if doing it so often has made it easier for yours? Becomes a bit more "normal" then. 

Yeah I think that's the main thing is keeping as much of a routine as you can. Because it wasn't as bad as we thought, is why we ended up continuing to get away. 

Just things like ready made milk if needed, to avoid trying to find a kettle makes a big difference. Or a little pack up if they are eating meals/snacks.

On 18/01/2024 at 13:20, Costock_Fox said:

The Crown is great, cheers for the recommendation @Voll Blau @CosbehFox.

Just done one of the taxi tours of the troubled areas. The guide declaring he was out on bail for decking his neighbour wasn’t a shock in the slightest lol 

Convinced Brian has done me with chemical weapons on this. Came back with the flu and I’ve never been more ill.

15 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Looking to go to Italy for a city break this year. Prob 3 nights anyone have any recommendations? Cheers 

Would say it’s probably a bit overlooked but we had a really nice time in Turin when we went. You can’t go wrong with Milan though and there’s probably a bit more to do. 

Obviously Rome. I’ve never been there personally. Venice is very cool but very touristy. I’ve heard good things about Verona too. 

Edited by Manini

2 minutes ago, Manini said:

Would say it’s probably a bit overlooked but we had a really nice time in Turin when we went. You can’t go wrong with Milan though and there’s probably a bit more to do. 

Obviously Rome. I’ve never been there personally. Venice is very cool but very touristy. I’ve heard good things about Verona too. 

Cheers mate was thinking about Rome 

53 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Looking to go to Italy for a city break this year. Prob 3 nights anyone have any recommendations? Cheers 

The flights to Milan malpansa are cheap and is ideal for the lakes.

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Cheers mate was thinking about Rome 

Rome is great but flights are expensive.

Milan is very accessible (cheap flights) but not as nice as other Italian cities. Combine it with Bergamo/Verona/Bologna- all very nice and well connected by train. 

3 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Italy is my favourite country..... Florence, Rome, Naples, Verona or Lake Como are all stunning for a short break.  I did a two week holiday in Italy and basically did all of those places.   Naples is hugely underrated, it's a really interesting city.  But if you've never been to Rome. Start with Rome. 

If you need any advice, just drop me a note. 

• Like 3

On 25/01/2024 at 20:52, Chris_OGrady said:

Rome is great but flights are expensive.

Milan is very accessible (cheap flights) but not as nice as other Italian cities. Combine it with Bergamo/Verona/Bologna- all very nice and well connected by train. 

I saw Bologna on 12 dishes in 12 hours and it looked class. 

• Like 1

On 25/01/2024 at 18:37, Unabomber said:

Verona is a beautiful city and a nice base - close to Venice, Padua, Ravenna, Trento, Bolzano, Bologna. Bologna itself is also lovely and again close to some lovely places, including the Apennines.

But further south you have Perugia, which has one of the prettiest centres in Italy, and close to the wonderful Umbria countryside.

In Puglia there's Bari with a great old town and a stone's throw away from incredible beaches and historic sites.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2024 at 14:25, Stadt said:

Love Wells…. Are you a runner?  Go up the harbour wall…. Country route over the next car park (Brancastle?) and then run back through the forest…. One of the most stunning runs I’ve ever done  (just over 10km)

Then treat yourself to a slap up brunch at bang in wells

I’m off to Galicia this summer I think…. Ryanair in to Deportivo or Santiago

will find a villa around the coast from Pontevedra in a nice town / village close to some of the stunning beaches….

May rent a place in Santiago for a couple of nights too

No English !!!

19 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Love Wells…. Are you a runner?  Go up the harbour wall…. Country route over the next car park (Brancastle?) and then run back through the forest…. One of the most stunning runs I’ve ever done  (just over 10km)

Then treat yourself to a slap up brunch at bang in wells

Occasionally, more likely to walk it

8 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Occasionally, more likely to walk it

That’d be lovely too of course…. I love taking my dogs out on to that huge beach and watch them bound around…. It makes my heart happy!

K4Y4Yj2.jpeg

On 25/01/2024 at 21:55, Greg2607 said:

Italy is my favourite country..... Florence, Rome, Naples, Verona or Lake Como are all stunning for a short break.  I did a two week holiday in Italy and basically did all of those places.   Naples is hugely underrated, it's a really interesting city.  But if you've never been to Rome. Start with Rome. 

If you need any advice, just drop me a note. 

Just booked flights to Rome so any tips would be greatly appreciated.