Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

3 hours ago, STEVIE B said:

Currently in Naples, Italy.

A mad city, a bit edgy, but l love it.

A rabbit warren of old cobbled lanes. The car & scooter driver's are bonkers, but it somehow works. Football memorabilia, especially Maradona is everywhere. It's so cheap here too. The whole place gives you a slap in the face, but in a nice way. 

Loved it when we went in March. Crazy, full of life and passion. The scooters are something else 🤣.

Looking for recommendations for a beach holiday second week in September please.

Looking at Norfolk/Suffolk or Bournemouth/Poole areas ideally and avoiding Lincolnshire.

Got two boys 3 & 1 so places to go visit would be great.

Wife has found a Haven site at Rockley Park on Airbnb but it's very expensive so looking for an alternative 👍

12 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Looking for recommendations for a beach holiday second week in September please.

Looking at Norfolk/Suffolk or Bournemouth/Poole areas ideally and avoiding Lincolnshire.

Wife has found a Haven site at Rockley Park on Airbnb but it's very expensive so looking for an alternative 👍

Weymouth always a decent trip and scenic.

On 16/05/2024 at 19:20, Big Dave said:

IMG_5403.jpeg

Bloody love Skeg 😂

Currently out here now, South View caravan park in a nice little lodge, hot tub on the Veranda, nice and peaceful just a mile or so from Skeggy town and Leicester everywhere in the clubhouse….love it 😂

5 hours ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

We used to spend a lot of holiday time around Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch with our touring caravan. 

https://www.hoburne.com/holiday-parks/dorset/hoburne-park/ is nice, and everything is within easy reach, it's a beautiful part of the country. We'd go crabbing at Mudeford, walking on Hengitsbury Head, down to the park in Christchurch next to the waterfront there is a paddling pool for children, the Littldown centre in Bournemouth has a nice indoor swimming pool and a ride on train behind it, the list of things to do down there is endless.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

A British beach is probably the last place I’ll be visiting until someone has sorted out the water company pollution. 

Kent was warned to avoid beaches this week - “Don’t go in the water” warnings!

The state of this place these days is depressing. 

Edited by Daggers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/05/2024 at 13:04, Silebyfox_89 said:

On 21/05/2024 at 18:11, FoxesDeb said:

We used to spend a lot of holiday time around Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch with our touring caravan. 

https://www.hoburne.com/holiday-parks/dorset/hoburne-park/ is nice, and everything is within easy reach, it's a beautiful part of the country. We'd go crabbing at Mudeford, walking on Hengitsbury Head, down to the park in Christchurch next to the waterfront there is a paddling pool for children, the Littldown centre in Bournemouth has a nice indoor swimming pool and a ride on train behind it, the list of things to do down there is endless.

I've been to Rockley Park & the Hoburne Park sites, although not for a few years. Rockley Park is not a patch on  Hoburne Park, give it a miss, it's too big / busy and the area near Poole is not as nice as the area around Hoburne Park. Like foxesDeb said from Hoburne you can visit Christchurch, Hengitsbury Head & walk or take the land train down to Mudeford from where you can take a little ferry to Christchurch. I think Bournemouth itself as gone a little down hill, but you can't fault the beach that runs from there to Hengitsbury Head , but it's much less crowded if you go to the area around Boscome or Southbourne.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 22/05/2024 at 08:56, Daggers said:

A British beach is probably the last place I’ll be visiting until someone has sorted out the water company pollution. 

Kent was warned to avoid beaches this week - “Don’t go in the water” warnings!

The state of this place these days is depressing. 

Yep, beautiful country and coast ruined by greedy *****. 

Edited by Lako42
  • Like 1

On 21/05/2024 at 13:04, Silebyfox_89 said:

image.thumb.png.78d2485b285bd998a92a2925f1deca11.png

Anywhere along there is beautiful!

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, STEVIE B said:

Just on the train from Rome to Florence. Any advice, nice restaurants, bars (getting bored of Peroni), must see attractions ? 

Spent quite a bit of time in Florence and used to go to Trattoria da Benvenuto. Loved it at the time (late 2000s), no idea if it's still good. 

I also liked I Tarocchi on the south side of the Arno. A bit less touristy and very good pizza. 

Museo San Marco is my favourite place in Florence for art. Beautiful paintings by Fra Angelico in the original monastery cells. 

Edited by bovril
  • Thanks 1

Just booked a week in Salento. Staying in a village just north of Gallipoli. First actual proper trip to Italy tbf. Looking forward to it. 

Close to Nardo which looks nice as does Lecce. 

• Like 1

Right, next port of call on the Italian adventure is a 3 night stay in Verona.

Probably going to see Verona v Inter later, may also hire a Vespa for a day. 

Anyone been there ? Any tips, trips or recommendations are very welcome. 

49 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

Think about heading north for the day. Very pretty. Riva, Trento and Bolzano are lovely. If you get up really early you can get a train to Bolzano then a bus up to one of the valleys like Val di Tires which is so picture perfect.

I don't know Verona as well but I usually go to Bella Napoli which is a good little atmospheric pizzeria run by guys from the south.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Just booked a week in Salento. Staying in a village just north of Gallipoli. First actual proper trip to Italy tbf. Looking forward to it. 

Close to Nardo which looks nice as does Lecce. 

Train and Barletta have really good Norman churches and castles. Lots of historic sights round there. I'm the kind of person that likes to match my summer reads thematically with my holiday location, so I'd recommend John Julius Norwich's books on the Italian Norman kingdom, without a doubt the best English language books on the subject.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, STEVIE B said:

Castel San Pietro for sunset. Cappa Cafe for a pint (good outside area). Bell tower is worth going up too. It’s a beautiful city! 

• Thanks 1

On 26/05/2024 at 11:06, STEVIE B said:

Has train travel/ticket buying become easier than it used to be, or do you still have to get the supplement?

Germany for the Euros in just under 3 weeks. Accomodation all over is pricey so we are using Essen as a base, anyone been? Not expecting anything spectacular.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Has train travel/ticket buying become easier than it used to be, or do you still have to get the supplement?

We booked them online months ago, seemed fairly straightforward. Had no issues at all so far. Use the Trenitalia app. The train system is pretty good & the trains are very nice. Had a delay leaving Florence yesterday into Verona, other than that all ok. 

Edited by STEVIE B
  • Thanks 1

Just back from Shetland.

We were lucky, had really nice weather, but it's so beautiful. I was worried that the remoteness might make it expensive and the roads terrible, but no, very average prices for everything. In fact I found it quite cheap to buy unique handmade, local gifts rather than the massive produced stuff you'll find on much of the Scottish mainland.

As I mentioned too, the roads were amazing. Even in the remotest of areas, smooth, well maintained and marked.

The food... all of it... superb! It's nearly all local produce (what else is there? Norway is as close as Scotland.) I highly recommend a visit to Busta House for a drink in the garden by the sea, Frankie's Fish n Chips, the most northerly chip shop in the UK (and therefore, world?) and Pete's Cafe in Lerwick.

At Pete's Cafe had a sassermaet, cheese and onion cob. Sassermaet is a UN recognised and protected food made in Shetland and it was like eating the best cheeseburger ever.

Oh, nearly forgot the Cake Fridge.

Literally a large fridge at the side of the road in a small hamlet, full of homemade cakes, with an honesty box!

The Cake Fridge - Shetland
01595 810911

https://g.co/kgs/1jtrWs3

The beaches (especially St Ninian's Island's tombolo beach) and cliffsides and ocean views were all gorgeous.

We were only there 3 days as we were touring  Scotland and we want to go back soon for a week or two self catering.

If you like wild and woolly, a bit of nature and getting away from it all and not too bothered about nice weather, I highly recommend!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Just back from Shetland.

We were lucky, had really nice weather, but it's so beautiful. I was worried that the remoteness might make it expensive and the roads terrible, but no, very average prices for everything. In fact I found it quite cheap to buy unique handmade, local gifts rather than the massive produced stuff you'll find on much of the Scottish mainland.

As I mentioned too, the roads were amazing. Even in the remotest of areas, smooth, well maintained and marked.

The food... all of it... superb! It's nearly all local produce (what else is there? Norway is as close as Scotland.) I highly recommend a visit to Busta House for a drink in the garden by the sea, Frankie's Fish n Chips, the most northerly chip shop in the UK (and therefore, world?) and Pete's Cafe in Lerwick.

At Pete's Cafe had a sassermaet, cheese and onion cob. Sassermaet is a UN recognised and protected food made in Shetland and it was like eating the best cheeseburger ever.

Oh, nearly forgot the Cake Fridge.

Literally a large fridge at the side of the road in a small hamlet, full of homemade cakes, with an honesty box!

The Cake Fridge - Shetland
01595 810911

https://g.co/kgs/1jtrWs3

The beaches (especially St Ninian's Island's tombolo beach) and cliffsides and ocean views were all gorgeous.

We were only there 3 days as we were touring  Scotland and we want to go back soon for a week or two self catering.

If you like wild and woolly, a bit of nature and getting away from it all and not too bothered about nice weather, I highly recommend!

Sounds like you had an amazing time. I love that part of the world. 

• Like 1