Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

15 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

I might protest with them, trying to sort a Spanish holiday that isn’t like Britain in the sun these days is painful. If I go to Spain I want to get away from you lot, drink my Cerveza and eat my Paella without having to listen to a Scouse or Geordie accent for several days :ph34r:

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Just booked Montenegro with a mate for 7 nights in October. Been on my list for a while 🙌

It doesn't disappoint. Went there for a week two years ago. Budva and Kotor. Amazing place. Albania is next on my list.

13 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Turkey looking more possibility now, marmaris seems to be recommended resort. Anyone been, any good?

Marmaris bay hotel (Adult Only) is absolutely stunning, secluded, private beaches, a mini bus on site to nip you into the Bay Area ( when the bus stops late at night one of the staff members will take you in and pick you up even at 4am lol)

We had transfers included with Tui and couldn't believe they sent a private decked out Mini van for us with Champagne waiting for us in the van as the main coaches that picked other passengers up were too big to fit down the tiny roads where the hotel is located...great way to start the holiday

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Rome very soon, can’t wait 

Honestly Jealous anytime anybody heads to Rome.

Absolutely stunning no matter which little street you head down, try to head away from the main tourist square towards the Vatican over the River (towards Trastevere) it’s only a 15 minute walk or so and you can really get amongst the locals and really eat/drink like they do….my favourite European city by a mile….

• Like 4

1 minute ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Honestly Jealous anytime anybody heads to Rome.

Absolutely stunning no matter which little street you head down, try to head away from the main tourist square towards the Vatican over the River (towards Trastevere) it’s only a 15 minute walk or so and you can really get amongst the locals and really eat/drink like they do….my favourite European city by a mile….

Nice one thanks. Any more tips away from the tourist stuff would be appreciated

On 30/05/2024 at 05:33, LcFc_Smiv said:

I might protest with them, trying to sort a Spanish holiday that isn’t like Britain in the sun these days is painful. If I go to Spain I want to get away from you lot, drink my Cerveza and eat my Paella without having to listen to a Scouse or Geordie accent for several days :ph34r:

You say that but I've tried that and the brits are replaced by obnoxious loud middle class Americans which usually drives the price of everything in the area up. It would be interesting to know what continental Europe think of Americans vs Brits, maybe they are more tolerant of yanks as they tip more.

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

You say that but I've tried that and the brits are replaced by obnoxious loud middle class Americans which usually drives the price of everything in the area up. It would be interesting to know what continental Europe think of Americans vs Brits, maybe they are more tolerant of yanks as they tip more.

In my experience Americans are more consistently annoying, but the worst Brit tourists go beyond anything other countries can offer. It also depends where you go; Italians in my experience are massive Anglophiles which is probably helped by the fact the stag parties don't go there. The Spanish hate us for obvious reasons (the reformation). 

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Americans are all loud and annoying but generally good natured and neighbourly. These European resorts have the wrong impression of brits because we export the worst of our population behaving the worst that they can on these package holidays. Much like England football fans away, not representative of our country 

My experience of Brits abroad is that if you go beyond the stereotype and a bit away from the tourist norm, people really like us. Think it’s a cultural thing. Sharing the first name with a bastard wizard for example has often been a ice breaker 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

My experience of Brits abroad is that if you go beyond the stereotype and a bit away from the tourist norm, people really like us. Think it’s a cultural thing. Sharing the first name with a bastard wizard for example has often been a ice breaker 

Never knew your real name was Albus! 

• Haha 1

First world problems here, but mid to long haul, any views on the best option?....

1. Premium Economy 

2. Economy with extra keg room 

3. Standard economy with empty seat alongside

I'm starting to lean to option 3, as the immovable arm rests annoy me on options 1 and 2.

Food is basically the same on all three. And there are smaller 8 row cabins in economy if you choose carefully and look at the seat configuration in advance 

Option 1 premium, the prices are starting to reach a level that just isn't worth it. 

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

First world problems here, but mid to long haul, any views on the best option?....

1. Premium Economy 

2. Economy with extra keg room 

3. Standard economy with empty seat alongside

I'm starting to lean to option 3, as the immovable arm rests annoy me on options 1 and 2.

Food is basically the same on all three. And there are smaller 8 row cabins in economy if you choose carefully and look at the seat configuration in advance 

Option 1 premium, the prices are starting to reach a level that just isn't worth it. 

For me, it all depends on the seating configuration. Doing Option 1 for NYC-London this week, but I’d be OK with 2 and 3, with the right aircraft. We’re on a plane with 2-3-2 in economy, which makes your #2 and #3 options more advantageous if you get a seat on the side of the plane.

3 has only ever happened by sheer luck, or by purchasing the middle seat outright. But it’s always a nice surprise when it happens.

• Like 1

Yeah, in check v late to see what seats are free late on. I've started to book the 'other seat' (when one in a three) is booked, and hope the middle one gets left as unwanted if flight isn't full. It worked once and didn't work the other time (and I wasn't happy!) 

Basically, I think I'd you could guarantee option 3, it's the best option IF there is a split in economy with a smaller cabin. 

I'd always choose the legroom in front as I'm 6'4" so options 1 or 2.

Much more inclined for premium economy on a true long hauler if it's not too much more than economy (say up to £250) as also gives a small chance of an upgrade to business or allows an air miles upgrade if you have them.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, martyn said:

I'd always choose the legroom in front as I'm 6'4" so options 1 or 2.

Much more inclined for premium economy on a true long hauler if it's not too much more than economy (say up to £250) as also gives a small chance of an upgrade to business or allows an air miles upgrade if you have them.

I think that's the thing. Up to 250 seems Ok, ....up to 450 and it's like, hmmm, I dunno 

38 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I think that's the thing. Up to 250 seems Ok, ....up to 450 and it's like, hmmm, I dunno 

Yes the value is entirely subjective. As im tall I highly value flying in premium cabins so have collected air miles religiously and will always look to get decent cash PE fares if not using miles.

7 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Anglophilia is still much more widespread in Europe than we think. You still see lots of English music or football themed bars and our media and literature is still widely consumed. They generally think we're idiots for Brexit but we have a cool factor that no other country does.