Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Just now, kenny said:

I'll update on Wednesday. My flight is at 8am which appears to be the worst time.

Have you bought your fast track yet? If not, get on it, its only £5 but its very limited in numbers.

Might be worth it tbh, even if it only saves 15/20 minutes it will save some stress.

Yeah let me know, my flight's also at 8am - was planning on rocking up at 5.30/6am but I'm thinking if it's still like this we'll be aiming to get in the queue for 5am as one guy said it took about 1hr 40 to get through.

Flew out of Birmingham Monday 6:45 am flight. We had fast tracks and it saves you a good 45 mins at that time of the morning.The queues at that time we just starting to go outside. If you can get a fast track I would get one. 

Ther.e is no way the work will be finished for a while. The summer hols will be a disaster if it's like it is now 

Edited by goose2010
  • Like 1

Airports have got worse since they stopped having separate check in desks for each flights, rather than a free for all. Not sure if that still happens with some airlines but in my recent experience, particularly at Manchester you have all Tui customers for example in the same queue, regardless of flight time. 

There has got to be a more organised way of doing things, surely. As always though, a lot of the time its down to people making things busier. Now people are worried about queues they will get there earlier, thus making it worse. Not exactly thought this through but maybe each check in desk has security directly behind it, then you go through straight after dropping bags, might take longer initially but at least you are only queuing once. Then obviously a separate one for anyone not checking in bags. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Might be worth it tbh, even if it only saves 15/20 minutes it will save some stress.

Yeah let me know, my flight's also at 8am - was planning on rocking up at 5.30/6am but I'm thinking if it's still like this we'll be aiming to get in the queue for 5am as one guy said it took about 1hr 40 to get through.

It's currently saving an hour and 20 mins...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Airports have got worse since they stopped having separate check in desks for each flights, rather than a free for all. Not sure if that still happens with some airlines but in my recent experience, particularly at Manchester you have all Tui customers for example in the same queue, regardless of flight time. 

There has got to be a more organised way of doing things, surely. As always though, a lot of the time its down to people making things busier. Now people are worried about queues they will get there earlier, thus making it worse. Not exactly thought this through but maybe each check in desk has security directly behind it, then you go through straight after dropping bags, might take longer initially but at least you are only queuing once. Then obviously a separate one for anyone not checking in bags. 

Had this issue at Luton last week, huge avoidable bottleneck - I normally travel lightly so checking a case in was 10x more stressful than I remember.

3 hours ago, Trev3939 said:

those who went to Napoli (or have just been), would you recommend as a holiday destination 

Definitely. It's very different to most Italian cities.

It's a bit edgy, l felt very safe walking about, even at night though. I know it has a reputation.

It's a football mad city, l wore a city shirt for a day, no hassle at all, just a few quizzical looks.

You're only a short train trip from Pompeii & Herculaneum. 

Food & drink are very cheap, people are friendly.

Personally l would return, loved the madness of it all. It's a slap in the face from when you arrive (in a nice way).

Edited by STEVIE B

1 hour ago, Trev3939 said:

those who went to Napoli (or have just been), would you recommend as a holiday destination 

43 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

Definitely. It's very different to most Italian cities.

It's a bit edgy, l felt very safe walking about, even at night though. I know it has a reputation.

It's a football mad city, l wore a city shirt for a day, no hassle at all, just a few quizzical looks.

Your only a short train trip from Pompeii & Herculaneum. 

Food & drink are very cheap, people are friendly.

Personally l would return, loved the madness of it all. It's a slap in the face from when you arrive (in a nice way).

Can only echo that, it’s a crazy, friendly, passionate place. One of the dirtiest cities I’ve ever visited 🤣 but the above far outweighs that. Ferry ride away from the Amalfi coast, Capri and Ischia which give a nice contrast with Naples itself. Napoli and maradona everywhere you look. Would definitely recommend 

• Like 2

Very excited by some holidays I've managed to book. Pembrokeshire in July, Lisbon in August, 2 weeks in Tuscany and Rome in October then Japan in April. Next step, work out how to fund it all!

22 hours ago, Trev3939 said:

Im now looking at Seville as well so was wondering if anyone who went there has any recommendations?

On 12/06/2024 at 07:30, slymunn said:

Has anyone gone to Mexico, Playa Del Carmen with a toddler/young child?

Being invited to a wedding next year and I guessing it will be fine.. looks like there are things at the hotels but is there more around the area to do? 

Yes Playa del Carmen is fine. Depending on the time of year you go they may have an issue with seaweed which now plagues that coast, but they have teams removing it non stop.

Around the area you have Tulum, Akumal, Xcaret, even Chichen Itza isn't that far, albeit not sure you'd want to go with youngster in tow.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, martyn said:

Yes Playa del Carmen is fine. Depending on the time of year you go they may have an issue with seaweed which now plagues that coast, but they have teams removing it non stop.

Around the area you have Tulum, Akumal, Xcaret, even Chichen Itza isn't that far, albeit not sure you'd want to go with youngster in tow.

I thought similar when I had a little look online. Didn't want it to feel like it was two weeks of the same hotel complex if that makes sense :) 

39 minutes ago, martyn said:

Is it possible to find proper Mexican grub or is the whole place touristy tex-mex guff?

46 minutes ago, martyn said:

Heathrow T5 was fine this morning. Through security in 10 mins

42 minutes ago, martyn said:

Heathrow T5 was fine this morning. Through security in 10 mins

So fine you had time to go through twice.

• Haha 2

Athens is fun and brilliantly sunny, 38 degrees. Can feel my body dethawing. Annoyingly being here for work, having to spend most of the day in overly air conditioned rooms with an extra layer is terrible. AC really is for weak people. I had no idea Greeks (well, the ones I’m with) also dislike the poxy islands like santorini. They go to islands I’ve never heard of on hol. Another place tourists have ruined

2 hours ago, Trev3939 said:

Im now looking at Seville as well so was wondering if anyone who went there has any recommendations?

No recommendations as such, but l went there when we played.

Beautiful city, climate is fantastic too (it was 20° in Feb, from memory).

Great just to wonder about, sampling tapas, sangria etc. 

Huge Cathedral in the centre, which is very pretty.

It was also surprisingly cheap to eat out & have a beer. I plan to go back, although I've been told Valencia is worth a visit too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Is it possible to find proper Mexican grub or is the whole place touristy tex-mex guff?

I don't know Playa del Carmen that well tbh, have only been a couple of times on trips whilst already in Mexico and not since 2019, but there will absolutely be good authentic Mexican food available, but likely to be off the main drag.

It's not going to be Mexico City / Oaxaca levels of choice and quality for the most part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Athens is fun and brilliantly sunny, 38 degrees. Can feel my body dethawing. Annoyingly being here for work, having to spend most of the day in overly air conditioned rooms with an extra layer is terrible. AC really is for weak people. I had no idea Greeks (well, the ones I’m with) also dislike the poxy islands like santorini. They go to islands I’ve never heard of on hol. Another place tourists have ruined

Athens is great. I stayed in Omonia which is right naughty and grubby. 

We then had two nights on one of the islands you describe. Think we were the only non Greeks we saw on Aegina and it was lovely. 

55 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Athens is great. I stayed in Omonia which is right naughty and grubby. 

We then had two nights on one of the islands you describe. Think we were the only non Greeks we saw on Aegina and it was lovely. 

Nice!! Having been to Mykonos, santorini and Crete, I was kicking myself for wasting money on these sanitised, bland, fun for all the family, free airport shuttle bus hell holes. Would defo be up for going to an actual Greek island. Will investigate your suggestion 

4 hours ago, Trev3939 said:

Fantastic city. Was there last autumn and met Ayoze Perez in a pizza restaurant!

If you like wine I really recommend a place called Lama La Uva, near the Metropol Parasol. They do lovely tapas and if you tell them what kinds of wine you like they'll bring you various glasses to try out. A great spot for people watching.

• Like 1