Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 03/07/2024 at 10:13, TiffToff88 said:

Has anyone here been to Cyprus late in the year? Looking for some cheap sunshine inNovember for my wife's birthday and that was one of the places that popped up in our budget on the holiday comparison sites. We like our ancient Roman and greek history and we know there are some interesting sites in Cyprus to the destination itself appeals to us, we're just wondering what the weather would be like that time of year

Decided to sack this idea off and save the money to go somewhere a bit nicer for a bit longer next year instead. 10 nights in Tobago in May 😁

We've been before a bit later in the year but this time we'll be there at the right time to hopefully see some Leatherback Turtles laying their eggs on the beach next to the hotel

Had a great time in Germany and managed to see loads of different cities.

Dusseldorf- Nice enough, good bars in the old town and along the river. Worth a visit but maybe not specifically to just stay there as not loads to do tourism wise.

Cologne- Amazing city, great bars around the old town, incredible cathedral and the river has cracking views.

Dortmund- Standard functional city, obviously worth going to experience the stadium and the football museum.

Munich- Brilliant city, plenty to see and do. Hofbrauhaus is a cracking place and it’s made me want to go back for Oktoberfest.

Berlin. Another belting city with loads to do. Sitting quietly at Brandonburg Gate having a beer while watching a fire juggler and then walking around the corner to watch a video beamed onto a huge building across the river with all sorts of other activities happening in the city will take some beating.

Travelling around- Don’t believe what you hear about German Efficiency when it comes to trains. 95% of trains I caught were delayed, some disappeared off the board with no announcement, cramped with no aircon etc etc were a nightmare. That said, the ICE trains across the country for about £25 for any distance while the tournament was on was incredible value and once you are on it’s a really comfortable journey.

The people are great over there and I’ll definitely go back for festivals, football matches and hopefully Oktoberfest.

• Like 4

Btw on that topic what bright spark in Germany said do a load of engineering works in 2024. The line for example from Frankfurt Airport to South Germany is closed until December. 

Makes our organisation look good

1 hour ago, waddadamadda said:

Currently in Italy for 10 nights having driven from good old Leicestershire.

Stopped off in Luxembourg and was totally taken aback as to how stunningly beautiful it is. Definitely one to go back and explore. Also stopped off in Switzerland, Lausanne, for lunch and a break. Again, stunning. Exciting to see Lake Geneva being prepped for the Olympics.  Stayed over in Northern Italy for a night and I have to say that I feel a little bit underwhelmed by the country so far. I’m hoping once I’ve acclimatised to the 40 degree+ heat I’ll start to love it more.

1256 miles covered in 3 days and was so thankful to have our T5 VW as we stored loads of food and drink in there.  Avoided the ££££ of the French toll roads, paid €70 combined to enter and leave Switzerland and €54 on the Italian tolls. Fuel in Luxembourg was £1.28 per litre of diesel so topped up the tank there. 

Will take the tolls back to France when we leave. Have a few nights camping at the foot of Mont Blanc before heading back home.

Where in north Italy are you?

2 minutes ago, waddadamadda said:

We stayed in Graglia but now further down near Rome in a village called Roccantica 

Jealous. I really love Umbria and Abruzzo which are both close. Abruzzo might be my favourite region in Italy. 

Just been to Spain - Altea 

Easy trip fromEast Mids to Alicante 

Great town to stay in as it’s all original building and stunning restaurants and bars although probably good for the slightly mid to old generation. 
the trains all down that coast mean you can go to Benidorm one day and a lovely picturesque town the next for a couple of euros. 

2 hours ago, Molson Canadian said:

Taking the wife and kids to Disneyland in August.  A children's holiday for sure. 

Trying to organize a proper holiday with my friends to mexico for a 1 week all inclusive trip later in the year. 

Florida or Paris?

Final night of a magical stay at Sani Resort in Halkidiki. The best resort I’ve been to, food and service stunning as are the facilities. If you want a week of bliss away from the daily grind…look no further. First holiday this year due to work commitments and relished every second. Will be returning! 

• Like 1

I asked around about Norfolk earlier this year but ended up in a place very different.  French Rivera.   Spent some time in Nice, Monaco,Frejus and Port Grimaud (also known as Venice of France) with a Eurocamp in Frejus as the base.   I can throughly recommend each place for their own reasons and French were much friendlier than expected.   Monaco was on another planet!  

On 18/07/2024 at 17:18, waddadamadda said:

Stopped off in Luxembourg and was totally taken aback as to how stunningly beautiful it is. Definitely one to go back and explore. Also stopped off in Switzerland, Lausanne, for lunch and a break. Again, stunning. Exciting to see Lake Geneva being prepped for the Olympics.  Stayed over in Northern Italy for a night and I have to say that I feel a little bit underwhelmed by the country so far. I’m hoping once I’ve acclimatised to the 40 degree+ heat I’ll start to love it more.

1256 miles covered in 3 days and was so thankful to have our T5 VW as we stored loads of food and drink in there.  Avoided the ££££ of the French toll roads, paid €70 combined to enter and leave Switzerland and €54 on the Italian tolls. Fuel in Luxembourg was £1.28 per litre of diesel so topped up the tank there. 

Will take the tolls back to France when we leave. Have a few nights camping at the foot of Mont Blanc before heading back home.

Luxembourg is most definitely worth a stop off and driving through Switzerland is rarely a bind. - much better for the passengers ! 

24 minutes ago, The Blur said:

I asked around about Norfolk earlier this year but ended up in a place very different.  French Rivera.   Spent some time in Nice, Monaco,Frejus and Port Grimaud (also known as Venice of France) with a Eurocamp in Frejus as the base.   I can throughly recommend each place for their own reasons and French were much friendlier than expected.   Monaco was on another planet!  

The French reputation for unfriendliness is undeserved in my experience

Edited by bovril
  • Like 3

On 18/07/2024 at 17:18, waddadamadda said:

We spent part of our honeymoon camping at the foot of Mont Blanc but that was a long time ago.  If you get chance take a trip up the cable car to the Aguille de Midi, ideally early morning.  The view from the top across the Alps is breathtaking - literally because you are at about 11000 feet.

37 minutes ago, bovril said:

North - Surly & ignorant, all they're interested in is your euros

South - More laid back & welcoming.

Andorra was beautifully picturesque. A day in the capital, Andorra La Vella (in 40°c heat, no less), was more than enough; but imagine you could spend a few days exploring. 

Did a day out in Barcelona last week (impromptu, after my 11y.o son ended up in Spanish A&E, having split his eyebrow open). We've been before, but decided to do some of the touristy bits.

Watched the Euros final amongst Spaniards - atmosphere was fantastic, with fireworks and celebrations on the beach.

Last few days in Catalunya now. 

Edited by Górnik Leicester
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, boots60 said:

North - Surly & ignorant, all they're interested in is your euros

South - More laid back & welcoming.

I've generally found them lacking in customer service skills..

But I've found that they generally respond well to customer indifference and generally being a bit offhand .... and subsequently lighten up a bit. 

12 hours ago, bovril said:

We had 6 days in Avignon and Provence last month and would wholeheartedly agree. 

A beautiful region to visit too. 

On 20/07/2024 at 10:59, CUJimmy said:

We spent part of our honeymoon camping at the foot of Mont Blanc but that was a long time ago.  If you get chance take a trip up the cable car to the Aguille de Midi, ideally early morning.  The view from the top across the Alps is breathtaking - literally because you are at about 11000 feet.

I agree about Aiguille du Midi and also the white water rafting trips in the river are brilliant fun.

19 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Sat in Heathrow off to Santorini for the wife's birthday. Any recommendations in Fira welcome.

I did a walk from from Fira to Oia which takes is easy and takes around 3/4 hours if you are into stuff like that. Incredible views all the way.

• Thanks 1