Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Feel free. I might well be in Trieste in March but I doubt your girlfriend will want to sit and discuss Leicester's top-4 push over beers...

I spent a few days going round the gostilnici just north of Trieste in June and thought I'd quite like to relocate there for some time. Lovely, peaceful area. Last week I was in and around Pristina, which is a very energetic and interesting city, but it's amazing to think they were once part of the same country.

You'll be coming to be our tour guide if you're not careful ;) Trieste looks lovely as well, I'm gonna enjoy doing a bit of research on it and i'll let you know what we end up planning with the cars.

I spent a few days going round the gostilnici just north of Trieste in June and thought I'd quite like to relocate there for some time. Lovely, peaceful area. Last week I was in and around Pristina, which is a very energetic and interesting city, but it's amazing to think they were once part of the same country.

Well, you need to know that Slovenia and Croatia were in the same county with Serbia and Kosovo only for 70 odd years (1918.-1991.). Both Slovenia, most of Croatia, as well as Trieste were, for 700 years under Habsburg rule (Austria) or under Venice rule. Serbia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Bosnia were, in more or less the same pperiod, under Ottoman rule (Turkey) for 400, 500 years. 

There is a huge difference in culture, religion, mentality...

Edited by tripe

Fantastic mate, thanks for the info, like I put in the other post, our host is getting some car hire quotes for us so it sounds like it could be a goer. Getting excited for it now, sounds like there's a lot of potential. I'll be back to bother you soon :D

Feel free to ask. It all depends on how much you'd like to travel around. You can spend the better of those five days doing trips around. Much to see, good food, decent wine (especially in Istria and the hills near Gorica in Slovenia). Then again, Ljubljana is great, you should take at least two whole days to see Ljubljana, the castle, bars by the river...

Feel free to ask. It all depends on how much you'd like to travel around. You can spend the better of those five days doing trips around. Much to see, good food, decent wine (especially in Istria and the hills near Gorica in Slovenia). Then again, Ljubljana is great, you should take at least two whole days to see Ljubljana, the castle, bars by the river...

That's pretty much what our host said. He's getting us a quote for a car this week, any idea what the daily rate would be roughly for a pretty basic car? On a bit of a budget but sounds like we'd get a lot more out of it by driving around.

That's pretty much what our host said. He's getting us a quote for a car this week, any idea what the daily rate would be roughly for a pretty basic car? On a bit of a budget but sounds like we'd get a lot more out of it by driving around.

A 5 day rental is around 50GBP.  That would be in a Renault Clio range.  

It's more expensive if you take it only fora a day. Then it's around 20GBP. The price drops with each extra day.

This is a good site. I usually use it when I'm looking for a car. It gives you all the options from all the relevant car rental companies. http://www.rentalcars.com/en/city/si/ljubljana/?affiliateCode=google&preflang=en&label=ljubljana-EGKyJ3mWUtma_EiAQwh75gS14998781232&ws=&gclid=CNiF4sehkMoCFVdsGwodw7wN2g 

Well, you need to know that Slovenia and Croatia were in the same county with Serbia and Kosovo only for 70 odd years (1918.-1991.). Both Slovenia, most of Croatia, as well as Trieste were, for 700 years under Habsburg rule (Austria) or under Venice rule. Serbia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Bosnia were, in more or less the same pperiod, under Ottoman rule (Turkey) for 400, 500 years. 

There is a huge difference in culture, religion, mentality...

For sure. I've spent much of my adult life travelling round the balkans and you can still definitely see where the old hapsburg / ottoman border was.

A 5 day rental is around 50GBP.  That would be in a Renault Clio range.  

It's more expensive if you take it only fora a day. Then it's around 20GBP. The price drops with each extra day.

This is a good site. I usually use it when I'm looking for a car. It gives you all the options from all the relevant car rental companies. http://www.rentalcars.com/en/city/si/ljubljana/?affiliateCode=google&preflang=en&label=ljubljana-EGKyJ3mWUtma_EiAQwh75gS14998781232&ws=&gclid=CNiF4sehkMoCFVdsGwodw7wN2g 

Ah brilliant, never thought It'd be that cheap, from the airport as well. Makes sense once you factor in transfers and that we wanted to visit Bled and the coast and were originally planning on public transport. I'm getting excited, wish we were able to go for longer now.

Ah brilliant, never thought It'd be that cheap, from the airport as well. Makes sense once you factor in transfers and that we wanted to visit Bled and the coast and were originally planning on public transport. I'm getting excited, wish we were able to go for longer now.

Slovenia has 7 day Vignette for the highways. It costs 15€. When you get your car ask where you can buy it. You MUST have one for all the highways as well as the Ljubljana bypass. 

As you said yourself, it makes sense to take it at the airport as soon as you land. It's easier, faster and cheaper. Book ahead online of course. 

A litre of petrol here is around 1,20€ (0,90GBP). A doubt you'll need more then one full tank for those 5 days.  

Looking to book a trip to New York for the wifes 30th birthday. Anybody got any tips of places to visit? Obviously you have the main attractions but wondering if there are any hidden gems.

Due to going New York were taking our kids on british trips this year. Going Butlins in February half term but also yesterday booked a 4 night stay in a bungalow down in Devon at a hoseasons caravan site. Went to one in Great Yarmouth last year and was quite good for the price. Summer Half Term (30th May-3rd June) for £265 for the 4 of us. Thought that was a great price and should hopefully be sunny.

Thinking of going New York for my 30th as well. Iv been before but only for 4 days so only really saw the main bits but what I would recommend for your wife's bday is a meal in the River Cafe. It's not cheap but Michelin stared restaurant and directly under the Brooklyn bridge overlooking the river and the Manhattan sky line. Absolutely guaranteed to get noshed off if you take her there lol

Thinking of going New York for my 30th as well. Iv been before but only for 4 days so only really saw the main bits but what I would recommend for your wife's bday is a meal in the River Cafe. It's not cheap but Michelin stared restaurant and directly under the Brooklyn bridge overlooking the river and the Manhattan sky line. Absolutely guaranteed to get noshed off if you take her there lol

Thanks. A trip to the River Café is now priority number 1 :thumbup:

I'm already excited about the caves, I notice there's Skocjan and Postojna, the Skocjan ones look amazing, are the ones you mentioned more impressive? Lake Bohinj also looks amazing, as does the rest of the national park. Any tips in that area?

You've both mentioned hiring a car actually, maybe i'll look into it a bit more. 

Tbh we don't have plans to hire a car but it's something to consider for a day. Trieste pips it then? 

Slovenia is a beautiful country and still so underrated (long may it continue), I try to go at least once a year. 

You've had loads of good tips already but just to mention, the Skocjan caves is a walking tour however for the Postojna caves, you are taken in on a little cart/train type thing which is pretty cool. I did the Skocjan caves last February and there were literally 4 of us on the tour. The guide translated into each of our languages it was such a small group.

If you do rent a car and don't mind a drive, then Piran is a really pretty town. Great food and easily walkable in half a day. Or going the opposite way, Maribor is a great city and previous winner of European Cultural Capital.

Enjoy Ljubljana though! 

Managed to get some cheap direct flights on the BA sale from London to California for about £630 (in August during summer holidays). Going San Jose > San Fransisco > Yosemite > Bakersfield lol > LA > San Jose. Total cost with hotels (had to go with air bnb for some as the hotels were just too expensive for anything half decent) and car rental is roughly £1250 each (me and my partner). 

Looking forward to it. Never been on the west coast before and will be the first time i'd have done a proper road trip in a car (rode to the alps and back on a motorbike). 

Slovenia is a beautiful country and still so underrated (long may it continue), I try to go at least once a year. 

You've had loads of good tips already but just to mention, the Skocjan caves is a walking tour however for the Postojna caves, you are taken in on a little cart/train type thing which is pretty cool. I did the Skocjan caves last February and there were literally 4 of us on the tour. The guide translated into each of our languages it was such a small group.

If you do rent a car and don't mind a drive, then Piran is a really pretty town. Great food and easily walkable in half a day. Or going the opposite way, Maribor is a great city and previous winner of European Cultural Capital.

Enjoy Ljubljana though! 

I think Skocjan is just pipping it at the moment, they seem to be rated as a bti quieter and a bit more impressive, I'd like to have a walk around and be able to take everything in.

Did you book in advance for the caves or pay at the venue on the day?

Enjoy Ljubljana though! 

I think Skocjan is just pipping it at the moment, they seem to be rated as a bti quieter and a bit more impressive, I'd like to have a walk around and be able to take everything in.

Managed to get some cheap direct flights on the BA sale from London to California for about £630 (in August during summer holidays). Going San Jose > San Fransisco > Yosemite > Bakersfield lol > LA > San Jose. Total cost with hotels (had to go with air bnb for some as the hotels were just too expensive for anything half decent) and car rental is roughly £1250 each (me and my partner). 

Looking forward to it. Never been on the west coast before and will be the first time i'd have done a proper road trip in a car (rode to the alps and back on a motorbike). 

That doesn't sound too bad, how long for? I've just discovered AirBnb, I'm not really sure of the downsides to it. It's all user reviewed and most of the homes seem to be very well kept, plus it's much cheaper than even the average looking hotels.

Yeh that makes sense. We just paid on the gate. Double check opening hours over winter though before setting off.

Enjoy Ljubljana though!

I went on holiday to Croatia a few years back and went into Slovenia to visit Lake Bled. Was a great trip. Also went to plitvice lakes which is probably a bit more picturesque.

Great part of the world plus they love the British

Going to Dominican Republic in June cos my birthday this year takes me into a new decade and the mrs said that as it's a big one I could choose our holiday and she'd book it. So I chose hiring a Harley Davidson and riding Route 66, but apparently a holiday ain't a holiday unless you spend 2 weeks laying next to swimming pool near a beach so Dom Rep it is.