Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 23/08/2024 at 20:16, Big Dave said:

Has anyone been to Valencia? Worth a trip? Thinking of going for 4-5 days.

any hotel recommendations in the centre?

Never been, but was once told it’s similar to Seville only a bigger city. 
I loved Seville & plan going back. Valencia is on my list too. 

On 23/08/2024 at 20:16, Big Dave said:

4-5 days be a stretch. But it’s definitely worth visiting as you have the old town, the beach and the aquarium areas and that’s three distinct areas. Good food. Not too expensive. I don’t think it’s far off ideal city break category 

stayed near the Mestalla, so can’t speak for city centre hotels 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Raj said:

Is Paris worth a few days in October half term or is it overrated?

Been twice in the last six months. I love it. Great food, loads too see, great vibe. Big bustling city that still has a soul in a way London doesn't.

• Thanks 1

On 23/08/2024 at 21:16, Big Dave said:

We love Valencia and have spent a lot of time there. We like the beach, the city, the vibe and the football! Get in a match if you can, and a flamenco evening. The food and drink is a bit pricey for Spain standards, but great quality and still loads cheaper than the UK.

The metro is great, as is the market, the museums, and the general architecture. Also the shopping if that's your thing.

We've stayed at the Ad Hoc Monumental a couple of times, right near the cathedral and a lovely building, we have friends who live in Puçol though which is a little bit further up the coast so generally stay there now while they're away.

24 minutes ago, Raj said:

I love Paris but my husband doesn't. It just has a 'feeling' for me, but I've been lots of times, whereas my husband has only been twice, so I think he just doesn't get it yet. 

Tbh I find most European cities more interesting than UK cities, but maybe it's just the fact they're not in the UK that I like lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Been twice in the last six months. I love it. Great food, loads too see, great vibe. Big bustling city that still has a soul in a way London doesn't.

Thanks

57 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I love Paris but my husband doesn't. It just has a 'feeling' for me, but I've been lots of times, whereas my husband has only been twice, so I think he just doesn't get it yet. 

Tbh I find most European cities more interesting than UK cities, but maybe it's just the fact they're not in the UK that I like lol

We love London so expect Paris to be just as busy and manic

1 minute ago, jonthefox said:

I went last weekend and loved it. Always something to do. 

Did you fly out? , we are looking at Luton on easyjet  and is it good for public transport like London?

34 minutes ago, Raj said:

Thanks

We love London so expect Paris to be just as busy and manic

Did you fly out? , we are looking at Luton on easyjet  and is it good for public transport like London?

Eurostar . Far more convienient in my opinion. Only 2.5 hrs and none of the usual waiting at airports. For three adults it cost me £444 return and that was going at probably the most expensive time ( sat afternoon) and in prime holiday time (August) too. Plus with flying you'll end up at Orly or CDG airports . With eurostar you'll get off slap bang in the centre . There's hundreds of resonably priced hotels in that area too. 

Edited by jonthefox
Forgot a bit
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

Eurostar . Far more convienient in my opinion. Only 2.5 hrs and none of the usual waiting at airports. For three adults it cost me £444 return and that was going at probably the most expensive time ( sat afternoon) and in prime holiday time (August) too. Plus with flying you'll end up at Orly or CDG airports . With eurostar you'll get off slap bang in the centre . There's hundreds of resonably priced hotels in that area too. 

Thank you.

I went on the Eurostar to Gent last year and it was fab.

Only thing was the train from Leicester to London cost more than the Eurostar( Luckily work paid for all of it).

Will see how much our lovely national railways charge for Leic to London!

53 minutes ago, Raj said:

Thank you.

I went on the Eurostar to Gent last year and it was fab.

Only thing was the train from Leicester to London cost more than the Eurostar( Luckily work paid for all of it).

Will see how much our lovely national railways charge for Leic to London!

FWIW mate, we're just in the process of booking my wife and daughter a few nights in Paris during Oct for her 18th birthday

They're flying EasyJet from Luton and it's costing about £100 each return. The reason for this and not Eurostar is Luton airport is only 35 mins from us and I'll drop them off/pick them up so no extra car parking expense.

Once they land at CDG they'll get the train into central Paris which takes about 30 mins then the metro to where they're staying. Hotels about £100 a night.

Either way, Paris is well worth a visit and you can see everything in 2 or 3 days.

• Thanks 1

On 23/08/2024 at 22:19, Milo said:

Off on a two week cruise to the Caribbean in October, relocation cruise from Southampton. You on it @Countryfox @FoyleFox ??!

Nope ..  we’re off in two weeks to Malta then boarding for some Greek islands, Croatia, Slovenia ..  and a few other places round there.   Hope you have a good time mate !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Izzy said:

FWIW mate, we're just in the process of booking my wife and daughter a few nights in Paris during Oct for her 18th birthday

They're flying EasyJet from Luton and it's costing about £100 each return. The reason for this and not Eurostar is Luton airport is only 35 mins from us and I'll drop them off/pick them up so no extra car parking expense.

Once they land at CDG they'll get the train into central Paris which takes about 30 mins then the metro to where they're staying. Hotels about £100 a night.

Either way, Paris is well worth a visit and you can see everything in 2 or 3 days.

Cheers pal.

Yep logistically we would have to stay overnight at Luton and park at the Airparks( We stayed at Premier inn Dunstable when we went to Lisbon in Easter and flew from Luton for an early flight). Never had an issue to be honest, it's just less faffing about.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Raj said:

Cheers pal.

Yep logistically we would have to stay overnight at Luton and park at the Airparks( We stayed at Premier inn Dunstable when we went to Lisbon in Easter and flew from Luton for an early flight). Never had an issue to be honest, it's just less faffing about.

To add to this, I recently did the Luton airport to CDG, such a short flight. As others said easy metro into GDN station. Loved Paris. I know it may have been the 'Olympics spirit' but the locals were friendly (stayed in Montmarte, bit pricey but was worth it as it's a nice area (Airbnb)). Renting bikes and cycling was fun. Lots of cycle lines. Aside from the obvious tourist spots, I'd recommend the Catacombs (if you're into history).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jonthefox said:

I enjoy eurostar but the time/distance benefits are overegged imo..

Door to door via East mids or Brum  would be about the same as Leicester station via St pancras Eurostar 

1 hour ago, jonthefox said:

Was going to say @Raj consider Eurostar. 

The beauty of being in the city once you get off with no passport control is brilliant. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Raj said:

15 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Can’t stand the rude, stinking, ludicrously expensive shithole

• Haha 1

On 20/08/2024 at 18:39, jgtuk said:

Haven’t been for a long time but certainly wouldn’t spend a few days there unless you have something planned, hiking or climbing , there’s a few museums and galleries and I remember eating well there, although expensive but no worse than prices in Switzerland. 
Others may have been more recently though and their experience might be different. 

My rough plan at the moment is to use it as a stopover for a couple of days before heading into Slovenia. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, waddadamadda said:

My rough plan at the moment is to use it as a stopover for a couple of days before heading into Slovenia. 

Probably ok for a stopover. There’s enough to keep you occupied as long as you plan ahead. Sounds like a great trip, I hope it goes well 👍