Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

27 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Your logic makes sense and it depends on your risk mindset, but I would much rather have 5/7ths of a pint then pay additional fees for made up things.

Time is money my friend - and you can't take it with you. 

4 hours ago, Stadt said:

I'd second the Budapest suggestion.

It's cheap, accessible, something for everyone with the ruin bars, thermal baths, culture, sights. I like stodgy central/eastern euro food so goulash and too much paprika in everything is great. Have a Hungarian Melange coffee too, they're amazing. Pinball museum is another must.

Alternatively, Prague is cheap and has loads to see and do. Kutna Hora and Sedlec Ossuary (chapel with thousands of ornate human bone sculptures) are with hoping 40 minutes on the train for too. February will be cheap for both.

Would be cold in February though. Other than that it's great. I'd do both at the same time and do the train between them, wanted to do that previously but couldn't make it work so had to do them separately.

This is probably an issue for various popular cities..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/clyn5l20z72o

Are there possibly more Brits than Spaniards where you are, out of curiosity, @FoxesDeb?

-

It can get crowded by tourists even in cooler destinations like Iceland and Norway.

Things like Airbnb are perhaps making the issue worse to some extent.

-

I'm visiting the likes of Stonehenge towards the end of the week, as part of a 4-night Devon visit, and am expecting it to be quite busy - even in September.

Edited by Wymsey

19 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Are there possibly more Brits than Spaniards where you are, out of curiosity, @FoxesDeb?

-

It can get crowded by tourists even in cooler destinations like Iceland and Norway.

-

I'm visiting the likes of Stonehenge towards the end of the week, as part of a 4-night Devon visit, and am expecting it to be quite busy - even in September.

I guess the counter argument would be why should residents be more entitled to certain areas of climate or areas of natural beauty than people not resident there, just because they were in the right place at the right time to live there previously?

And that given that we only live once no one is going to want to stay in the same piece of land their whole life and not see other parts of the world

I’m almost certain those complaining about tourism are tourists themselves during the year elsewhere and a lot of it is nimbyism and comes from a place of “do as I say not as I do”

Going round shooting water pistols at tourists having a meal at restaurant is pretty pathetic tbh

Edited by Sampson

33 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I guess the counter argument would be why should residents be more entitled to certain areas of climate or areas of natural beauty than people not resident there, just because they were in the right place at the right time to live there previously?

And that given that we only live once no one is going to want to stay in the same piece of land their whole life and not see other parts of the world

I’m almost certain those complaining about tourism are tourists themselves during the year elsewhere and a lot of it is nimbyism and comes from a place of “do as I say not as I do”

Going round shooting water pistols at tourists having a meal at restaurant is pretty pathetic tbh

They are not calling for banning tourism though are they. More responsible and sustainable tourism should be a given. The people that have built up, worked and served the area/ were simply 'in the right place at the right time' should have a fair share of the booming rewards. There should be protection for locals' basic housing and infrastructure needs. Local culture being swamped by a mass of Starbucks, Costa's and fast food chains doesn't suit anyone's long term needs. Just look at hell holes like Santorini to see what happens when unique local customs get swamped by anxiety-ridden tourists with printouts wanting to 'recharge' take over. The result is an overpriced and deathly boring plastic pit.

Shooting water pistols at tourists is as pathetic as the adult babies at JSO, but just like those pathetic parasites, it gains media attention, and that is the game I guess...

Good on the Spaniards, keep fighting IMO.

• Like 1

Everything is SO fecking expensive in October half term.

you can get a flight out cheap but your not coming back from the same place top the same Airport cheap!! W&nkers they are!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Malaga Airport is full of tourists but to suggest the city itself has a major issue is a bit weird imo. 

I suspect actually living in a tourism-heavy city gives you a different perspective.

Just now, bovril said:

I suspect actually living in a tourism-heavy city gives you a different perspective.

I just know that the majority of people going to malaga are not going to the city they are going down the coast. 

I've been loads of times and it's never struck me as being over touristed. 

Obviously property prices are still an issue. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Malaga Airport is full of tourists but to suggest the city itself has a major issue is a bit weird imo. 

I've been in summer and thought the same. But landing on an easyJet wearing ugly Brits abroad shorts from Next probably doesn't give the right to an opinion ahead of the locals. 

19 hours ago, bovril said:

House prices, traffic, restaurant bookings etc etc. I can see why it would get annoying.

Same with places in the UK like Cornwall in the summer.

Edited by VLC86
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Considering Copenhagen for a few days in October half term, as you can also get a direct train over to Malmo. Anyone been?

Went in 2016 for 4 nights to cover our match, found Copenhagen very expensive,cold and underwhelming to be honest.

Didnt think it was a great  place for attractions  aside from museums. Certainly wouldn’t return.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Considering Copenhagen for a few days in October half term, as you can also get a direct train over to Malmo. Anyone been?

Contrary to other reply, Wife and I loved it, been at least four times. Brilliant Christmas market, nice shops and some decent pubs. 
We loved Nyhavn, pretty place with a few good restaurants. 
Haven’t been for a while so can’t be more specific, maybe others will chip in. 
Didn’t find it too expensive, on a par with similar places 👍

15 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Contrary to other reply, Wife and I loved it, been at least four times. Brilliant Christmas market, nice shops and some decent pubs. 
We loved Nyhavn, pretty place with a few good restaurants. 
Haven’t been for a while so can’t be more specific, maybe others will chip in. 
Didn’t find it too expensive, on a par with similar places 👍

We love it there, its actually reasonably priced for a European capital I found.

We loved the food market, the bars, trivoli gardens, Nyhavn and Christiana were all great to visit.

Last time we went it was too busy though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wymsey said:

-

-

No where I live is predominantly Spanish, and although it's a holiday resort, the tourists are mainly Spanish too. 

It does get mad here in July and August, but it's the money that the bars and restaurants take at this time that gets them through the winter period and allows them to remain open for us residents.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Lol, what kind of review you looking for. Gone with them loads of times. Ranges from dirt cheap, on time, delayed for days, someone p1ssing in a plastic bag in a seat behind me etc etc

I'll leave it thanks Debs!!!🤣🤣

Sounds like a night out with @Daggers

Edited by Raj
  • Haha 1