Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 06/09/2024 at 15:59, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Anyone been to Perugia before? I'm going to a wedding nearby in a couple of weeks, anything to check out in the short time I have in the town itself?

No but it’s very high up my list of places to visit it. Big uni town so nightlife is better than a lot of comparable sized places. 

From what you’ve said, you won’t have enough to get over to Assisi what it is a real shame 

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

No but it’s very high up my list of places to visit it. Big uni town so nightlife is better than a lot of comparable sized places. 

From what you’ve said, you won’t have enough to get over to Assisi what it is a real shame 

Yeah I get there late in the evening and then we head to the venue the next afternoon for the weekend, so I only get a morning in the actual town. Might take my trainers and take a run round in the morning and try and see as much as I can. Looks a beautiful place.

2 hours ago, ousefox said:

Estepona is beautiful! Are you going to do any travelling around?

Planning to see as much of the town as we can. We have rented a car and are looking at driving to Ronda, although not sure if the easiest drive. We have to check out at 10am on the last day and flight isn't until 7pm so thinking of exploring Málaga. Open to any recommendations.

45 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Planning to see as much of the town as we can. We have rented a car and are looking at driving to Ronda, although not sure if the easiest drive. We have to check out at 10am on the last day and flight isn't until 7pm so thinking of exploring Málaga. Open to any recommendations.

Definitely go and see Ronda. If you really fancied making an adventurous day out of it, go to Juzcar on the way and then travel a little bit further to Sentenil de las Bodegas. 

If you want to do another day trip, have a drive along the coast and stop of in Tarifa briefly before heading to Conil. Or if you fancy a longer drive to to Cadiz. 

There is just so much to explore around there. Andalusia is my favourite place.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yeah I get there late in the evening and then we head to the venue the next afternoon for the weekend, so I only get a morning in the actual town. Might take my trainers and take a run round in the morning and try and see as much as I can. Looks a beautiful place.

Make a lot of chocolate there too! 

So, I had to cancel my birthday trip to France due to  a change in circumstance so looking to go somewhere late Oct. early Nov.

Wife wants somewhere warm so I'm discounting Europe (yes I know it's warmish in Cyprus/Tenerife/Greece etc. but don't fancy them).

She has just mentioned the phrase I've been dreading for years - what about a cruise 😱

One of her work colleagues loves cruises and has planted the seed in her head...

It won't happen but to be safe I'm trawling destinations to find a solution so she forgets.

Wish me luck.

46 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

So, I had to cancel my birthday trip to France due to  a change in circumstance so looking to go somewhere late Oct. early Nov.

Wife wants somewhere warm so I'm discounting Europe (yes I know it's warmish in Cyprus/Tenerife/Greece etc. but don't fancy them).

She has just mentioned the phrase I've been dreading for years - what about a cruise 😱

One of her work colleagues loves cruises and has planted the seed in her head...

It won't happen but to be safe I'm trawling destinations to find a solution so she forgets.

Wish me luck.

Good luck. 😄

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Torquay Gunner said:

Anyone been to Reykjavik and know of any hidden gems? Going next month. Think I will give the penis museum a miss though! 

Loved Reykjavik. How many nights will you be in the city? We found some great places frequented by locals, just by wandering around. One of the cleanest and safest cities we ever visited.

Messinn was a great restaurant, amazing seafood. Can't really go wrong with seafood anywhere around there. Fredriksen Ale House was a decent pub. If you have a chance to visit the concert hall, even just to walk through it, it's worth a few minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Torquay Gunner said:

Anyone been to Reykjavik and know of any hidden gems? Going next month. Think I will give the penis museum a miss though! 

Yes many times. Know it well. 

Good to hang out in Dillon Whiskey Bar, whilst Damon Albarn's old haunt (and former co-ownership of) Kaffibarinn is well worth a visit. 

It's a small city which you can easily explore on foot and there are also walking tours conducted by very knowledgeable guides. Find the "Neighborhood of the Gods," where the names of the streets derive from the Old Norse religion. You can find Odin's Street (Odinsgata), Thor's Street (Thorsgata), Loki's Path (Lokastigur), Freya's Street (Freyjugata), amongst several others. It's a very pleasant area. 

Austurvollur Square is the home to the Icelandic parliament, located just by the square. Cafes and shops line one side of the square, and just behind the parliament building is Reykjavik's oldest church, Domkirkjan. I once bumped into Jónsi Birgisson from Sigur Rós exiting a restaurant here. 

Reykjavik's city lake (Reykjavikurtjorn, or Tjornin for short) is home to a bevy of wildlife and if you are a keen ornithologist, a twitcher's paradise. In winter, the lake sometimes freezes, allowing people to cross on foot or ice skate. The lake is framed by beautiful old houses, behind which lies Holavallakirkjugardur, the oldest cemetery in Reykjavik. 

Go to the top of the Hallgrimskirkja (the phallic spire that looks like a penis).  It also houses the largest concert organ in Iceland at 50 feet (15 meters) tall with over a 5,000 pipes weighing in at 25 tons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NJFox said:

Messinn was a great restaurant, amazing seafood. Can't really go wrong with seafood anywhere around there.

Unless you are averse to the idea of eating whale meat. 

1 minute ago, SpacedX said:

Damon Albarn's old haunt (and former co-ownership of) Kaffibarinn is well worth a visit. 

Kaffibarinn was our hidden gem on the trip. Chill vibe, friendly patrons, and good conversation all night (we left before it changed over to a disco). We went back every night we were in town.

22 minutes ago, NJFox said:

Loved Reykjavik. How many nights will you be in the city? We found some great places frequented by locals, just by wandering around. One of the cleanest and safest cities we ever visited.

Messinn was a great restaurant, amazing seafood. Can't really go wrong with seafood anywhere around there. Fredriksen Ale House was a decent pub. If you have a chance to visit the concert hall, even just to walk through it, it's worth a few minutes.

Going for five nights.  Ha, unfortunately both my partner and I dislike seafood. Really looking forward to it, have not been abroad for a long time. 

30 minutes ago, SpacedX said:

Yes many times. Know it well. 

Good to hang out in Dillon Whiskey Bar, whilst Damon Albarn's old haunt (and former co-ownership of) Kaffibarinn is well worth a visit. 

It's a small city which you can easily explore on foot and there are also walking tours conducted by very knowledgeable guides. Find the "Neighborhood of the Gods," where the names of the streets derive from the Old Norse religion. You can find Odin's Street (Odinsgata), Thor's Street (Thorsgata), Loki's Path (Lokastigur), Freya's Street (Freyjugata), amongst several others. It's a very pleasant area. 

Austurvollur Square is the home to the Icelandic parliament, located just by the square. Cafes and shops line one side of the square, and just behind the parliament building is Reykjavik's oldest church, Domkirkjan. I once bumped into Jónsi Birgisson from Sigur Rós exiting a restaurant here. 

Reykjavik's city lake (Reykjavikurtjorn, or Tjornin for short) is home to a bevy of wildlife and if you are a keen ornithologist, a twitcher's paradise. In winter, the lake sometimes freezes, allowing people to cross on foot or ice skate. The lake is framed by beautiful old houses, behind which lies Holavallakirkjugardur, the oldest cemetery in Reykjavik. 

Go to the top of the Hallgrimskirkja (the phallic spire that looks like a penis).  It also houses the largest concert organ in Iceland at 50 feet (15 meters) tall with over a 5,000 pipes weighing in at 25 tons.

One of my very favourite artists and band :worship:

Your synopsis has made me want to revisit, last went 30 years ago and barely remember it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Torquay Gunner said:

Going for five nights.  Ha, unfortunately both my partner and I dislike seafood. Really looking forward to it, have not been abroad for a long time. 

On the positive that will save you accidentally eating whale, but you will be missing amazing lobster and clam soup.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Torquay Gunner said:

You'll also be fortunate to miss the fermented shark. I don't dislike much but, that was probably the most rank thing I've ever tried. 

On 06/09/2024 at 15:59, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Anyone been to Perugia before? I'm going to a wedding nearby in a couple of weeks, anything to check out in the short time I have in the town itself?

It's a beautiful city with a lot of art and history. Some very interesting towns nearby and beautiful landscapes especially in the Nera valley. Where's the wedding? 

Edited by bovril

2 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Me and the other half next summer are looking at doing Berlin but going via train using the European Sleeper or Nightjet from Brussels. Anyone got any recommendations? We'd probably treat ourselves to booking the entire couchette or compartment. 

When you are there go to Clash bar, king of the dive bars.