Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Any tips on Dubai...never been before...I'm staying in Media City....all help gratefully received. Ta.

Depends what you're into and what you are looking for.

Aquaventure and Wild Wadi are deffo worth a visit if you're into that kind of thing.

Go up the Burj Kalifa but don't bother with the stupidly expensive tickets to go right to the top, the standard ones are great and it's pretty much the same view.

The fountain shows at the back of Dubai Mall, next to Burj Kalifa are well worth seeing (and one of the few free things!)- make sure you go after dark though as it's much more impressive.

If you like a drink you'll need a second mortgage - it's horrifically expensive everywhere (£8 to £10 for a beer).  Buy something in the airport if you like a tipple.

No shagging on the beach.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

That doesn't sound too bad, how long for? I've just discovered AirBnb, I'm not really sure of the downsides to it. It's all user reviewed and most of the homes seem to be very well kept, plus it's much cheaper than even the average looking hotels.

just going back to this. done our first airbnb two weeks back in holland. was superb. flat/apartment type gaff for 8 people (one "bed" was a mattress on the floor in the corner of the living room but we've slept in boxes, on trains, on locked up beach sunbeds so it was basically luxury). he picked us up at the airport, took us to where we'd paid to stay, had filled the fridge with basics like milk, butter, had some coffee, cereals & bread etc. and a couple of beers. bathroom fully stocked with toothpaste, shampoo and all you'd expect in a hotel but not in tiny portions. showed us round. told us to use whatever we wanted and do whatever we wanted and just make sure nothing was broken before the cleaner came when we had to leave (not til 1pm on the last day, much better than a 9am check out or something in a hotel). 

all for about 12 quid each a night. cheaper than a hotel and a ridiculous amount better. 

just going back to this. done our first airbnb two weeks back in holland. was superb. flat/apartment type gaff for 8 people (one "bed" was a mattress on the floor in the corner of the living room but we've slept in boxes, on trains, on locked up beach sunbeds so it was basically luxury). he picked us up at the airport, took us to where we'd paid to stay, had filled the fridge with basics like milk, butter, had some coffee, cereals & bread etc. and a couple of beers. bathroom fully stocked with toothpaste, shampoo and all you'd expect in a hotel but not in tiny portions. showed us round. told us to use whatever we wanted and do whatever we wanted and just make sure nothing was broken before the cleaner came when we had to leave (not til 1pm on the last day, much better than a 9am check out or something in a hotel). 

all for about 12 quid each a night. cheaper than a hotel and a ridiculous amount better. 

My guy sounds great as well. He's already got quotes and info on car hire from the airport and sent us a couple of amazingly detailed and informative itineraries for day trips away from the capital. I'm very positive about it. 

Depends what you're into and what you are looking for.

Aquaventure and Wild Wadi are deffo worth a visit if you're into that kind of thing.

Go up the Burj Kalifa but don't bother with the stupidly expensive tickets to go right to the top, the standard ones are great and it's pretty much the same view.

The fountain shows at the back of Dubai Mall, next to Burj Kalifa are well worth seeing (and one of the few free things!)- make sure you go after dark though as it's much more impressive.

If you like a drink you'll need a second mortgage - it's horrifically expensive everywhere (£8 to £10 for a beer).  Buy something in the airport if you like a tipple.

No shagging on the beach.  :ph34r:

Thanks Wakey

Booked Vegas for me and a couple of mates in August. Well we have booked the flights, still undecided on the hotel, too many too chose from but we want to stay mid-strip.

If you have been what do you recommend doing?

Highly recommend staying at the Cosmopolitan (east tower) great location and has the option of an amazing balcony (which is very rare in vegas) which come with stunning views of the strip and the bellagio fountains,and every time I've been they are always happy to upgrade you to the higher suites for a quick handover of $20 and sometimes for free if are well mannered and chatty.

Check out YouTube for various vids of the rooms with a view

Booked Vegas for me and a couple of mates in August. Well we have booked the flights, still undecided on the hotel, too many too chose from but we want to stay mid-strip.

If you have been what do you recommend doing?

The chicken ranch just outside town ...     get to choose your own chicken and cook it any which way you want.    :whistle:

Had a great trip to Dubai, got back yesterday. While I was there I went to see three T20 cricket games - one Pakistan Super League and two in the Masters Champions League. Ended up drinking in the JW Marriott Marquis with some legends a couple of times.

Three months or so and the Ibiza journey begins again.

Amsterdam was brilliant and beautiful. 

Will definitely go there again.

Red Light District  :wub:  :knockyhat:  :nigel:

Other places like Amsterdam Arena, Heineken Experience, Sex Museums, various coffeeshops were all great to visit too.

Didn't get time to do the Anne Frank Museum (ridiculous queues all day) but reason to return one day.

So many places to walk about and just aimlessly wonder through the streets split by the canals. Lovely place to go.

Amsterdam was brilliant and beautiful. 

Will definitely go there again.

Red Light District  :wub:  :knockyhat:  :nigel:

Other places like Amsterdam Arena, Heineken Experience, Sex Museums, various coffeeshops were all great to visit too.

Didn't get time to do the Anne Frank Museum (ridiculous queues all day) but reason to return one day.

So many places to walk about and just aimlessly wonder through the streets split by the canals. Lovely place to go.

It's okay if you get there early.

It's okay if you get there early.

yeah we tried that this morning. We were advised either really early or towards closing time (6.30-7pm). 

We got there between 9.30-10am this morning and queues were bending round 2 streets from the entrance. Next time we'll probably just book a couple of months in advance as per their website!

• 2 weeks later...

Mrs booked Cape Town,Safari and Mauritius today for October.

This sounds like a holiday that could get me shot,stabbed,mugged,mauled,bitten,stung and drowned.

Can't wait.

Sounds great, I went to Mauritius in December and Cape Town is probably next on the list. Where in Mauritius are you going? Fantastic island, stunning place, amazing people.

• Like 1

This sounds like a holiday that could get me shot,stabbed,mugged,mauled,bitten,stung and drowned.

Can't wait.

Me & the Mrs have been to both places together. Mauritius in 2010 & Cape Town last October.

Both stunning places and not once did we feel scared or worried about anything happening to us.

Where abouts in Mauritius you going? The island is tiny so I suggest hiring a car out for a couple of days and go exploring. Careful of eating the fish in Mauritius I had a dodgy stomach for days.

• Like 1

Can't wait.

Suddenly my weekend in Mablethorpe doesn't seem so exiting.

• Like 1