Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Looking for a city break in January for my birthday, but would like it to be semi warm (although I am flexible on this). Been looking at Valencia, anyone been? Any other suggestions for places to go in January?

Valencia is a great city with plenty to do. Weather wise it's hit a miss like any city in Spain that time of year. You may get 20 degrees and sunny or it could rain the whole time you're there.

I agree with whoever said Palermo though, cracking city.

Edited by The soup nazi

I last went there about 20 years ago. Sounds like it hasn't changed a bit since then!

The old town was quite nice, quaint little side streets with nice restaurants and bars.

Where we were was horrible and it was just massive concrete tower blocks.

Got back from Benidorm yesterday afternoon.

What a shithole that place is. Not even very good at night.

Is the bucking bronco still bringing in the crowds at Champions bar!?

Not been since 2007 and it was bad enough then, but met the future wife their and she's determined to go back for our 10 year anniversary...Christ!!

Edited by EastAnglianFox

Has anyone been to either tsivili (or however you spell it) or vietnam?

Was in Vietnam for a few weeks about five years ago. Did HCMC to Hanoi via a few stops on the train. It was pretty good, though for me not quite as good as the other countries in that region. Long way to go for a single holiday so you'd want three weeks minimum I expect, and it's one of those places where you need to get out and about and around the country. Not much point going all the way there just to sit in a resort. Also, go in a good season for weather. When it rains it really rains.

Has anyone been to either tsivili (or however you spell it) or vietnam?

I agree with Dodgy Bob on Vietnam, I went for two weeks in the start of May and would definitely recommend it.

(Deep breath)

We did Ha Long Bay, Sapa and Hanoi in the North, Hue and Hoi An in the centre and HCM City and just a day trip to the Mekong Delta.

Favourite part was Sapa closely followed by Ha Long Bay. Sapa (north Vietnam - mountainous region) was amazing but it's a ball ache to get to (overnight trains from Hanoi that get you in at 5.45am/4am to Sapa/Hanoi either way).

Ha Long Bay - Boat trips, floating villages, thousands of very small islands

Sapa -Mountains and valleys, lots of walking/hiking.

Hanoi - Less developed than HCM but more authentic in my view.

Hue - Ancient capital, cool templates, near the DMZ re: Vietnam war.

Hoi An - Cool old town lit up with lanterns in the evening. Beaches 5km away. Loads of tailored clothes shop.

HCM City - More developed than anywhere else in Vietnam. The 'palace' (it's an old government building, not a palace) is interesting. Can't remember the name of the backpacker area, but if you like somewhere like Bangkok (not really my thing) you'll love it.

Mekong Delta - Cool scenery, mostly on a boat/canoe. Went to Ben Tre rather than My Son for day trip to get away from the crowd.

I don't regret anything we did but some parts felt a little less relaxed as we were always on the move so you'd really need 3 weeks.

But if you are stuck with two, weigh up what's most important for you (beaches / cities, partying etc) and then base things around that. We werent crazy for the beach so just did a day at the beach near Hoi An but there is Danang (45 mins from Hoi An) and Nha Trang (wasn't there but heard it was nice by others there) which have pretty nice beaches.

Beers are surprisingly alright there.

Internal flights are dirt cheap, we paid roughly USD25 per person per flight with Vietnam Airlines. The planes are better than any budget airline in the UK/Ireland too!

• Like 1

I agree with Dodgy Bob on Vietnam, I went for two weeks in the start of May and would definitely recommend it.

(Deep breath)

We did Ha Long Bay, Sapa and Hanoi in the North, Hue and Hoi An in the centre and HCM City and just a day trip to the Mekong Delta.

Favourite part was Sapa closely followed by Ha Long Bay. Sapa (north Vietnam - mountainous region) was amazing but it's a ball ache to get to (overnight trains from Hanoi that get you in at 5.45am/4am to Sapa/Hanoi either way).

Hoi An - Cool old town lit up with lanterns in the evening. Beaches 5km away. Loads of tailored clothes shop.

HCM City - More developed than anywhere else in Vietnam. The 'palace' (it's an old government building, not a palace) is interesting. Can't remember the name of the backpacker area, but if you like somewhere like Bangkok (not really my thing) you'll love it.

Mekong Delta - Cool scenery, mostly on a boat/canoe. Went to Ben Tre rather than My Son for day trip to get away from the crowd.

I don't regret anything we did but some parts felt a little less relaxed as we were always on the move so you'd really need 3 weeks.

But if you are stuck with two, weigh up what's most important for you (beaches / cities, partying etc) and then base things around that. We werent crazy for the beach so just did a day at the beach near Hoi An but there is Danang (45 mins from Hoi An) and Nha Trang (wasn't there but heard it was nice by others there) which have pretty nice beaches.

Internal flights are dirt cheap, we paid roughly USD25 per person per flight with Vietnam Airlines. The planes are better than any budget airline in the UK/Ireland too!

Thanks. Think i'm gonna be doing pretty much everything you've listed actually, going at the end of June for about two weeks.

(Deep breath)

Good stuff, can you copy and paste above and send it to my inbox please? I have tried to send it to myself but it didn't worked.

Marrakech is fvcking brilliant. Over 5 days, had a good balance of chilling by the pool in an all-inclusive hotel with great entertainment each evening and exploring nearby attractions - Atlas Mountains especially.

Going to Sicily in October and want to catch the ferry to Tunis but sounds like it's crawling with ISIS at the moment.

I'm going to Sicily on Friday... Going to introduce them to the new away kit.

Taormina

Nice. How long you there for?

Gola di Alcantara is a great day trip, and Acireale, Aci Trezza and Ripsoto are recommended places on that coast if you like amazing fish restaurants and atmsopheric side streets.

Try and spend time round Etna. There is a 'circumetna' train that has just reopened that's quite interesting. Pistachios from Etna are the best. Actually anything grown on Etna is amazing.

The interior of Sicily is completely wild and beautiful but is quite difficult to get around and it might already be too hot.

Edited by bovril

Looking at going on a lads holiday mid october time for a week, where is best to go?

Amsterdam

Berlin

Prague

Barcelona

Valencia

Lisbon

Alicante

Just a few suggestions! What are you looking to do on the holiday?