Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
floz

Shinji Okazaki

Ranieri is now going through the same thing every manager does, try and work out where on earth to play Schulpp.

Where he'll end up no one knows, probably be in goal for Chesterfield by the time he's 27.

Its fair to say that Vardy's form has really thrown the cat amongst the pigeons this season.  Pretty sure there were a few other options the management team were hoping to try out and maybe switch a few positions up... But Vardy needs to stay where he is in the role that he's playing.

Every attacking option  needs to play second fiddle to vardy right now!

Lots of interesting points from people with opposing points of view......       Would it be fair to say :

1. The fact he hails from Asia MAY have a bearing on him being here.

2. CR must like him as he picks him on a regular basis.

3. He is part of a team that is riding high and doing well.

4. He MUST be helping Vardy by pressing, harassing, and generally being a right bloody nuisance up front.  Defenders hate it and when two are doing it and throwing themselves at every ball/tackle, double trouble.

5. He is not scoring enough goals but that could quite easily change in a short space of time.

6 ....   But at the moment others are !

7. When replaced he has softened up defenders who then look knackered.

8. Leo has a completely different style which gives us options.

Personally, I think he is an asset and IF he starts banging in goals he is a potential replacement if anything happens to Vardy.  He is a good fit for our team and style.  However, we are still quite light up front and we need to invest further asap.  Wenger said today that there are a lot of good players in the Championship now due to the amount of foreign strikers arriving in the Prem, (good excuse for losing!) ...  surely there must be someone there who wants to step up and play for a Top 5 Prem team ??

Lots of interesting points from people with opposing points of view...... Would it be fair to say :

1. The fact he hails from Asia MAY have a bearing on him being here.

2. CR must like him as he picks him on a regular basis.

3. He is part of a team that is riding high and doing well.

4. He MUST be helping Vardy by pressing, harassing, and generally being a right bloody nuisance up front. Defenders hate it and when two are doing it and throwing themselves at every ball/tackle, double trouble.

5. He is not scoring enough goals but that could quite easily change in a short space of time.

6 .... But at the moment others are !

8. Leo has a completely different style which gives us options.

Personally, I think he is an asset and IF he starts banging in goals he is a potential replacement if anything happens to Vardy. He is a good fit for our team and style. However, we are still quite light up front and we need to invest further asap. Wenger said today that there are a lot of good players in the Championship now due to the amount of foreign strikers arriving in the Prem, (good excuse for losing!) ... surely there must be someone there who wants to step up and play for a Top 5 Prem team ??

HOW IS HE HELPING VARDY? 60% of Vardy's 10 goals have come without him on the pitch?

He has 1 in 11 games, no assists.

How is just running around justifiable? Vardy taking a header down against Arsenal and finishing superbly cannot be put down to Shinji. Him taking a player on and winning a penalty at Bournemouth isn't down to Shinji.

Some people are desperate to give him credit for something. Maybe because it's a signing that was completed under Pearson, maybe because it's cool to be positive round here, but look at the facts first.

I was happy at £4m for nugent, but looks terrible business considering he was better than Okazaki with that link up and peoples main complaint was he doesn't score enough and Okazaki is no goal threat at all.

I don't think he's cutting it right now but that's not to say he won't-- plenty of players need time to adjust to the PL and, hey, at least he's getting the opportunity to play in league matches, unlike Kramaric.

Nobody can deny Okazaki's work rate and desire out there, but he's having an awful time holding the ball and winning anything in the air. The physicality of the league is getting to him; he spends A LOT of time on the ground. He's certainly willing to hustle back to win balls but he's a bit too eager on those challenges. He won a crucial foul on Saturday but that didn't really make up for other errors.

I'm waiting to see how a fit Ulloa will do out there with Vardy on current form. Leo offers great hold up play and defensive cover on set pieces (we have a very small lineup without him); he's an aerial threat and can finish.

Some of you are unbelivable. We're talking about a player that has hit double figures in the German top flight in the past two seasons. All of a sudden he's "shit" and "Schlupp is twice the player". Give over. 

Just because he hasn't scored recently doesn't mean he has been ineffective. I've said it before but some of his work off the ball is very good and he has created many chances for us just by playing his game - ie closing down and making the opposition rush. Some of our goals this season have come from this sort of play.

4. He MUST be helping Vardy by pressing, harassing, and generally being a right bloody nuisance up front.  Defenders hate it and when two are doing it and throwing themselves at every ball/tackle, double trouble.

HOW IS HE HELPING VARDY? 60% of Vardy's 10 goals have come without him on the pitch?

See points 4 and 7 (for crying out loud) 

This guy doesn't actually read anyone's posts other than his own, don't bother....

Read this one.  And whats your opinion on Shinji ....    come on I'm all ears ....   

See points 4 and 7 (for crying out loud) 

Why is he picked then ???   Or are you smarter than Claudio ???

Easy to pick holes.

Guest Col city fan

Nobody's answered the question.

Does running around a lot equate to first team selection?

Has Okazaki 'assisted' Vardy? As far as I can recall, a lot of Vardy's assists have come from Mahrez?

What does Shinji actually offer? I can't pin it down. He's not especially quick, big and strong, don't score many.

I think he's ok at linking play up and that's probably where he's been most effective.

It's bizarre..The stats suggest he adds value..but it's hard to really say how.

I see the Schlupp bashing continues.

For fooks sake..we're 5th and he's been ever - present.

You could say the same for Okazaki.

Nobody's answered the question.

Does running around a lot equate to first team selection?

Has Okazaki 'assisted' Vardy? As far as I can recall, a lot of Vardy's assists have come from Mahrez?

What does Shinji actually offer? I can't pin it down. He's not especially quick, big and strong, don't score many.

I think he's ok at linking play up and that's probably where he's been most effective.

It's bizarre..The stats suggest he adds value..but it's hard to really say how.

Your questions are a little bit lop-sided .

His 'running around' as you call it can put pressure on defenders, force mistakes, leave holes for Vardy to get into and also leave holes for others to get into and give them space to make the assists. An attacker with a high pressure game can be an invaluable asset.

But to get what you are probably implying at, there will come a time when more is going to be expected of him with regards to contributing more goals and assists

Yes and yes. Schlupp has been a bit of a joke this season really. Much worse than Okazaki.

Yes and yes. Schlupp has been a bit of a joke this season really. Much worse than Okazaki.

Schlupp has often been influential for all that he embarrasses himself on occasions too. It's probable Schlupp's absence last night did us no favours at all because there was no-one fast for Hull to worry about. 

Schlupp makes a difference as an early point or extra point of defence, as an occasional scorer or maker of goals and for the fairly regular trouble his pace causes in attack too.

When defences have to cope with all three of Schlupp, Vardy and Mahrez, they're bound to be under pressure but it's not the case with Shinji.  

Indeed, with Dyer cuptied we had no-one to unlock defences until Mahrez and Vardy came on and then, sadly, we couldn't cope defensively, not even for a few minutes after gaining the lead.

His 'running around' as you call it can put pressure on defenders, force mistakes, leave holes for Vardy to get into and also leave holes for others to get into and give them space to make the assists. An attacker with a high pressure game can be an invaluable asset.

But to get what you are probably implying at, there will come a time when more is going to be expected of him with regards to contributing more goals and assists

Can you please name a goal or even a chance when you can see Okazaki has forced a mistake or occupied a defender to give Vardy a chance? I've never seen it?

I see Vardy doing a lot of forcing mistakes, even Albrighton, but when I watch Okazaki, he just gets it passed round him as he isn't fast enough, and like against Hull, when he gets near he isn't strong enough to challenge unlucky Vardy.

Guest Col city fan

Don't get me wrong. I'm not having a pop at him. It's clear he's adding value, in terms of we get more points when he's in the side.

But there's surely got to be more to any top professional's game that 'running around' or 'pressurising' or whatever you want to call it. Or not..maybe he's just right for Vardy? It would be interesting to see how we faired if Vardy got injured. Heaven forbid.

If Shinji came from Iceland there's no chance he'd be in our team. That's not me being against him either.

After the Sunderland game I thought we'd unearthed a gem.

Since then he's been one long anti-climax and not a patch on what's needed for all that he's such a willing worker.

For all that we're fifth in the table, our team still has several weaknesses that rapidly need strengthening. And he seems to be one of them. 

Archived