Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
floz

Shinji Okazaki

Schlupp has often been influential for all that he embarrasses himself on occasions too. It's probable Schlupp's absence last night did us no favours at all because there was no-one fast for Hull to worry about.

Schlupp makes a difference as an early point or extra point of defence, as an occasional scorer or maker of goals and for the fairly regular trouble his pace causes in attack too.

When defences have to cope with all three of Schlupp, Vardy and Mahrez, they're bound to be under pressure but it's not the case with Shinji.

Indeed, with Dyer cuptied we had no-one to unlock defences until Mahrez and Vardy came on and then, sadly, we couldn't cope defensively, not even for a few minutes after gaining the lead.

Jeff has three assists to his name so far in his career. None so far this season. so yes he's an 'occasional' maker of goals in the most liberal sense of the word.

He offers pace but very rarely a useful end product. Some of the end product he delivers is downright weird. He regularly looks like he has forgotten where he is, mainly when he has the ball in useful positions.

I'll concede that he has proved himself useful occasionally (using your definition of the word) tracking back and making himself an extra defensive body. Something that shinji has also been doing very well, but apparently unnoticed by you?

They're not really players that lend themselves to easy comparisons though. If the question is why are they in the team, then with shinji it's easy - he's a proven goalscorer who, though yet to properly shine, works hard all over the pitch and occupies defenders. In addition, Ulloa has been injured lately and in any case changed the way we successfully play too much, while Kramaric is just Kramaric.

Why is Schlupp still in the team? Fuchs is five times the defender and both Dyer and Albrighton are vastly superior wingers.

Lots of interesting points from people with opposing points of view...... Would it be fair to say :

1. The fact he hails from Asia MAY have a bearing on him being here.

2. CR must like him as he picks him on a regular basis.

3. He is part of a team that is riding high and doing well.

4. He MUST be helping Vardy by pressing, harassing, and generally being a right bloody nuisance up front. Defenders hate it and when two are doing it and throwing themselves at every ball/tackle, double trouble.

5. He is not scoring enough goals but that could quite easily change in a short space of time.

6 .... But at the moment others are !

7. When replaced he has softened up defenders who then look knackered.

8. Leo has a completely different style which gives us options.

Personally, I think he is an asset and IF he starts banging in goals he is a potential replacement if anything happens to Vardy. He is a good fit for our team and style. However, we are still quite light up front and we need to invest further asap. Wenger said today that there are a lot of good players in the Championship now due to the amount of foreign strikers arriving in the Prem, (good excuse for losing!) ... surely there must be someone there who wants to step up and play for a Top 5 Prem team ??

Believe me. Him being from Asia has a huge baring on him being here.

Cr playing him has a huge baring on him being manager.

Pearson (despite the official line that he had been scouted before) not being our manager has a lot to do with the signing of him.

He is the owners signing make no mistake about it.

Jeff has three assists to his name so far in his career. None so far this season. so yes he's an 'occasional' maker of goals in the most liberal sense of the word.

He offers pace but very rarely a useful end product. Some of the end product he delivers is downright weird. He regularly looks like he has forgotten where he is, mainly when he has the ball in useful positions.

I'll concede that he has proved himself useful occasionally (using your definition of the word) tracking back and making himself an extra defensive body. Something that shinji has also been doing very well, but apparently unnoticed by you?

They're not really players that lend themselves to easy comparisons though. If the question is why are they in the team, then with shinji it's easy - he's a proven goalscorer who, though yet to properly shine, works hard all over the pitch and occupies defenders. In addition, Ulloa has been injured lately and in any case changed the way we successfully play too much, while Kramaric is just Kramaric.

Why is Schlupp still in the team? Fuchs is five times the defender and both Dyer and Albrighton are vastly superior wingers.

career at 22? Hardly a career mate.

Does Shinji look like a natural goal scorer to you? I can't remember him shooting at all in the last 5 games, or even getting in a position to!

And that's obvious and you say it in your own past, schlupp gives defensive cover well and gets forward and back quickly due to his pace. He lapses in concentration and can do some baffling things, but he, even as a left back concerns defenders more than Okazaki.

I haven't seen a defender look scared of Okazaki since that dire Sunderland defence.

Nobody's answered the question.

Does running around a lot equate to first team selection?

Has Okazaki 'assisted' Vardy? As far as I can recall, a lot of Vardy's assists have come from Mahrez?

What does Shinji actually offer? I can't pin it down. He's not especially quick, big and strong, don't score many.

I think he's ok at linking play up and that's probably where he's been most effective.

It's bizarre..The stats suggest he adds value..but it's hard to really say how.

I see the Schlupp bashing continues.

For fooks sake..we're 5th and he's been ever - present.

Col genuinely posted these within two minutes.

Oh, they are serious suggestions? He's piss weak and got shoved off whenever he got near it against a weakened championship defence!!!! Okazaki was the knackered one.

Did you not see on Saturday that, when Mahrez was in that position, he didn't do half the work Okazaki does. I'd would generally hate to come up against a partnership of Vardy and Okazaki as they both don't stop harassing. 

Did you not see on Saturday that, when Mahrez was in that position, he didn't do half the work Okazaki does. I'd would generally hate to come up against a partnership of Vardy and Okazaki as they both don't stop harassing.

You'd rather come up against Mahrez than Okazaki?

And while I agree mahrez isn't someone who will constantly close, he occupies so many defenders because he is actually a threat on the ball, hence the assist on Saturday.

Believe me. Him being from Asia has a huge baring on him being here.

Cr playing him has a huge baring on him being manager.

Pearson (despite the official line that he had been scouted before) not being our manager has a lot to do with the signing of him.

He is the owners signing make no mistake about it.

Let's be honest, this is what the Okazaki-hate is all about - people desperate for our owners to comply with their prejudices despite it not making a lot of sense. It apparently doesn't matter that he was thoroughly scouted by Nigel Pearson's revered scouting team, nor that he has a highly successful record as an international and top flight striker. All that matters is the pathetic feeling of satisfaction some derive from convincing themselves that the foreign owners have done something stereotypical.

Guest Col city fan

colin what's with u and leaping to the defense of schlupp. like a dad at his kid's game

Schlupp has recieved a lot of bashing on this forum, over time.

I've almost consistently maintained I think he's an integral part of this team and crucial to our success.

He can do things other players can't AND can make some daft errors too.

But I recon he's under-rated by many on here. Always have, so defend him.

Regarding Okazaki..again I'm aware of his value added to our results, but can't for the life of me pin down just what he does and how he contributes. He must do somehow. But it's not obvious IMO.

Let's be honest, this is what the Okazaki-hate is all about - people desperate for our owners to comply with their prejudices despite it not making a lot of sense. It apparently doesn't matter that he was thoroughly scouted by Nigel Pearson's revered scouting team, nor that he has a highly successful record as an international and top flight striker. All that matters is the pathetic feeling of satisfaction some derive from convincing themselves that the foreign owners have done something stereotypical.

Not on my part. Just repeating what I have been told from someone very close to the club. And although he came in 4 days before Nige left.

Shakespeare did the press. Nige was already aware he was going. From what I am told. And I am not itk or have never claimed to be.

But I happen to know someone who was involved with the Lineker consortium a life long fan and still has friends at the club now. I don't see him in person very often but he has no reason to muck spread.

Not on my part. Just repeating what I have been told from someone very close to the club. And although he came in 4 days before Nige left.

Shakespeare did the press. Nige was already aware he was going. From what I am told. And I am not itk or have never claimed to be.

But I happen to know someone who was involved with the Lineker consortium a life long fan and still has friends at the club now. I don't see him in person very often but he has no reason to muck spread.

Youre going to go with the whole, "someone close to the club" thing, really? This is almost as bad as when you tried to claim that our owners were intentionally trying to annoy fans by ensuring we got more sky to coverage.

Shinji has never proved himself a Premiership marksman nor looked like he might. Nor has he made the kind of runs that make space for others, nor does he take on and beat people causing defences to become disorganised and nor is he a particularly good tackler for all his willingness. He's too easily pushed off the ball and too much time on his backside.

No-one's discussing Schlupp as a full-back or as a rival to Fuchs. Just as someone who provides assistance and is a combative first line of defence when the occasion arises. Schlupp is a left-side midfielder really and useful both in defence and attack because his runs do have to be watched, he can get past people, he does get into scoring positions and he can defend without getting pushed off the ball.

As for Dyer and Albrighton the former is unproven as yet having been little more than a promising part-timer and I don't share your belief in Albrighton at all. Yes, he's a willing supplementary defender but he has nothing like the penetration of Schlupp in attack and, as for crosses, he just seems to hit them aimlessly whether it's the right pass or not and very few find their mark because the receivers have little chance of getting on the end of them. I don't say he's no good but if I were a defender I know I'd much sooner mark him than Schlupp and imagine most defenders would say the same.        

Okazaki-hate? I can't speak for others but I'd love the bloke to do well and prove himself a dynamic marksman. But post-Sunderland he's played between "busy" and "disappointing" and the stats seem to echo as much.  

People are looking for conspiracy theories to explain why he's starting despite his lack of offensive contribution.

Had a vivid dream last night that he bagged two tap ins against the baggies and had another two incorrectly ruled out and everyone was loving him again.

Also when he scored, he, Albrighton and someone else did a celebration where they lay face down on the floor and another player lay on top of them doing press ups on their backs. Shinji was unfortunate enough to have Matt Elliott on top of him, and got the hump when Elliott dug his elbows into his back instead of doing press ups. Not only was it painful but it ruined the whole celebration. I felt sorry for shinji but was pleased to read people on here saying his four goals (two incorrectly ruled out) proved his pedigree but some people dismissed them as tap ins that anyone could score. But it was his positional sense that got him the goals.

Youre going to go with the whole, "someone close to the club" thing, really? This is almost as bad as when you tried to claim that our owners were intentionally trying to annoy fans by ensuring we got more sky to coverage.

Believe what you want. But unless Pearson's settlement is as water tight as mad mandy made mad dogs it will eventually come out in the wash.

Pearson was offered 3 players buy the owners he didn't want any as he didn't feel they added to the squad or the 1st team in a way he wanted.

The owners pressed ahead with the signing. Hence Shakespeare doing the media. Pearson getting sacked later.

And plenty of speculation at the minute to how and why he is still being paid by the club.

Who hates him. He's been largely non existent for us, simple as that. If it was any other player I'd say the same thing

He's doing what Vardy did last season.

Didn't get any goals, didn't get any assists but still made valuable contributions to the team.

Stats are relatively meaningless and can be skewed easily. I think he's been valuable (not undroppable) to us and I certainly prefer to see him start games with Vardy rather than Leo or Krammy.

He's a valuable squad member and I think it's a shame that others don't see that because he's being outshone by our other forwards.

Archived