Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
floz

Shinji Okazaki

He's doing what Vardy did last season.

Didn't get any goals, didn't get any assists but still made valuable contributions to the team.

Stats are relatively meaningless and can be skewed easily. I think he's been valuable (not undroppable) to us and I certainly prefer to see him start games with Vardy rather than Leo or Krammy.

He's a valuable squad member and I think it's a shame that others don't see that because he's being outshone by our other forwards.

Not entirely true tho is it, Vardy was carrying injuries, yet scored and assisted in the utd game turning it in our favour. Then when the run started last season, look at him coming of the bench at everton to help turn that game, the goal as west brom to win the game.

Apart from a goal at west ham, we are yet to see anything other than some willing endevour, it was obvious to most it wasn't working against spurs, he has had little joy since, he was meant to be an improvement on nugent for example, well so far his return looks worse.

I hope he comes good, I just don't think the way we play when we have the ball suits, yes off the ball, closing down etc, but when we break with pace he can't stay with vardy so is never in a threatening position.

Not sure what the answer is tho. But I guess that's why I am just on here having my say, CR is the man that needs to find it, I would prefer leo to get a start on sat.

Didn't get any goals, didn't get any assists but still made valuable contributions to the team.

Stats are relatively meaningless and can be skewed easily. I think he's been valuable (not undroppable) to us and I certainly prefer to see him start games with Vardy rather than Leo or Krammy.

He's a valuable squad member and I think it's a shame that others don't see that because he's being outshone by our other forwards.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Virtually every assist of goal Vardy was involved in was massive.

He's a valuable squad member and I think it's a shame that others don't see that because he's being outshone by our other forwards.

Couldn't disagree more. Not offering anything like Vardy did. Also Leo scored 12 goals last season so I don't know why you'd rather see someone offering no assists or goal in his place

think you missed the point somewhat fella, don't know if you're drunk or what but you may want to read those posts again..... wasn't replying to anything you said.....

Mucho apologio Arriba ...    and to Swan Lesta ....  Drinking and posting sometimes do not mix well !!   What a plonker.

Sorry lads.

He's a valuable squad member and I think it's a shame that others don't see that because he's being outshone by our other forwards.

One of the lowest for key passes, dribbles, tackles. One of the highest for being dispossessed, with only mahrez above him. No assists, one goal.

Vardy has scored more goals without him on the pitch, I repeat again.

This isn't skewed, it's just facts.

Nobody's answered the question.

Does running around a lot equate to first team selection?

Has Okazaki 'assisted' Vardy? As far as I can recall, a lot of Vardy's assists have come from Mahrez?

What does Shinji actually offer? I can't pin it down. He's not especially quick, big and strong, don't score many.

I think he's ok at linking play up and that's probably where he's been most effective.

It's bizarre..The stats suggest he adds value..but it's hard to really say how.

Well if you look at the stats I think it's clear what he offers above the others in that position. His offensive stats aren't that much worse than Kramaric, whilst his defensive side of the game far outweighs that of Kramaric.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2014/2015/leonardo_ulloa/165/126/10242/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/andrej_kramaric/165/126/8726/0/p|premier_league/2015/2016/shinji_okazaki/165/165/2354/0/p#pass_completion/key_passes/assists/goals_scored/chances_created/tackles_won/aerial_duels_won/total_duels_%#90

Ulloa is clearly the better striker of the three when you look at the stats. But as I've said 100 times, including Ulloa will mean Vardy playing the support role again like he did last season, a season with high assists and low goals. With him scoring as he is, I don't think they feel they can switch him back to that.

Also one of the worst for key passes, one of the worst for dribbles

Only beaten my mahrez in terms of how many times dispossessed per game.

One of the lowest shots per game ratio, below drinkwater, Albrighton, mahrez, Vardy, and even schlupp who plays most of his games at left back.

No threat

About third worst for amount of passes a game. You get my point.

I don't think I do... Can you clarify how much you don't rate Okazaki? 

We've got a player who plays for his International side - 47 in 96 is some record -, who has spent the last five seasons in the Bundesliga but he joins Leicester City and isn't deemed good enough by some? Yeah, ok. We're good at this. He scored 14 last year and 15 the year before for Mainz, he's obviously got the ability that you're so easily dismissing. 

I'll go back to this but .. Mahrez's goal at West Ham came from Okazaki closing down the opposition, Schlupp's goal at Norwich started with Okazaki winning the ball back deep in midfield... There's much more to certain forwards than scoring goals. Defending from the front and that's what you get with Okazaki (and Vardy). I agree that he hasn't been as good as he initially was but I'd play him behind Vardy tomorrow. Just give him time to adapt.

Well if you look at the stats I think it's clear what he offers above the others in that position. His offensive stats aren't that much worse than Kramaric, whilst his defensive side of the game far outweighs that of Kramaric.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2014/2015/leonardo_ulloa/165/126/10242/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/andrej_kramaric/165/126/8726/0/p|premier_league/2015/2016/shinji_okazaki/165/165/2354/0/p#pass_completion/key_passes/assists/goals_scored/chances_created/tackles_won/aerial_duels_won/total_duels_%#90

Ulloa is clearly the better striker of the three when you look at the stats. But as I've said 100 times, including Ulloa will mean Vardy playing the support role again like he did last season, a season with high assists and low goals. With him scoring as he is, I don't think they feel they can switch him back to that.

Eugh those assists (or lack of) from Krammy and Shinji are depressing. 

We've got a player who plays for his International side - 47 in 96 is some record -, who has spent the last five seasons in the Bundesliga but he joins Leicester City and isn't deemed good enough by some? Yeah, ok. We're good at this. He scored 14 last year and 15 the year before for Mainz, he's obviously got the ability that you're so easily dismissing.

I'll go back to this but .. Mahrez's goal at West Ham came from Okazaki closing down the opposition, Schlupp's goal at Norwich started with Okazaki winning the ball back deep in midfield... There's much more to certain forwards than scoring goals. Defending from the front and that's what you get with Okazaki (and Vardy). I agree that he hasn't been as good as he initially was but I'd play him behind Vardy tomorrow. Just give him time to adapt.

What he and Kramaric (and Inler) have done for their previous club and countries is irrelevant to our team selection. Yes he should be given time to adapt because of it but in no way should he be starting whilst offering the very little he is doing

What he and Kramaric (and Inler) have done for their previous club and countries is irrelevant to our team selection. Yes he should be given time to adapt because of it but in no way should he be starting whilst offering the very little he is doing

Who we starting ahead of him then? 

Mahrez hasn't got the aggression or hard work that Okazaki has and we saw that last week. Vardy looked lost at times. I think Vardy/Okazaki is a perfect partnership - they're both aggressive, fast, will close down, work hard - and I know Vardy is the only forward scoring atm but they both suite our style of play.

I like Ulloa just as much as the next fan - great season last season - and although he gives us something different he's also slower than Vardy and Okazaki. Same applies to Kramaric too. Tbf, I wouldn't mind seeing Vardy and Ulloa again but I'd still like to see Okazaki in the side.

I suppose if you're not scoring then we'd expect a change but I don't think Mahrez behind Vardy is the answer.

Eugh those assists (or lack of) from Krammy and Shinji are depressing. 

Exactly, with almost the same amount of minutes both of their offensive stats are crap. So if you want more the options are Mahrez, who I think is better on the wing and will never offer the defensive side of it. Or Ulloa, which would mean moving Vardy about and probably a large drop off in goals from him.

The fact others have done well to score after we won the ball shouldn't be given to him as credit. If he was doing it over and over and by virtue of amount of times he's done it we created opportunity after opportunity that would be fair enough, but I've already pointed out he has one of the lowest successful tackles per game of the team? Vardy himself does more!

Then you've chose to ignore also the fact only mahrez loses it more often. Considering he has about 6 goals and 5 assists, you can understand.

I don't care what he has done before, in what is a weaker, and slower league. It's what he does for Leicester that counts, and I don't think just closing down is good enough.

The fact others have done well to score after we won the ball shouldn't be given to him as credit. If he was doing it over and over and by virtue of amount of times he's done it we created opportunity after opportunity that would be fair enough, but I've already pointed out he has one of the lowest successful tackles per game of the team? Vardy himself does more!

Then you've chose to ignore also the fact only mahrez loses it more often. Considering he has about 6 goals and 5 assists, you can understand.

I don't care what he has done before, in what is a weaker, and slower league. It's what he does for Leicester that counts, and I don't think just closing down is good enough.

Sound. We've all got different opinions. I just think Okazaki and Vardy compliment each other well ... both fast, aggressive, hard working. (You're not going to get any of that with Ulloa or Kramaric).

Who do you want in then ? ....  Whats the answer ?

Who we starting ahead of him then?

Mahrez hasn't got the aggression or hard work that Okazaki has and we saw that last week. Vardy looked lost at times. I think Vardy/Okazaki is a perfect partnership - they're both aggressive, fast, will close down, work hard - and I know Vardy is the only forward scoring atm but they both suite our style of play.

I like Ulloa just as much as the next fan - great season last season - and although he gives us something different he's also slower than Vardy and Okazaki. Same applies to Kramaric too. Tbf, I wouldn't mind seeing Vardy and Ulloa again but I'd still like to see Okazaki in the side.

I suppose if you're not scoring then we'd expect a change but I don't think Mahrez behind Vardy is the answer.

I agree with you regarding Mahrez behind Vardy, that just didn't work, at all!

The most impressed I've been with Okazaki recently was off the bench against Palace. Thought he changed the tempo of the game back in our favour for a while after being severely on the back foot. For me this could be a good way of getting the best out of him and slowly integrating him back into the starting 11 if he peeforms. If we don't give Leo another chance I think we could be left wondering 'what if' come the end of the season. If we gave him that chance for 2 or 3 games and it blatantly doesn't work then Shinji's inclusion will be fully justified.

Can't believe anybody's saying he is worse than Vardy was for most of last season.

Vardy was useless for all bar one game until mid-February. As for him carrying injuries that's fair enough, but Okazaki's adapting to a new country and new team. In his first 10 premier league games he's had 2 good games which is more than Vardy managed in his first 20.

There's plenty about him to suggest he's good enough. He's out of form at the moment and it would be nice to have a different option but, like Nugent, when he's at it he's integral to the way this team plays.

I agree with you regarding Mahrez behind Vardy, that just didn't work, at all!

The most impressed I've been with Okazaki recently was off the bench against Palace. Thought he changed the tempo of the game back in our favour for a while after being severely on the back foot. For me this could be a good way of getting the best out of him and slowly integrating him back into the starting 11 if he peeforms. If we don't give Leo another chance I think we could be left wondering 'what if' come the end of the season. If we gave him that chance for 2 or 3 games and it blatantly doesn't work then Shinji's inclusion will be fully justified.

Yeah, I agree. Ulloa scored 14 goals in all competitions last season in a team that spent half the season bottom of the league. He deserves his chance, which I don't feel he's had yet. As I said previous, I really do like Ulloa don't doubt that.

I just think some posters are being incredibly harsh on Okazaki. He's played 10 (?) games in a new Country, a new league, we all want/need time adapting to a new job, right?

Yeah, I agree. Ulloa scored 14 goals in all competitions last season in a team that spent half the season bottom of the league. He deserves his chance, which I don't feel he's had yet. As I said previous, I really do like Ulloa don't doubt that.

I just think some posters are being incredibly harsh on Okazaki. He's played 10 (?) games in a new Country, a new league, we all want/need time adapting to a new job, right?

Yes definitely mate. Just so long as that's not a detriment to the team. I think because of his nationality it's made people more suspicious about his game time, which imo has nothing to do with it

Leo will get his chance. For now, Okazaki plays the hole ( ;) ) better than anyone else we've got.

Mahrez is a winger, he's not nearly as effective in the middle IMO.

Leo would involve Vardy changing his game and it's clearly not the right time to do that. Leo and Vardy are number 9s, Okazaki and Kramaric are number 10s. Both Okazaki and Vardy are the better options.

Leo will get his chance. For now, Okazaki plays the hole ( ;) ) better than anyone else we've got.

Mahrez is a winger, he's not nearly as effective in the middle IMO.

Leo would involve Vardy changing his game and it's clearly not the right time to do that. Leo and Vardy are number 9s, Okazaki and Kramaric are number 10s. Both Okazaki and Vardy are the better options.

I have to disagree i think he is equally strong in both positions

I have to disagree i think he is equally strong in both positions

I don't. Especially when he's only behind one striker.

His performances on the wing have been far better than behind the striker for me. He creates and scores more.

I've just googled myself to remind myself of Okazaki's contribution in those two goals.

Against Norwich he won the ball in his own half, well done Okazaki but he can take little credit for the goal as 99% of the time Norwich don't concede from that position at the point when they lose the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Bokd0rf2w

On this one (2:22) he can't take that much credit either as he gets the ball, shields it and passes to Albrighton who then does all the work to create the chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZk1Mv000g

I hope he succeeds here but apart from his goal this return is poor for a No 10 in a team that is averaging two goals per game if these are the best examples you can give us.

Archived