Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
floz

Shinji Okazaki

Much of what Albrighton did as an attacker today was wasted through having no genuine target for his crosses - especially with Watford defending deep. Last week, it was not that Ulloa necessarily won the crosses but he took the defenders to leave the space behind him.

Shinji is totally different. He did have a chance to shoot but opted out. Otherwise his entire contribution,  important though it was, involved pressuring the opposition, helping regain possession and preventing Watford from having the time to pick out their big hitters.

As such the change was important and worked well especially with Mahrez and Drinkwater starting to feel the pace.

But then I also feel introducing King - albeit very late on - also took the sting out of Watford because we were starting to get very ragged at that time and were in danger of losing out composure. King came in and calmed everything down by just doing the simple things well.

So full marks to Ranieri for typically thoughtful and effective changes but none of that alters my impression that Shinji is an energetic, pressurising midfielder rather than a support striker for anyone.

Thankfully Vardy and Mahrez are consistently doing enough to make that limitation seem of no consequence. 

And there's no arguing with the results so why would Ranieri need to change his thinking on the subject?

Put simply, Shinji is something of an insurance man. The sort of player who enables us to keep playing the particular way we do without imposing too much pressure on the defenders. 

Much of what Albrighton did as an attacker today was wasted through having no genuine target for his crosses - especially with Watford defending deep. Last week, it was not that Ulloa necessarily won the crosses but he took the defenders to leave the space behind him.

Shinji is totally different. He did have a chance to shoot but opted out. Otherwise his entire contribution, important though it was, involved pressuring the opposition, helping regain possession and preventing Watford from having the time to pick out their big hitters.

As such the change was important and worked well especially with Mahrez and Drinkwater starting to feel the pace.

But then I also feel introducing King - albeit very late on - also took the sting out of Watford because we were starting to get very ragged at that time and were in danger of losing out composure. King came in and calmed everything down by just doing the simple things well.

So full marks to Ranieri for typically thoughtful and effective changes but none of that alters my impression that Shinji is an energetic, pressurising midfielder rather than a support striker for anyone.

Thankfully Vardy and Mahrez are consistently doing enough to make that limitation seem of no consequence.

And there's no arguing with the results so why would Ranieri need to change his thinking on the subject?

Put simply, Shinji is something of an insurance man. The sort of player who enables us to keep playing the particular way we do without imposing too much pressure on the defenders.

I agree well put

Not completely sold on Okazaki but his contribution today was game changing. Injected pace, determination and a foil for Vardy after the break and allowed Mahrez and Albrighton to do their thing on the wing. Fair play to the fella.

Not completely sold on Okazaki but his contribution today was game changing. Injected pace, determination and a foil for Vardy after the break and allowed Mahrez and Albrighton to do their thing on the wing. Fair play to the fella.

No, just no.

lol

Shinji is a bloody hard worker, he puts his body about & can be very clever with the ball at his feet, some lovely touches today especially that back heel to Albrighton I think it was.

All he needs is a goal, that good run he did but didn't apply a finish shows he is lacking confidence.

Until we get a more suited '10'

He's more than capable if the ball is played to him on the deck?

Great feet , granted should stay on them more.

Playing vardys role of last season? He got six so ...?

New country,team style of play etc ...

We scouted him for a long while and he's contributed to us being 3rd.

Badly needs a goal .

He spends more time on the deck than anything else. He dives too. He isn't very likeable tbh

Dives?

It's clever play more like, he turns his body into players & gets free kicks, Vardy does the same but I don't see him getting classed as a diver.

See Okazaki as an attacking pressing midfielder not a striker.Rarely looks like scoring.I thought Ulloa might have been brought on as Watford seemed to have a major height advantage and we did not seem to be winning much in the first half or do much from set pieces.

However to be fair he did seem to get stuck in and upset the rhythm Watford had in the first half so reasonable move and credit to the player and manager.

Dives?

It's clever play more like, he turns his body into players & gets free kicks, Vardy does the same but I don't see him getting classed as a diver.

He does throw himself down unnecessary, I like him though, and they are fouls he just likes to do it in a theatritical manner

Okazaki doesn't win that many free-kicks when he goes down. Refs not buying them.

Did you even go to today's game?

He won three free kicks in a matter of minutes, due to his clever way of turning into defenders.

Okazaki doesn't win that many free-kicks when he goes down. Refs not buying them.

He was the most fouled player on the pitch today and only played half the game.

Game changing?!??? Just no. Came on and did ok today but nothing special. He chases and huffs and puffs but adds little bar a free kick here and there. Its like his entire game revolves around hitting the deck. On a few occasions i swear he was crawling on all fours around the oppositions defenders.

I feel like the late 90' changes are about and King came in because:

1. Time wasting.

2. Stifling momentum.

3. Ability.

Took some time to get into it in the second half-- he really makes things too complicated out there (see the play where he went down at the top of the box). Once he simplified his game, I was very pleased with his contributions. He really helped see the last few minutes out.

Did you even go to today's game?

He won three free kicks in a matter of minutes, due to his clever way of turning into defenders.

Yeah, I went. Not talking solely about today's game. I've seen refs wave the game on times this season when he's gone down.

Clever way of turning in to defenders? Wants to try it in the box then. If he ever feels the need to venture that far up the pitch again.

For a little guy he wins a lot in the air I also think he takes a huge amount of pressure off Vardy freeing him up to find the space he needs. Vardy was almost anonymous until Shinji came on.

Archived