Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Decent restaurants in and around town?

12 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Never been here but always liked the look of it. 

Any good? 

9 hours ago, Stadt said:

Shared the large platter which was nice but can’t judge the more standard dishes from that tbh. Pizzas looked nice 

The big sharing platters (hams, cheese and olives) are good fun with a wine taster…. I had a mix of three reds which were all pretty good 👍🏼 

Fill up with a garlic bread if that does not suffice (they’re big platters though)…. Quite a fun dining experience…. 

I’m off to Oggi tonight…. Really enjoyed it last time I went

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

The big sharing platters (hams, cheese and olives) are good fun with a wine taster…. I had a mix of three reds which were all pretty good 👍🏼 

Fill up with a garlic bread if that does not suffice (they’re big platters though)…. Quite a fun dining experience…. 

I’m off to Oggi tonight…. Really enjoyed it last time I went

Is Veeno the sort of the place you have to book? 

Restaurant263 was absolutely excellent this evening. 

I can't believe it wasn't full to the brim. 

No doubt it will be another top restaurant we lose through lack of appetite for that type of thing. 

Fine dining in a laid back atmosphere. 

Loved every dish on the 8 course and great value for 3 hours of enjoyment 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

No doubt it will be another top restaurant we lose through lack of appetite for that type of thing. 

Went there a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it. Great service, chef explained the dishes really well and the food was excellent. It was three quarters full when we were there. Hope that is enough to keep them going. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lako42 said:

I really enjoyed it…. Service was comedy level bad though (had to ask for water 4 times and they had no idea what they were serving us in the wine tasting course)…. Food was superb….  I’d go back, but my wife was put off…

34 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

I really enjoyed it…. Service was comedy level bad though (had to ask for water 4 times and they had no idea what they were serving us in the wine tasting course)…. Food was superb….  I’d go back, but my wife was put off…

Seems like it's improved tbh as our service was really good. Left waiting for nothing tbh. 

The info on the wine was probably a bit light though 

Food was fantastic 

Edited by Lako42
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Lako42 said:

9 hours ago, Wolfox said:

I'm into fine dining and had never heard of this place until reading this thread. 

As I happened to be in town today thought I'd pass by with the family. 

The place could do with a lick of paint on the brick work . The black tiles below the windows were dirty.  Everywhere outside could do with a little wipe down.

I just struggle to see how restaurants can't get the little things right that would take very little time and money to to fix . But could make a massive difference for people passing to decide to go and book .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, los dedos said:

I'm into fine dining and had never heard of this place until reading this thread. 

As I happened to be in town today thought I'd pass by with the family. 

The place could do with a lick of paint on the brick work . The black tiles below the windows were dirty.  Everywhere outside could do with a little wipe down.

I just struggle to see how restaurants can't get the little things right that would take very little time and money to to fix . But could make a massive difference for people passing to decide to go and book .

Inside it’s not a lot better…. They’ve not varnished the tables properly and they feel a bit sticky…. Yep, not easy on the eye

however, it’s not the be all and the end all for me…. One of the finest meals I’ve ever had was on a Formica table on a remote ‘N’ road in France…

2 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Inside it’s not a lot better…. They’ve not varnished the tables properly and they feel a bit sticky…. Yep, not easy on the eye

however, it’s not the be all and the end all for me…. One of the finest meals I’ve ever had was on a Formica table on a remote ‘N’ road in France…

Oh no I completely agree, I've eaten at some amazing places, especially abroad that were very rough around the edges but did amazing food .

But you need to be very good for people to see past it !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, los dedos said:

Oh no I completely agree, I've eaten at some amazing places, especially abroad that were very rough around the edges but did amazing food .

But you need to be very good for people to see past it !

Part of the challenge…. There are so many chains out there…. In France, you get McDonalds here and there, but restaurants are, in the main, independent….  There trade depends on being good…

in Leicester city centre 70% are chains…. Some are good, some  less so

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wolfox said:

It's better than it was as they use white linen on the tables now so no table top

• Like 1

On 17/06/2024 at 12:44, RonnieTodger said:

The Bayleaf in Wigston opened this weekend.

Little more pricey than Saabs Grill, but the food was fantastic. 

Is that in the same place as Saabs?

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Anyone been to the Vietnamese place on Church Gate? 

Yes, went after the England Denmark game. It’s okay, the food was nice but maybe a bit pricey and it’s hardly a great experience inside. But that could just be my inexperienced interpretation, regarding Vietnamese food.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Maurizio's was shut last night when we walked up. Hope it was just a case of them being away and forgetting to put a sign on the place.

Closed for a few weeks for summer break 

• Thanks 1