Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnaldo

Total War: Attila

I'm not sure how many posters on here are fans of the series, but I for one am really looking forward to this, pre-ordered yesterday for the release on the 17th February.

After the catastrophe that was the Rome II launch, most of been put off pre-ordering or even buying new games outright. But to me it looks like it could be amazing. Yes you could argue it's a new version of Barbarian Invasion, but it looks like a Barbarian Invasion on steroids. My school of thinking is that it's really almost a 'make-up' for all the features that were expected in Rome 2, as Family Trees make a return, Governors have been implemented, Decimation implemented, Integrity, similar to the Honor system from Shogun II added, completely destroying settlements in a 'scorched earth'-esque policy added and the new migration added.

If you want game play then it's been handed out to about half a dozen Youtubers to play through, here's one example from the Official YouTube channel:

Looks promising to me, using the same engine as Rome II I can't see it being anywhere as near as buggy from launch. Can't wait. 

I loved Rome Total War so much back in the day (must be 10 years ago now!) that every TW I've played since doesn't feel as good to me. Maybe it's time I tried again with this.

If there's a game to go back to the series its probably this, looks like they're really trying to bring it back after a lot were disappointed in Rome II. A lot of added features and a lot more diversity in town/city styles.

The format is stale and is a lot of cases a terrible mess on launch. Hopefully this is like Napoleon and be a far more polished version of Rome 2.

Unfortunately I cannot bare handing over any more money for a series which in my opinion is in decline.

I quite like a Rome 2, I play Med 2 for the lack of loading times than for the gameplay tbh.

Got to be honest, having gotten bored of the battles in TW series (spears hold line, cavalry round the back, win, repeat) I get more out of Europa Universalis these days. Play that for a week then try and go back to a TW game and the diplomacy suddenly seems catastrophically bad.

That's what I mean when I say TW needs a fantastic overhaul and it's why China would have been a better setting than Rome 2.

Put more work in to diplomacy and empire management, trade, etc. There's more to building an empire than levelling up farms and barracks and recruiting infantry.

I quite like a Rome 2, I play Med 2 for the lack of loading times than for the gameplay tbh.

Got to be honest, having gotten bored of the battles in TW series (spears hold line, cavalry round the back, win, repeat) I get more out of Europa Universalis these days. Play that for a week then try and go back to a TW game and the diplomacy suddenly seems catastrophically bad.

That's what I mean when I say TW needs a fantastic overhaul and it's why China would have been a better setting than Rome 2.

Put more work in to diplomacy and empire management, trade, etc. There's more to building an empire than levelling up farms and barracks and recruiting infantry.

How do you get on with Europa? I've got the game but the whole thing just overwhelms me and I just feel clueless on what to do. 

Take your time to learn Europa and it's very rewarding. I tried to sell it to a friend of mine who had the same problems as you and I think he wanted a quick fix.

Problem is, there isn't one. I read a few guides, read the wiki and actually spent a fair few times reloading and restarting before I got to grips with it all. You have to be willing to learn.

Best advice I can give a new starter is to do the opposite to, say, football manager. It's instinctive to want to start as someone small and build yourself up.

In EU you want to do the opposite unless you're a veteran. Pick France, England, Austria, Spain, Russia or Burgundy.

Loved the series and own every one so far.

Im at the point in my life where everything is telling me to let go of gaming..... i have a busy job... a 2 year old boy who deserves my attention and a 2nd about to be born,,,

but...... its the total war series!! Ever since the movement of a Geisha on the map had me scared for my Daimyo i've been hooked...

Archived