Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Haydos

Cities: Skylines

Video embargo has just been lifted so you should see some more reviews come out on top of the ones I've linked.

Looks very promising plus the potential mod support will enable a lot of additions and increase max city size from 36km square to 100km square and it's priced at around £20. Should be good.

Been following this one for a while. Looks pretty good. After the flop of Sim City - which I actually think is ok, but it is massively hampered by the tiny city size, I've been looking for a good city builder.

Cities XL (recently upgraded at Cities XXL) doesn't do it for me, so everything rests on Skylines being good.

Will defo be getting this!

• 2 weeks later...

The last game required a ridiculous pc to run, and had horrendous memory leak problems. If they've sorted those two problems out I may take a look.

What last game? This is the first city building game these devs have made...

Be interesting to see how it develops after 20+ hrs of gametime. Hopefully the simulation won't break like sim city.

This guy has some gameplay after 25+ hours I think he says...

http://www.twitch.tv/escapistmagazine/v/3857886

The last game required a ridiculous pc to run, and had horrendous memory leak problems. If they've sorted those two problems out I may take a look.

I think it was Cities XL from a different developer which had the memory leak. The guys behind Skylines previously worked on Cities In Motion which is primarily a transport manager rather than a City Builder.

I think it was Cities XL from a different developer which had the memory leak. The guys behind Skylines previously worked on Cities In Motion which is primarily a transport manager rather than a City Builder.

Ah I see, I thought this was made by the same people who made Cities XL. Not sure how they've got away with calling it the same thing? lol

Cities in motion was an ok game, imo Transport Tycoon Deluxe is still the best transport manager game, dated, but it's available completely for free now with some great mods. Deffo worth going back to.

http://www.openttd.org/en/

I'd love o see a proper sequel to that game

Can you get this for Mac ?

Seems so....

What are the Mac System Requirements?

Minimum:

• Processor: 2 GHz Dual core 
    • Memory: 3 GB RAM 
    • Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce 8800, 512 MB RAM or ATI Radeon HD 3850, 512 MB RAM 
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection 
    • Hard Drive: 2 GB available space

Recommended:

• Processor: 3 GHz Quad core 
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM 
    • Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce GTX460, 1 GB RAM or AMD Radeon HD 6850, 1 GB RAM 
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection 
    • Hard Drive: 2 GB available space

Bit more coverage of some bigger city size later in this stream...

http://www.twitch.tv/quill18/v/3865566

And a few pics of a bit more aesthetic city...

http://imgur.com/a/KMKGN

http://imgur.com/a/F9mPI

Also looks like there'll be a day one mod for unlocking 25 tiles so there'll be a total usable area of 100km² per city. Devs have only confirmed stability up to 9 titles though (36km²).

Edited by Haydos

Have now ordered this, based on what I have seen so far. Looks like the game Sim City should have been. The road making tools look great. Love the fact you can name individual districts and set different policies for them.

It should unlock tomorrow evening!

Have now ordered this, based on what I have seen so far. Looks like the game Sim City should have been. The road making tools look great. Love the fact you can name individual districts and set different policies for them.

It should unlock tomorrow evening!

Yeah, it's going to get rinsed tomorrow evening  and well into the early hours.

Considered this, had a look but watching the videos it just sounds too creative for me lol

Do you just build the city or do people actually 'live' in it and go about their daily lives etc ?

Have you never played any of the old SimCity's? 

You build the city and its services etc, in this game each individual person is their own 'agent', they all have their own places of work and homes and they travel around and use things in the city. You create areas for residential, industry and commerce as well as all the decorative shit and roads etc and you earn money from taxes, public transport etc and try and grow the city. The main challenge in this one seems to be managing traffic and land value/happiness effectively.

Have you never played any of the old SimCity's? 

You build the city and its services etc, in this game each individual person is their own 'agent', they all have their own places of work and homes and they travel around and use things in the city. You create areas for residential, industry and commerce as well as all the decorative shit and roads etc and you earn money from taxes, public transport etc and try and grow the city. The main challenge in this one seems to be managing traffic and land value/happiness effectively.

So if you don't build enough houses does your city just not grow or does the population continue to grow but with nowhere to live so homelessness and crime builds up?

I've not played SimCity no

So if you don't build enough houses does your city just not grow or does the population continue to grow but with nowhere to live so homelessness and crime builds up?

I've not played SimCity no

It just won't grow. It will indicate demand for each type of 'zoning' which is based on land value, jobs available etc. If you have no healthcare or education coverage for example your demand for residential zones will be low. There has to be jobs available or people won't want to move there or they'll move out and abandon buildings. Another example is having too much commercial zoning without having the industry or transport links to the 'outside world' to provide goods for them.