Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Haydos

Cities: Skylines

Had a bit of a play on this last night, although not for as long as I wanted. Very pleased with it so far. If you're a fan of the genre, then this is the best City Builder in at least 10 years.

It takes everything that was good about Sim City 4 and improves on it and makes none of the catastrophic mistakes EA made with Sim City 2013 such as charging £60 for a game which you could only play online, with a very small city size and then charging more and more for DLC.

This game is primarily (perhaps entirely?) a single player game and it has mod support so expect to see a raft of extras very soon.

And you can have left hand drive roads which might sound like a small detail, but I've never seen it in a city builder before.

If you like this type of game, there is very little to get upset about here. And it was only £22!

Bought it last night at about 8pm, was going to have a 'quick' go to see how it worked....... i think i finally switched it off at 2am...... reluctantly

Had no issues with it beyond being me being a bit crap at city planning and having loads of people move out because I had to put taxes up to 20% to cover my insane road building exploits.

Also apparently my populous don't like being surrounded by dead bodies... who knew!

Someone already modded a first person mode!

Played this until 2am last night. Used the "paint district" tool to plan out my town before I started which worked much better. But still had to build a new relief road through my perfectly sculpted park!

This game is brilliant, and will keep getting better.

And Igfualol - the game runs really well, even on my "not very special" laptop - on the highest graphics!

Is it quicker starting than that Banished? I enjoyed it but it was too slow to be lasting.

Yes, much quicker than Banished. Possibly too quick at times when there is a lot going on, but you can always pause it while you build new power stations, roads etc..

Already sunk close to 20 hours into this. I'll post some screenies later.

So much fun, from getting creative with your neighbourhoods, to coming up with new intersections to solve your traffic problem because you stuck everything right next to the motorway when you started your town. City growth feels very organic and you can expand at your own pace. There's so much space to play with that I have no idea what Maxis were doing when they made SC13.

There is a lack of diversity of buildings and cars but the 13 man team that created this obviously put their resources into programming and not the art although as they have created such a good modding platform this is already being remedied with a variety of new house designs and such on steam workshop as well as fantastic things like the 25 tile expansion and the first person camera.

At £22 or whatever this is priced at it's a steal, best game I've played in ages.

Are the default maps set, or do they randomise each time you start a new game?

^ What stripey said. There's loads on the workshop already. You can also import real topography, some dude made a program that makes a real heightmap the correct size, I've got one for Sheffield that I need to try at some point.

^ What stripey said. There's loads on the workshop already. You can also import real topography, some dude made a program that makes a real heightmap the correct size, I've got one for Sheffield that I need to try at some point.

Yeah I did see something like that that lets you export heightmaps that you can import into the map editor in game >> http://terrain.party/

I'll have to give it a try later

Been playing it over the weekend and it is a dream to play. Got a small, bustling town building up and it seems alive with cars, lorries and buses moving around the streets as you'd expect. Not even touched the modded stuff yet but there is tonnes of it to choose from.

The more I play it, the harder it is to understand what the hell they were playing at with Sim City 2013.

• 2 weeks later...

Some pictures from my ~150k pop city. Can't believe I've logged 60 odd hours on this already.

qrufD06.jpg

riLAKXk.jpg

pWjizRx.jpg

3CIzNCk.jpg

Gj4IatG.jpg

s5pBH2p.jpg

Still having a lot of fun, trying to actually make it look nice now rather than just gridding up everywhere. Playing on a 95% flat map so looking forward to getting started on one of the custom ones that'll make it a bit more interesting. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is a bit weird but for weeks I've been thinking about designing a city, and having a sports centre on the outskirts with football, cricket, rugby stadiums all right next to each other and using tube links from the city.  Now I spot this I could actually give it a go.

I have no idea why I have started to think about it.

This is a bit weird but for weeks I've been thinking about designing a city, and having a sports centre on the outskirts with football, cricket, rugby stadiums all right next to each other and using tube links from the city. Now I spot this I could actually give it a go.

Subliminal advertising, it's the only explanation

This is a bit weird but for weeks I've been thinking about designing a city, and having a sports centre on the outskirts with football, cricket, rugby stadiums all right next to each other and using tube links from the city. Now I spot this I could actually give it a go.

That'd be absolute traffic chaos. The police would hate you.