Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Best and worst UK broadband providers revealed

It's showing the nearest exchange. Leicester central is the nearest to that postcode.

Mines le3 and Glenfield is classed as my nearest

Aye but I want to know which provider does the exchange belongs to.

I'd go with that.

It's expensive, granted, but you get what you pay for.

We get roughly 45mb downloads now we've upgraded to infinity.

I can download 1 gb though on ps4 in under 10 minutes on a good day.

I've just downloaded a 5gb game on ps4 in 5 minutes and was getting frustrated that it was slow lol

I guess you get used to the speed after a week or so and anything slower you wonder how you used to cope!

just tested mine

4220385291.png

Here's mine using the same test as you, gives a slightly different result than BT's own speed test

4220398886.png

4222424641.png

For about 25 quid a month from a country the same size and population as the UK. We really should be working on catching up.

You buggers are just taking the pi55 now

I've just downloaded a 5gb game on ps4 in 5 minutes and was getting frustrated that it was slow lol

I guess you get used to the speed after a week or so and anything slower you wonder how you used to cope!

Im currently dloading a 14 gig file, left it  running last night, got up this morning woohoo 13% done  :thumbup:

I have the fastest Virgin Media package and it's incredibly reliable. I literally cannot remember the time I had an outage. That's taught me to be wary of reviews because many people say Virgin is crap but my experience is anything but.

It's a shame no other broadband provider can touch Virgin, they have a dominance in the superfast broadband market. Forget BT and their "infinity" BS because their fastest speed is still about 30% of what Virgin's fastest speed is.

It's a shame no other broadband provider can touch Virgin, they have a dominance in the superfast broadband market. Forget BT and their "infinity" BS because their fastest speed is still about 30% of what Virgin's fastest speed is.

Well that depends on where you live.......

4222424641.png

For about 25 quid a month from a country the same size and population as the UK. We really should be working on catching up.

Upload speed 94.96!

I never seem to get great upload speeds with Virgin, my download speeds are about 90 but I get about 8 in upload

Upload speed 94.96!

I never seem to get great upload speeds with Virgin, my download speeds are about 90 but I get about 8 in upload

There is a technical reason for that, I won't bore you with the details but the bandwith is designed to only give you a small percentage of upload in comparison. I'm not sure if the same applies to adsl lines.

Upload speed 94.96!

Fibre optic broadband is God here, everyone has it, and even if you're not directly wired there's wireless networks and mobile coverage everywhere. I'm not sure how that ties into with increased upload speed, but I know that the money paid to establish infrastructure about 10 years back now has paid off.

That being said, they do occasionally throttle bandwith for accessing sites outside of Korea.

There is a technical reason for that, I won't bore you with the details but the bandwith is designed to only give you a small percentage of upload in comparison. I'm not sure if the same applies to adsl lines.

Then the system here must be rigged differently as I always get pretty similar u/l and d/l speeds when I run this test. It would be interesting to know why.

How did we cope with this before broadband?

That noise is a blast from the past. I also remember my mum talking over it when she went to ring my Grandma! "Hello!" she use to say to the tones, coming through on my PC MONO speakers. A reset of the connection was required.... or at worst an hour wait for them to stop talking about the weather.... You young-ens don't know how good you have it! (and i'm still relatively young, girls!)

That noise is a blast from the past. I also remember my mum talking over it when she went to ring my Grandma! "Hello!" she use to say to the tones, coming through on my PC MONO speakers. A reset of the connection was required.... or at worst an hour wait for them to stop talking about the weather.... You young-ens don't know how good you have it! (and i'm still relatively young, girls!)

Dial up modem, Windows 95, 100 MB RAM being the dogs danglies in memory, unable to use the phone when you were online, taking ages to download a couple of MB file. Ah, those were the days.

Archived