Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Was hoping Vikings would go through purely for entertainment as majority of their games are high scoring. Shame they're out. 

Giants are more fun imo 

I wanted us to play Minnesota in the next game though as I think they are over rated and everyone in my office supports them so watching super Brock destroy they would have been fun. 

• Like 2

Ravens absolutely bottled that game there. On the one yard line and ball was punched out and returned for a TD. 14 point swing right there which effectively lost them the game. Reckon if Lamar was available Ravens could have made a very strong superbowl run.

32 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Giants are more fun imo 

I wanted us to play Minnesota in the next game though as I think they are over rated and everyone in my office supports them so watching super Brock destroy they would have been fun. 

Fair! 

Giants did impress yesterday. Is Jones usually that good at his running game? Or was that just standard leaky Vikings defence... 

1 hour ago, Lcfc098 said:

Ravens absolutely bottled that game there. On the one yard line and ball was punched out and returned for a TD. 14 point swing right there which effectively lost them the game. Reckon if Lamar was available Ravens could have made a very strong superbowl run.

Jackson didn't travel either which is really really weird. Unthinkable before but I can't see him being on the Ravens next year now, I think he will get tagged and traded.

3 minutes ago, mancunianfox said:

Jackson didn't travel either which is really really weird. Unthinkable before but I can't see him being on the Ravens next year now, I think he will get tagged and traded.

I think he'll resign with Ravens tbh. Ravens should have tied him down to a new contract before this season. Understandable he doesn't want to play now and risk injury and the hundreds of millions he could lose. Just think ravens have set up their whole team and system to suit Lamar so would make no sense now letting him go.

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

Fair! 

Giants did impress yesterday. Is Jones usually that good at his running game? Or was that just standard leaky Vikings defence... 

He usually runs for around 40 a game, but the Vikings D didn’t know what to do in the first half.

23 hours ago, lildave3 said:

My rage when anyone punts from the 40 yard line is bad enough, but when it’s Chargers, and a game like that, in the playoffs…sheesh. 

Last summer, Brandon Staley was quoted thus:  “The history of this team when I got here, it was like, someone’s going to get hurt, they’re going to blow a lead, something catastrophic is going to happen.” “There’s this Chargering, and there’s all these external factors, they’re just all excuses.”

So “Spursy” has an American version ... “Chargering”.

And like Spurs, they keep hiring new coaches, and keep right on Chargering anyway.

2 hours ago, Lcfc098 said:

I think he'll resign with Ravens tbh. Ravens should have tied him down to a new contract before this season. Understandable he doesn't want to play now and risk injury and the hundreds of millions he could lose. Just think ravens have set up their whole team and system to suit Lamar so would make no sense now letting him go.

It'll be interesting though. Lamar is amazing but does he have twenty games a season in him? They didn't pay him last year and there are probably more question marks now than twelve months ago so maybe not impossible. It's weird because nothing really leaked about the negotiations last year so nobody truely knows what is going on.

11 hours ago, mancunianfox said:

It'll be interesting though. Lamar is amazing but does he have twenty games a season in him? They didn't pay him last year and there are probably more question marks now than twelve months ago so maybe not impossible. It's weird because nothing really leaked about the negotiations last year so nobody truely knows what is going on.

I think QBs in the modern game are becoming a bit more like running backs. Much more valuable—while they last—but inevitably disposable because they are, sometimes, running backs, and other times are taking naked hits standing up in the pocket.  So they will get 40 or 50 mill a year after they finish their rookie deals.  But not for long, fully guaranteed contracts.

(except if they play for the Cleveland Browns)

8 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Finally. At the eighth attempt we beat Brady.

Will need to improve again to beat the 49ers. And our kicker has suddenly got the yips.

Bring it on!!!

Looking forward to Sunday (well... Monday night after I've avoided the result all day) - can't beat a bit of Cowboys/Niners in the Playoffs! 

Dwight-clark GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by Golden Fox

1 hour ago, Golden Fox said:

Bring it on!!!

Looking forward to Sunday (well... Monday night after I've avoided the result all day) - can't beat a bit of Cowboys/Niners in the Playoffs! 

Dwight-clark GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

You deserve a ban for posting that gif 😄

Seriously though I think you'll win fairly comfortably. 49ers are the form team of the NFL. They're well coached and have no real weaknesses. Home-field advantage and 2 days extra rest and preparation too. 49ers to win by a couple of scores unfortunately.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Seriously though I think you'll win fairly comfortably. 49ers are the form team of the NFL. They're well coached and have no real weaknesses. Home-field advantage and 2 days extra rest and preparation too. 49ers to win by a couple of scores unfortunately.

I still refuse to believe Purdy can take them to a Championship Game. But then he hasn't given any indication he can't. Incredible story.

54 minutes ago, bovril said:

I still refuse to believe Purdy can take them to a Championship Game. But then he hasn't given any indication he can't. Incredible story.

He shocked a bit of chink in his armour against us, we just weren't good enough defensively to take advantage.

53 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Its actually difficult to benchmark the Niners too much, as when you look at their 11 game run, they came of the back of a complete schooling by Kansas City & the only playoff teams they've beaten during the run are the Chargers, Dolphins & Bucs at home as well as the Seahawks a couple of times - none of whom looked great and have all been dumped out in the first round! They haven't had to play anyone else left. They've got very nice stats (average margin of 17 points during the run), but it just hasn't been against quality teams. I really think Purdy has got something, but I love this anonymous quote "Purdy has done well, but it is amazing how people are trying to anoint him. I don’t want to take anything away, but he has led the NFL in wide-open receivers. And time to throw. These guys are wide open. When they are not, George Kittle catches the ball on third down and wills his way to a first down. It is the absolute perfect setting and every quarterback would dream to be in it. Give the kid credit, but let’s not anoint him."

However, I think the biggest factor is that the Niners are hungry and rested. They won't feel satisfied unless they go all the way this year. Much of the team were there when they looked to have Superbowl LIV in the bag against KC before falling away, and even more last year, when they were in "win now or else" mode to turn around a 3-5 start to get into the playoffs & then they had to win away at LA, Dallas and GB (3 division winners) in consecutive weeks and then a 4th with LA again, but injuries and fatigue caught up with them against the Rams just short of the Superbowl. Those defeats need avenging & only a Lombardi trophy will do. This year, they have only had 8 road games so far - which have included the travel friendly AFC West & they have been far healthier (apart from QB1 & QB2...) so I do think they will get through the NFC. Even if Dallas has a defeat of their own last year to avenge which will provide plenty of motivation and set it up nicely.

On 02/01/2023 at 16:32, Golden Fox said:

since the first couple of weeks, there is little to separate so many teams who are average. Eagles, Niners, Cowboys, Bills, Chiefs and Bengals seem a cut above.

Playoffs proper start now!!! Down to the last 6 teams and we've got rid of those making up the numbers, so its proper heavyweight contests from here on!!!