Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Question for my north american friends. Is there much backlash to the owners lifting the trophy or is it just from us across the pond?

Maybe it should be the winning QB?

Traditionally they lift the trophy so wont be any backlash.  I think other sports like the NBA are presented to the owners first.  I suppose without the owners there would be no team.  

I know there are fans in the US who dont like the owners getting presented the trophy....but that's the way it is.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Traditionally they lift the trophy so wont be any backlash.  I think other sports like the NBA are presented to the owners first.  I suppose without the owners there would be no team.  

I know there are fans in the US who dont like the owners getting presented the trophy....but that's the way it is.

Yup, we're just used to it. MLB and NBA are the same way. Stanley Cup gets presented to the team captain, but then again, most owners aren't lacing up skates for a trophy presentation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Question for my north american friends. Is there much backlash to the owners lifting the trophy or is it just from us across the pond?

Maybe it should be the winning QB?

It is weird but the difference is that technically the league is owned by the team owners which is very different to our sports and they are more heavily involved in running the league than in Europe. They would need to be the ones to vote on changing the rules on the presentation and they probably won't anytime soon. Other than the obvious money they can make, the prestige of being the winning owner and lifting the trophy is a big part of why the teams are valued so high. Generally, nobody cares who the owners of Walmart are but they'll happily pay $4.5 billion to get their moment lifting the superbowl trophy on international TV because it is the ultimate flex for rich americans.

Just caught up watching it... What a game! (Apart from the ITV coverage, the fans doing the Tomahawk Chop, some dodgy calls and a bit of a flat ending compared to what had gone before).

Pleased for the Chiefs who have been elite for 5 years now and have deserved more than 1 Superbowl over that period - compared to the Eagles who have been very good this season but may still prove to be a bit of a flash in the pan. (And as a 49ers fan, I still feel robbed of a chance to have been there, but I was scared of KC's offence and what they did to the Niners in 2019 and in week 7, so makes me feel a bit better that I think the Chiefs just have that extra gear to everyone else).

As good as some of the top players were, what really impressed me was the lack of mistakes - no interceptions (only a couple of risky attempts), just 1 fumble, just 2 sacks given up by the offences, and very good clock management at the end of the game (to a bit of detriment to the entertainment). 2 very well coached teams, and they really did set the standard for the rest of the league.

Time for a rest now before we go through it all again next year (Go Niners!!!) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Draft night!

Glad it's finally here - the build up with mocks is so overdone. 

More importantly though, the Ravens got Lamar signed for 5 more years so I'm buzzing after all the drama there's been on that front! :scarf:

Hurts was the best paid player for all of about 4 days. Wouldn't surprise me to see Burrow get a very similar amount soon too.

13 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Draft night!

Glad it's finally here - the build up with mocks is so overdone. 

More importantly though, the Ravens got Lamar signed for 5 more years so I'm buzzing after all the drama there's been on that front! :scarf:

Hurts was the best paid player for all of about 4 days. Wouldn't surprise me to see Burrow get a very similar amount soon too.

I didn't watch any college football last year so don't know any of the players. I only watched a bit of it last night to laugh at the hideous suits they wear.

• 2 weeks later...

NFL schedule released yesterday. 

I'm pretty pissed that the Titans will be wearings Oilers throwbacks during the season. My first NFL love, and they ripped it away and chucked the branding in the bin. Now they pretend it is their history to honour. :mad:

But their release of schedule video is well worth a watch! 

https://twitter.com/Titans/status/1656827454118412289/mediaviewer

• Like 1