Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

2 hours ago, CheeseHead said:

Another dismal defeat for the Packers. I can see them finishing bottom of the NFC North, and that's in a division that includes the Vikings and Bears!

Not looking particularly good in any aspect of the game. Going to be a long rebuild, I would guess.

3 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Not looking particularly good in any aspect of the game. Going to be a long rebuild, I would guess.

Lions have been threatening for a while, looks like their path to the NFC North title is pretty clear of any challengers

In the last year I’ve been properly starting to get into the NFL after years of just dipping in an out of it. 

Hopefully I can contribute somewhat, and am looking to keep on learning more about the game too, may be asking stupid questions from time to time! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Think there’s been several, mainly kickers. Ryan Succop with the Chiefs was one. Doubt there’s been a quarterback that’s done it.

Yeah sorry, I did mean to specify QB particularly

8 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

Yeah sorry, I did mean to specify QB particularly

Purdy would be the first QB to do it. Although it's worth noting that Kurt Warner won a Superbowl as an undrafted free agent QB (and was Superbowl MVP as well). I don't think you can get more 'irrelevant' than being undrafted.

One thing to note is that Mr Irrelevant isn't quite as irrelevant as he used to be. Back in 1976 the NFL draft lasted for 17 rounds and 487 total picks. Purdy, while being the Mr Irrelevant in his draft class, was only pick number 262. Larry Brown was Superbowl XXX MVP for the Cowboys and was a 12th round draft pick (320th overall) in the 1991 draft.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Why was that 'fumble' by 49ers on the Browns QB not given? What do they mean as 'grounding' for the penalty? 

They ruled it was an attempted pass. To decide if it’s an attempted pass they try to work if the ball comes out when the arm is going forward. It probably just about was.

You also have to throw it forward in a place where realistically a receiver can get it, otherwise it’s ruled as intentional grounding. Edit - should add the caveat it’s if the QB is out of the pocket and under pressure.

Edited by when_you're_smiling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

I f**king hate the Browns. Awful to look at all that brown turd colour in the unis and crowd, awful weather, awful injuries, awful penalties, awful game, awful result. Awful f**king QB (I'm still calling it even if he didn't get on the field.) F**king Browns.

(No offence @KingsX)

the most abominable thing I’ve seen in sports in my lifetime is Haslam putting them out in all white with WHITE ****ING HELMETS. That’s 10x worse than Allam changing the name or colors at Hull City or whatever. It’s a total crime against nature.

I couldn’t figure out why, then I realized … he’s been turning this once-proud club out as a Christians v the lions spectacle since the other owners engineered his takeover. Didn’t the Christians enter the arena all in white?

Today the Christians improbably got one back, because when Deebo & Mccaffery went out, the coach turned into a pumpkin and Cinderella turned back into Mr Irrelevant. Purdy was vomit today. Don’t blame that on the Browns.

But don’t confuse me with a Browns fan. I lived for the Browns in the 80s, but ditched my ST when Modell moved the club to Baltimore. The “new” Browns are a stain on the city and on football.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, KingsX said:

the most abominable thing I’ve seen in sports in my lifetime is Haslam putting them out in all white with WHITE ****ING HELMETS. That’s 10x worse than Allam changing the name or colors at Hull City or whatever. It’s a total crime against nature.

I couldn’t figure out why, then I realized … he’s been turning this once-proud club out as a Christians v the lions spectacle since the other owners engineered his takeover. Didn’t the Christians enter the arena all in white?

Today the Christians improbably got one back, because when Deebo & Mccaffery went out, the coach turned into a pumpkin and Cinderella turned back into Mr Irrelevant. Purdy was vomit today. Don’t blame that on the Browns.

But don’t confuse me with a Browns fan. I lived for the Browns in the 80s, but ditched my ST when Modell moved the club to Baltimore. The “new” Browns are a stain on the city and on football.

It's their throwback uniform from their old AAFC days in the 1940s. I like all the throwback uniforms. Even the Bucs brought out their old creamsicle uniforms yesterday - which are admittedly hideous - but I still like them from a purely nostalgic viewpoint.

On 13/10/2023 at 21:56, ajthefox said:

Pretty cool little vid. Gutted I'm not down there to see the Ravens this weekend.

Took my lad as he lives in London, great day out, in the gods but still a decent view, some stadium, didn't appreciate it as much when we were scrapping each other in the away end on the end of a 6-2:appl:

Great weather if chilly, couple of great runs during the game, very enjoyable.

Edited by The boy Linacre
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, The boy Linacre said:

Took my lad as he lives in London, great day out, in the gods but still a decent view, some stadium, didn't appreciate it as much when we were scrapping in each in the away end on the end of a 6-2:appl:

Great weather if chilly, couple of great runs during the game, very enjoyable.

Yeah it's a great stadium. It's a bit steep climbing those stairs up to the top bit you get a great view. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

It's their throwback uniform from their old AAFC days in the 1940s. I like all the throwback uniforms. Even the Bucs brought out their old creamsicle uniforms yesterday - which are admittedly hideous - but I still like them from a purely nostalgic viewpoint.

Its a fauxback than an actual throwback - it was more like leather headguards in the 40s. This was before helmet logos and when proper helmets were being developed: they had pretty much switched to orange by the time helmets as we know them came in. So the stripe down the middle of the helmet is made up rather than a true throwback. I'm of the view that if you are throwing back, do it properly. If a full white helmet would have looked (even more) awful, then either accept that was what the look was or don't do it. But don't invent something and then market it as though it is something from the past. I'm also of the view that you really need to have some memory of the look to throw back to it - a really old look that nobody remembers is fine for a one-off in an anniversary season, but not just because everyone else is doing throwbacks and you feel you need to.

That said, I am enjoying a lot of the throwbacks, but I wish there was a bit more consistency - such as having a 2 or 3 week period of the season when they were permitted. The Browns chose yesterday to wear them as the Browns & 49ers were both AAFC teams & the only 2 teams that survived when it got folded into the NFL, so it was the only opponent they played in the 40s - but that was wasted by the Niners wearing their modern unis rather than their throwbacks which made it look more jarring. (And while I'm at it, the Niners need to get a red helmet to go with those throwbacks as the gold/red/white isn't accurate and the look doesn't mesh).

I do think we might be getting to oversaturation though... in the last few weeks we've had the return of the Patriots old log, the Denver D (as an alternate) and the the Bucs, but it just feels scattergun. There is a reason these 3 logos aren't around any more, but rolling them out in this fashion shows it for the money grab it is rather than an aesthetic choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golden Fox said:

Its a fauxback than an actual throwback - it was more like leather headguards in the 40s. This was before helmet logos and when proper helmets were being developed: they had pretty much switched to orange by the time helmets as we know them came in. So the stripe down the middle of the helmet is made up rather than a true throwback. I'm of the view that if you are throwing back, do it properly. If a full white helmet would have looked (even more) awful, then either accept that was what the look was or don't do it. But don't invent something and then market it as though it is something from the past. I'm also of the view that you really need to have some memory of the look to throw back to it - a really old look that nobody remembers is fine for a one-off in an anniversary season, but not just because everyone else is doing throwbacks and you feel you need to.

That said, I am enjoying a lot of the throwbacks, but I wish there was a bit more consistency - such as having a 2 or 3 week period of the season when they were permitted. The Browns chose yesterday to wear them as the Browns & 49ers were both AAFC teams & the only 2 teams that survived when it got folded into the NFL, so it was the only opponent they played in the 40s - but that was wasted by the Niners wearing their modern unis rather than their throwbacks which made it look more jarring. (And while I'm at it, the Niners need to get a red helmet to go with those throwbacks as the gold/red/white isn't accurate and the look doesn't mesh).

I do think we might be getting to oversaturation though... in the last few weeks we've had the return of the Patriots old log, the Denver D (as an alternate) and the the Bucs, but it just feels scattergun. There is a reason these 3 logos aren't around any more, but rolling them out in this fashion shows it for the money grab it is rather than an aesthetic choice.

There's definitely an element of cash grab about it, but it's not like they are bringing out 3 new kits every year like our football clubs do.

By the way, in week 8 the Titans will be wearing Oilers throwbacks, and the Seahawks will be wearing their 90s throwbacks.

image.png.b28667d5355f222a5d980dfcba638565.png

image.png.569c1f24e591777cad49d3b5366655a6.png

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier

1 hour ago, Golden Fox said:

The Browns chose yesterday to wear them as the Browns & 49ers were both AAFC teams & the only 2 teams that survived when it got folded into the NFL

Three teams -- also the Colts.

2 hours ago, KingsX said:

Three teams -- also the Colts.

I stand half corrected! I hadn't realised the Colts also came across - but that team folded after 1 season in the NFL... and bears no relation to the team that took the name 4 years later, which is why I had in my head it was just the 2.

I love going down these rabbit holes and reading about old teams and histories. Although particularly in baseball - with the Athletics once being the big team in Philly, the Browns in St Louis and the Giants in New York, before being usurped and having to leave town. The New York upstart American League team was the highlanders, but Giants fans took the piss and called them the Yankees... that aged well! 

3 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

There's definitely an element of cash grab about it, but it's not like they are bringing out 3 new kits every year like our football clubs do.

By the way, in week 8 the Titans will be wearing Oilers throwbacks, and the Seahawks will be wearing their 90s throwbacks.

image.png.b28667d5355f222a5d980dfcba638565.png

image.png.569c1f24e591777cad49d3b5366655a6.png

Conflicted about the Oilers... As an impressionable teenager in the 90s watching on Channel 4, I was blown away by their logo, their unis, the playing style, and the Astrodome. My walls were adorned with pictures of Warren Moon cut out from calendars. I had my team for life! 

Until they were nicked by Nashville. It seems dishonest for them to "honour" the logo and unis they destroyed. :mad:

But it will be good to see them on the field again! 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

Until they were nicked by Nashville. It seems dishonest for them to "honour" the logo and unis they destroyed. :mad:

Yeah seems a bit insensitive now you mention it, especially as they are also planning to wear the Oilers throwbacks in their week 15 game against the Texans. It would be like the MK Dons turning up to play AFC Wimbledon in the Wimbledon '88 Cup winning kit.

• Thanks 1