Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

5 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

I fancied the 49ers this year, but another surprise loss last night

I imagine there'll be something of a pile-on on Purdy, which is unfair. But debatable whether he's good enough to guide a team to a championship. Chiefs know how to win it, they'll do it again I'm sure. 

17 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

Philly losing at the moment - if that stands (big "if" I know), it would really open up the NFC with everyone having at least 2 losses... 

Lifelong Eagles fan...7-1 is a nice feeling, but it's about to get ugly. Next 5 games: Dallas, at Kansas City, Buffalo, at San Francisco, at Dallas. Could be 11-2, could be 8-5 when it's all done. 

Either way, it's helping the city forget about the Phillies blowing it in the playoffs...

7 hours ago, NJFox said:

Lifelong Eagles fan...7-1 is a nice feeling, but it's about to get ugly. Next 5 games: Dallas, at Kansas City, Buffalo, at San Francisco, at Dallas. Could be 11-2, could be 8-5 when it's all done. 

Either way, it's helping the city forget about the Phillies blowing it in the playoffs...

The Eagles have the Niners at home, not at Levis. :(

Its been a game circled on the calendar since last year's NFC Championship game, but after being 5-0 and Superbowl favourites, my Niners are suddenly at 5-3 and wondering how to pull out of the spiral.

A bye week, then the Jags away is somehow looking a very scary proposition. They do have the Bucs at home before Philly, but there is some figuring out to do to avoid coming out of Philly 6-5 or worse. 

Nobody saw this coming 3 weeks ago and its not helping anyone's mood after the Giants awful year in the baseball... 

21 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

Heard that Stroud had broken the rookie record for single game passing yards? Not sure who held the record previously

Luck had it at 433. Stroud got 455 today.

Buzzing with the Ravens result, another dominant win over an NFC division leader. Huge rushing performance with a new name to add to our rotation after rookie Keaton Mitchell goes for 138 and a TD on 9 carries.

7 hours ago, CheeseHead said:

Heard that Stroud had broken the rookie record for single game passing yards? Not sure who held the record previously

Yep, and did so under pressure too. Something like 75 yards with only 40 seconds left on the clock when scores were 33-30 to Buccs. Kid was so calm and collected. 

21 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Problem with these international games is that one team always seems to play like they're jet-lagged. Not a fan of the international games personally. Preseason fine. Regular season, not for me.

Not sure Goodell is in agreement with you...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/67329100

Spain or Brazil next year.

NFL have now played at London & Frankfurt, so Barcelona next year will complete the set & give proof of concept for the return of London Monarchs, Frankfurt Galaxy & Barcelona Dragons. Its all laying the groundwork for a Europe division... Add a 4th team & you can start & end the season with 3 divisional games, minimize travel by stopover weeks (as Jags did this year) and you can do away with teams losing a home game to come over.

I do agree with your comments 100%, but from a selfish point of view, make this happen!!!

24 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

Not sure Goodell is in agreement with you...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/67329100

Spain or Brazil next year.

NFL have now played at London & Frankfurt, so Barcelona next year will complete the set & give proof of concept for the return of London Monarchs, Frankfurt Galaxy & Barcelona Dragons. Its all laying the groundwork for a Europe division... Add a 4th team & you can start & end the season with 3 divisional games, minimize travel by stopover weeks (as Jags did this year) and you can do away with teams losing a home game to come over.

I do agree with your comments 100%, but from a selfish point of view, make this happen!!!

I just don't see a European division as logistically feasible. It's still too much travel and upheaval for inter-divisional games. Canada, Mexico and possibly Brazil would make more sense if the NFL wants to expand internationally.

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I just don't see a European division as logistically feasible. It's still too much travel and upheaval for inter-divisional games. Canada, Mexico and possibly Brazil would make more sense if the NFL wants to expand internationally.

I'm of a similar mind with Europe...this will turn into an annual Europe trip for each team at an increasing number of sites, kind of how Thursday Night Football now lines up where each team can have a primetime game. These European games seem to cater towards a mix of American expats who just want NFL action, regardless of their own rooting interest, and pockets of die-hards for each team.

Brazil is even further by air than Europe from the United Status, and with various public health and safety concerns, I don't think a full-time presence is in the cards. Similar concerns in Mexico.

Canada has been tried on a part-time basis with Buffalo, and didn't stick (though the investment didn't seem to match what goes into these Europe games). For a fun read sometime, look into the CFL's failed USA expansion, which actually led to an American team winning the Grey Cup (RIP Baltimore Stallions).

• Like 1