Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

2 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

Not sure Goodell is in agreement with you...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/67329100

Spain or Brazil next year.

NFL have now played at London & Frankfurt, so Barcelona next year will complete the set & give proof of concept for the return of London Monarchs, Frankfurt Galaxy & Barcelona Dragons. Its all laying the groundwork for a Europe division... Add a 4th team & you can start & end the season with 3 divisional games, minimize travel by stopover weeks (as Jags did this year) and you can do away with teams losing a home game to come over.

I do agree with your comments 100%, but from a selfish point of view, make this happen!!!

Claymores please! First American football team I ever supported. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I just don't see a European division as logistically feasible. It's still too much travel and upheaval for inter-divisional games. Canada, Mexico and possibly Brazil would make more sense if the NFL wants to expand internationally.

30 minutes ago, NJFox said:

Canada has been tried on a part-time basis with Buffalo, and didn't stick (though the investment didn't seem to match what goes into these Europe games). For a fun read sometime, look into the CFL's failed USA expansion, which actually led to an American team winning the Grey Cup (RIP Baltimore Stallions).

What goes around, comes around... 2 of the CFL expansion teams came from the Sacramento Surge & San Antonio Riders of the same WLAF that the Monarchs started in!

I thought it was pure fantasy that it could happen, but the demand has proved so strong in both London & Germany even with games ramping up, the NFL script is very much "either path is in the realm of possibility between teams simply playing eight home games, eight road games, and one neutral-site game, or having one team headquartered overseas. (If that ever happens, there would be at least two.)" (paraphrasing slightly from https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfl-keeps-dangling-the-carrot-regarding-european-expansion ). I've heard this view before, and as the NFL front office doesn't do things by accident, I have to think they are seriously considering it.

Money talks - and as we have seen with the recent grass/turf debate, what may or may logistically feasible or good for the players (still sore from the Niners having a road Monday night game and then on a short week having to face a Bengals team refreshed after a bye) can be ignored if there is enough profit in it for the owners. The fact that the latest CBA agreed the expansion of the season to 17 games and teams having multiple international games in a year means the horse may have bolted on the player's ability to prevent this.

I got a bit tired of watching 2 teams I wasn't that interested in play each other, so haven't been to a game since the Niners were last over - but I'd be back to front row of the queue and chucking existing loyalties out the window if we had our own team here!

image.png.e8f85968c3e5bf11a83cc67e951fda06.png

4 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

What goes around, comes around... 2 of the CFL expansion teams came from the Sacramento Surge & San Antonio Riders of the same WLAF that the Monarchs started in!

I thought it was pure fantasy that it could happen, but the demand has proved so strong in both London & Germany even with games ramping up, the NFL script is very much "either path is in the realm of possibility between teams simply playing eight home games, eight road games, and one neutral-site game, or having one team headquartered overseas. (If that ever happens, there would be at least two.)" (paraphrasing slightly from https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfl-keeps-dangling-the-carrot-regarding-european-expansion ). I've heard this view before, and as the NFL front office doesn't do things by accident, I have to think they are seriously considering it.

Money talks - and as we have seen with the recent grass/turf debate, what may or may logistically feasible or good for the players (still sore from the Niners having a road Monday night game and then on a short week having to face a Bengals team refreshed after a bye) can be ignored if there is enough profit in it for the owners. The fact that the latest CBA agreed the expansion of the season to 17 games and teams having multiple international games in a year means the horse may have bolted on the player's ability to prevent this.

I got a bit tired of watching 2 teams I wasn't that interested in play each other, so haven't been to a game since the Niners were last over - but I'd be back to front row of the queue and chucking existing loyalties out the window if we had our own team here!

image.png.e8f85968c3e5bf11a83cc67e951fda06.png

They should just bring back NFL Europe as a development league for the NFL rather than trying to expand the NFL. I'm not going to stop supporting the Cowboys after 40 years in favour of an expansion British NFL team. I could however get behind the London Monarchs if NFL Europe was brought back. I can remember going to see them play the aforementioned Sacramento Surge at the old Wembley back in the 90s in an entertaining game that finished 31-26 to the Surge.

16 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

They should just bring back NFL Europe as a development league for the NFL rather than trying to expand the NFL. I'm not going to stop supporting the Cowboys after 40 years in favour of an expansion British NFL team. I could however get behind the London Monarchs if NFL Europe was brought back. I can remember going to see them play the aforementioned Sacramento Surge at the old Wembley back in the 90s in an entertaining game that finished 31-26 to the Surge.

I'd be all for that... but it can't happen now. The British public demand top level sport. We are spoilt with regularly being able to watch the best in the world at football, rugby, cricket, tennis, golf, motor racing, boxing etc. 

Now we have had the proper thing, few people would go for a substandard league (as was shown by NFL Europe). I also watched the Monarchs (v Rhien Fire) but at that level, its a niche sport, so wont be filling Wembley. The development leagues are run on a budgets - XFL and USFL merging and shared training/stadiums between teams - so it's not financially viable to ship them over here.

All a mess! Serves us right for following a sport from the other side of the world I suppose! 

On 06/11/2023 at 20:38, purpleronnie said:

I love the NFL but i think hosting teams outside of the USA is ridiculous and totally unfair on the fans.  Imagine if Leicester had just 9 home games and one or two were played half way round the world.

and we need to resist American cultural hegemony in any small way we can

14 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Daron Bland gets his 4th pick-6 of the season. Must be an NFL record.

Tied according to Scott Hansen on Redzone but considering how many games there is left you'd fancy him to break it.

I geniunely can't believe that both the Broncos and Raiders are now ahead of the Chargers. LA probably have the best roster in the division but are in last place and I don't see how Staley keeps his job much longer. Really awful that they keep having these close losses and their defence is rubbish so don't get what he is bringing to the team. Playing 17 away games a season isn't his fault but they should at least be used to it when they are actually away.

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

A 77 year old Dolly Parton dressed as a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader is an image that will never leave me.

Yep... must confess to having googled how old she was as well... Can't say I've ever seen a 77 year old in an outfit like that before. But if that's your act, what else can you do? (Maybe sing some Queen songs?)