Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

5 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

Great evening - watched the Niners into the 4th quarter seeing off Washington in relative comfort, then switched to Redzone for some great finishes. 

And the Cardinals dump the Eagles to hand the NFC 1 seed to the 49ers!!!

Time for a bit of R&R for a couple of weeks until a home Playoff game! 

(and given the great list of 49er QBs, pretty incredible to see Purdy breaking the franchise record of passing yards in the regular season!) 

I love Purdy. 

He's the perfect LCFC qb

• Like 2

Just woke up to news of a massive win for the Pack at the Vikings. Next week, win and we're in! Couldn't envisage this position a few weeks ago

Edited by CheeseHead

2 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

People so keen to knock Purdy for some reason. The fact he will finish 2nd or 3rd in the MVP vote now being used as evidence against him. :dunno:

1 hour ago, Lako42 said:

Yea it's all a bit weird

Who said I was knocking Purdy? 

Simply stating a fact. As a Ravens fan it's pretty clear Jackson is MVP. They gave 49ers a spanking last time out and may well get a repeat fixture at the Superbowl.

Ravens still seem not to be getting the respect they deserve, if its a 49ers Ravens superbowl then I don't see 49ers being favourites.

8 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Simply stating a fact. As a Ravens fan it's pretty clear Jackson is MVP. They gave 49ers a spanking last time out and may well get a repeat fixture at the Superbowl.

Ravens still seem not to be getting the respect they deserve, if its a 49ers Ravens superbowl then I don't see 49ers being favourites.

Sorry - it does put your comment in a different light being more about Jackson than Purdy! But there are plenty of people out there knocking him: https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-cowboys-star-micah-parsons-fires-shots-brock-purdy-49ers-qb-s-disastrous-outing-vs-ravens

But MVP irrelevant - its all about the Superbowl or nothing for the Niners. They are 1 game away from their 4th NFC Championship game in 5 years, so feel like they are due converting one! Particularly with the franchises' history. 

Ravens vs Niners would make a great Superbowl at this point - Ravens would be favourites after Christmas day, but that could have been different with a few different bounces of the ball & who doesn't love a recent Superbowl rematch! 

• Like 1

Anyone watching the NCAA Rose Bowl on Sky ? 

Michigan get intercepted on their first drive, get a break as Alabama defender jumped to intercept from out of bounds, go four and out. 

Bama quarterback sacked twice on their first drive and punt. Michigan punt returner fumbles the punt, Bama recover in the Michigan half. 

They all need to calm down and play! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Livid said:

Michigan get intercepted on their first drive, get a break as Alabama defender jumped to intercept from out of bounds, go four and out. 

Bama quarterback sacked twice on their first drive and punt. Michigan punt returner fumbles the punt, Bama recover in the Michigan half. 

Wolverines past rush is dominant 

10 hours ago, Livid said:

Always wanted to watch a bit more college football, so have enjoyed it being on Sky. Watched the Gator Bowl last week, and first half of the Rose Bowl last night, but shame it went on so late - particularly reading up on the finish. 

Just another level from NFL to see such young guys with limited experience in such a big spotlight and the vast majority won't go pro, so will be the biggest event of their lives.

Standout moment of the first half was the look on Harbaugh's face when they missed the extra point. He looked like he was going to kill someone. His intensity as Niners coach was legendary and you would not want to be on the wrong side of it... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

NFL Game Pass question. Can you easily watch a game that’s already finished from the start easily without knowing the score? I’m thinking about the 1.05am kick offs and watching them the next morning. Tempted by the pass for the play offs. 

I don't subscribe to Game Pass anymore, and I know it moved to a DAZN based platform at the beginning of the season so it may have changed, but you definitely used to be able to change the settings as to whether you wanted to have the scores displayed on the game selection dashboard.

Used to love the Game in 40 feature, was a great way to watch pretty much a whole game in 40 odd minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

NFL Game Pass question. Can you easily watch a game that’s already finished from the start easily without knowing the score? I’m thinking about the 1.05am kick offs and watching them the next morning. Tempted by the pass for the play offs. 

Yes - there is an option to turn off scores, and one to turn off spoilers of TDs etc on individual games. I'd suggest ordering it before and playing around as from memory, it defaults to showing everything when you first get it.

Niners have had a few Thu/Sun/Mon night games, so I've had to watch back a few games this year, so a couple of my experiences are:

- try and avoid the BBC website altogether - they like to give headlines on the front page of sports to give away results - and sometimes on a football story, they will even have a link to video highlights. The headline saying the Ravens dominated the Niners was up on the site very quickly which put a dampener on my Boxing Day morning!

- watching the games back is a 4hr video regardless of how long the actual game was. The first game I watched back I kept thinking due to the length that it had to be an overtime game and watched most the game waiting for the Niners to blow a big lead - which never happened and the game ending around the 3 hour mark and an hour of dead air afterwards!

(They do have a choice of highlights, game in 40 or full game replay which is good. But I have pretty much given up with the game in 40 after the watching the Rams/Saints playoff game when the whole game revolved around a terrible pass interference - which was skipped completely in the game in 40)  

• Thanks 1

On 01/01/2024 at 00:20, SecretPro said:

He's not MVP though

Absolutely no reason why he shouldn't be - you don't set a single season franchise passing record without being a potential MVP winner.

On 01/01/2024 at 15:32, SecretPro said:

It wasn't really a spanking - the ravens just won the turnover battle (and a couple of them were more by luck than judgement), in terms of yardage the niners were superior across the board.

And fwiw, that was not the normal level they play at, in fact one of their worst performances.

Lot of respect for the ravens, but if it comes to a SB - expect to see a very different niners performance.  The argument for Jackson as MVP is only valid if you argue that the ravens are nothing without him?

• Thanks 1

Every bad bad game Purdy has had (3) his OL has let him down. 

He's a really inexperienced kid playing QB for one of the biggest teams in the league. I think he's been incredible and deserves any plaudits he gets. 

I find some of the media really weird in the way they put him down. 

16 hours ago, Lako42 said:

He's a really inexperienced kid playing QB for one of the biggest teams in the league. I think he's been incredible and deserves any plaudits he gets. 

Well, even in the three games he lost mid-season, they put up 17 points - 9 games this season that would have been a winning score, the 19 against baltimore even more so.

For me those games the defense let the team down.

1 hour ago, Lillehamring said:

Well, even in the three games he lost mid-season, they put up 17 points - 9 games this season that would have been a winning score, the 19 against baltimore even more so.

For me those games the defense let the team down.

Think it’s harsh to say the defense let the team down against Baltimore when he threw 4 picks in that game. 

He also threw 2 picks in the 4th quarter against the Vikings with the game on the line. 

18 hours ago, Lako42 said:

The debate on Prudy, and I’m not saying it’s one I subscribe to, is always around how much of his production is a result of the system he is playing in. 

He’s quite clearly not as physical talented as guys like Mahomes, Allen or Lamar, but it takes a lot of skill to run an offense the way he does and put the ball exactly where it needs to be on time nearly every time. 

As you say, he’s an inexperienced 2nd year QB, who wasn’t particularly highly rated coming out of college, and he’s operating one of, if not the best, offense’s in the NFL. It’s very impressive! 

Purdy is clearly very good, but he's not the MVP.  He's not even the MVP of the 49ers.  CMC and Trent Williams should both be ahead of him in the MVP voting imo, but unfortunately the MVP competition is now a de facto 'best QB' competition.  The 49ers are 2-3 when McCaffrey has fewer than 20 touches, and 10-1 when McCaffrey has 20 or more touches.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skolfoxes said:

Think it’s harsh to say the defense let the team down against Baltimore when he threw 4 picks in that game. 

He also threw 2 picks in the 4th quarter against the Vikings with the game on the line. 

To be fair, i was refrencing the 3 game slump, mid-season.

1 hour ago, skolfoxes said:

The debate on Prudy, and I’m not saying it’s one I subscribe to, is always around how much of his production is a result of the system he is playing in. 

He’s quite clearly not as physical talented as guys like Mahomes, Allen or Lamar, but it takes a lot of skill to run an offense the way he does and put the ball exactly where it needs to be on time nearly every time. 

As you say, he’s an inexperienced 2nd year QB, who wasn’t particularly highly rated coming out of college, and he’s operating one of, if not the best, offense’s in the NFL. It’s very impressive! 

That's a deeply questionable statement - i'm not sure what your angle is, but he is very mobile and he has shown this season that his arm strength is amongst the best?

It just feels like all the reasons people seem to give as to why he's not an MVP candidate don't stack up - the YAC myth, the arm strength fallacy, the system QB thing, the fact that he has quality talent around him - he's proven all of these to be untrue or it's been demonstrated that he's no different to previous MVP winners, and still the pundits are like - yeah, but...

When everyone knows that had been picked in the top 4 rounds, we'd not be having this conversation.

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Purdy is clearly very good, but he's not the MVP.  He's not even the MVP of the 49ers.  CMC and Trent Williams should both be ahead of him in the MVP voting imo, but unfortunately the MVP competition is now a de facto 'best QB' competition.  The 49ers are 2-3 when McCaffrey has fewer than 20 touches, and 10-1 when McCaffrey has 20 or more touches.

By the same token you could argue that the 49ers are 12-4 when purdy touches the ball ;)

There's a very strong argument, and a nice idea, IMO, that they should share it - it's happened before, and let's face it, without either of them the team isn't the same

4 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Deebo Samuel having a great season too.