Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

6 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

What a game.

Congrats Niners.

Green Bay has absolutely nothing to hang their heads about.

Yep, tough loss. Very proud of that performance. The future is bright for this young Packers team 😎

• Like 3

Get in there you beauties. 

GB will be back for sure, so much youth and potential there. 

So many times where that game could have changed. 

I personally thought we looked like a team that had been waiting for too long and had some obvious rust after the break. 

Hopefully better in the Championship game 

Just finished off the Niners game. Physically exhausted! Just so glad to get through after I though the game might have gone at points - Key stat: 49ers were 0-30 under Shanahan when down by 5 or more going into the 4th Qtr & they had a 7 point deficit tonight, so felt like another one of those games, but they are now 1-30.

Not sure what to make of it, but I think the game was the definition of rest v rust. Green Bay started strongly and just looked more in the zone. But gradually, the Niners D got on top and the Niners Offense started moving the ball, and the Packers just seemed to fade in that 4th Qtr - having had no off game, a road game in Dallas, a flight back to Wisconsin and flight to the Bay Area, it may have been that as much as anything. But there is a hell of a good football team there. Looks like a breath of fresh air not having Rodgers around!!! (Where have I heard that before?)

• Haha 1

On 20/01/2024 at 22:57, Golden Fox said:

No way I'm staying up until 4 or 5 am! 

Watching first half of Ravens game, then will watch the Niners game tomorrow avoiding the score :fc: and to hell with the rest of the games! 

49ers were locked into that no1 seed about 3 weeks ago now, so it's been a long wait & will just have to wait a bit longer... 

Yeah, i didn't have the option to record/watch it today - but it was worth it (sort of)

19 hours ago, spacemunky said:

What a game.

Congrats Niners.

Green Bay has absolutely nothing to hang their heads about.

Green Bay were unlucky but the niners owned them in the red zone and that was enough to get us over the line.  Also helped that Purdy played better than Love in the end - not great on the pass% but those picks we're shocking.

Probably been the best, certainly most exciting game so far.  Future is very bright for green Bay

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

Just finished off the Niners game. Physically exhausted! Just so glad to get through after I though the game might have gone at points - Key stat: 49ers were 0-30 under Shanahan when down by 5 or more going into the 4th Qtr & they had a 7 point deficit tonight, so felt like another one of those games, but they are now 1-30.

Not sure what to make of it, but I think the game was the definition of rest v rust. Green Bay started strongly and just looked more in the zone. But gradually, the Niners D got on top and the Niners Offense started moving the ball, and the Packers just seemed to fade in that 4th Qtr - having had no off game, a road game in Dallas, a flight back to Wisconsin and flight to the Bay Area, it may have been that as much as anything. But there is a hell of a good football team there. Looks like a breath of fresh air not having Rodgers around!!! (Where have I heard that before?)

Niners also have the fewest points allowed per game in the 4th quarter.

I've had a feeling about the Chiefs for a while, they are a very potent mix of experienced in winning and underestimated. Americans talk a lot about the 'intangibles' which is mostly bollocks but I think in a sport like American football which is both physically demanding and also unforgiving of small mistakes, it is a huge psychological boost to have at QB a guy you know has been to a championship game 6 times in a row. I can see them winning it all and Kelce doing the whole "everybody thinks we suck" Edelman 2019 speech. 

On 22/01/2024 at 19:10, bovril said:

I've had a feeling about the Chiefs for a while, they are a very potent mix of experienced in winning and underestimated. Americans talk a lot about the 'intangibles' which is mostly bollocks but I think in a sport like American football which is both physically demanding and also unforgiving of small mistakes, it is a huge psychological boost to have at QB a guy you know has been to a championship game 6 times in a row. I can see them winning it all and Kelce doing the whole "everybody thinks we suck" Edelman 2019 speech. 

The mentality element is undoubtedly a huge boost, they will always think they can win until the dying seconds and as it was with Brady and the pats, you can never count them out completely until the other team is in victory formation. 

I wouldn't be massively surprised if the Chiefs won Sunday but that said and my bias aside, I do think the Ravens team is very good.

All of our early season losses were effectively bottled and we have a  history of bottling big games since 2012, many of which have been pretty painful, but the last few weeks things have felt different.