Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

Best stat of the weekend (other than the Niners beating the Rams & holding them without a TD) - 15 games were within a score at some point in the 4th quarter this week - only QB failing to keep their team in it was Tom Brady ;)

Joking aside, that was the most games that close in NFL history, and I'm not sure what to make of this season so far... only 1 team at 4-0 and only 4 other NFC teams and 3 AFC teams over .500 (including the Giants?) - the "Elite" teams of the Chiefs, Bills, Rams, Packers etc. aren't that far ahead of anyone else and are losing games and everyone is beating everyone else. The whole NFC West is knotted at 2-2. Its so flat, that I'm still feeling good about the Niners & they are all the way down in 12th in the ESPN power rankings.

I'm sure it will start stretching out over the next few weeks, but its certainly been an interesting first 4 weeks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

Best stat of the weekend (other than the Niners beating the Rams & holding them without a TD) - 15 games were within a score at some point in the 4th quarter this week - only QB failing to keep their team in it was Tom Brady ;)

Joking aside, that was the most games that close in NFL history, and I'm not sure what to make of this season so far... only 1 team at 4-0 and only 4 other NFC teams and 3 AFC teams over .500 (including the Giants?) - the "Elite" teams of the Chiefs, Bills, Rams, Packers etc. aren't that far ahead of anyone else and are losing games and everyone is beating everyone else. The whole NFC West is knotted at 2-2. Its so flat, that I'm still feeling good about the Niners & they are all the way down in 12th in the ESPN power rankings.

I'm sure it will start stretching out over the next few weeks, but its certainly been an interesting first 4 weeks.

I've only started watching this season and the closeness of games has been an interesting aspect. 

Glad the Niners looked better on Monday, especially Jimmy G

• Like 1

Just a casual fan so I've never really understood whether the fans enjoy the big hits or not? Seems a bit odd to me that fans come out in unison to send well wishes to players like Tua who have very scary injuries (I see someone else has been ****ed up today while playing for Detroit) but also they cheer the really big hits. 

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

Just a casual fan so I've never really understood whether the fans enjoy the big hits or not? Seems a bit odd to me that fans come out in unison to send well wishes to players like Tua who have very scary injuries (I see someone else has been ****ed up today while playing for Detroit) but also they cheer the really big hits. 

Fans love a big hit. As long as it's clean. No leading with the helmet. No targeting of the head.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Fans love a big hit. As long as it's clean. No leading with the helmet. No targeting of the head.

but the concussions come not just from leading with the helmet but also being slammed to the ground, which is often the result of a 'clean hit'. And most of the time when I see players being carted off the field in neck braces, the fans had been cheering the tackle that had resulted in the injury.

I do enjoy a bit of American football but more and more I'm thinking it's an absurd sport watched by hypocrites. 

1 minute ago, bovril said:

but the concussions come not just from leading with the helmet but also being slammed to the ground, which is often the result of a 'clean hit'. And most of the time when I see players being carted off the field in neck braces, the fans had been cheering the tackle that had resulted in the injury.

I do enjoy a bit of American football but more and more I'm thinking it's an absurd sport watched by hypocrites. 

admittedly my current cynicism comes a lot from having to share a city the last two weekends with overweight American football fans committing the absolute worst crime against humanity possible - the hoodie with a replica shirt over it. 

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

True. It's usually the QBs that get these injuries though. An unfortunate by-product of what has become a pass-happy league.

I'm probably coming across as a hypocrite too now. The players are now well aware of the long-term health ramifications of playing the game. They know it's not a tickling contest, but probably see the vast sums of money that can be made as worth the risk. It's very much like boxing in that respect.

Cowboys win 22-10 and Rush only passes for just over 100 yards. Thats mental. Solid defence and a strong running game, I hope we don't change it when Dak comes back because it might be slow to watch but the grinding out games is working. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scotch said:

Cowboys win 22-10 and Rush only passes for just over 100 yards. Thats mental. Solid defence and a strong running game, I hope we don't change it when Dak comes back because it might be slow to watch but the grinding out games is working. 

It feels like the league is changing again this season and the teams that are good at run blocking are doing well. Everyone started playing two high safeties last year to stop the Mahomes and Allen's of the world but it has left teams open to get run all over and it feels like that is happening a lot. Scoring is way down but it seems that way more games end up being really close. Dallas are definitely a team that should be running the ball even when Dak comes back as you have two quality backs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

49ers trade for Christian McCaffrey!!!

Just the shot in the arm needed ahead of revenge showdowns with the Chiefs (SB LIV) and Rams (Last year's NFC Championship game).

If he stays healthy, he will be a wonder in the Shanahan offence.

Think it was a little bit pricey mind.

6 hours ago, Simmo86 said:

If he stays healthy, he will be a wonder in the Shanahan offence.

Think it was a little bit pricey mind.

5 hours ago, The Bear said:

Yes it's a lot of early picks. Probably worth it if he stays fit though. 

The 49ers have had so many injuries over the past few years and already this season, I really didn't want to tempt fate by mentioning it...

But the view on draft capital has been changing in the NFL over the past few years (e.g. the Rams last year) - and coaches and GMs are realising you may sometimes be better off with known quantities than players who may never come good. I mean the 49ers bypassed McCaffrey to pick Soloman Thomas at No 3 overall in 2017. Ice hockey is a bit different, but really, once you get outside the top 10 picks, its a bit of a crap shoot and teams are far more open to trading lower picks, and that view is becoming a bit more commonplace in the NFL. 

I'm a Jets fan currently on cloud 9 but well aware reality will set in sooner rather than later. Buffalo look very very good in the AFC and the Eagles likewise in the NFC. There have been some really good surprises so far this season. I never thought Tampa would be struggling as much as they are. I would never have imagined the Giants would be 5-1. I would never have imagined the Packers would be 3-3. Lots of thrilling matchups to come, but from what I have seen so far it will take a lot to knock off the Bills and Eagles.