Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

Can someone explain to me why buffalo went for a sneak in such a dangerous position?  I'm still trying to learn the rules and tactics.

Amazing game, incredible ending...and that jefferson catch.:blink:

With time expiring, 99.9% of the time, you go for a "kneel down" which is the safest play that will keep the clock running, with the ball then spotted where the knee touches down.

In this case, the ball was at the 1 inch line, so a kneel down would have resulted in a safety (2 points to the Vikings & Buffalo kicking back to them, giving the VIkings a chance to win)

So they needed to make a play - a throw is risky with a chance of an interception (a deliberate incomplete pass can be a penalty of intentional grounding, which would be a safety if thrown from the endzone): a run can either lose yardage and may be a chance of a fumble - a QB sneak can't really lose yardage and *should* have a very low chance of a fumble.

But it was probably the right call - just a f**k up on the execution!!!

Thinking about it, it is quite a complicated game when a simple question needs that much of an explanation!

A hell of a game though - the strength needed for that catch was phenomenal, and then with a minute on the clock, 3 plays in a row needing a review to see if the Vikings got in the endzone or not....

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

How was the game??? Looked a good atmosphere on the telly.

Disappointing to lose? (but it does open the NFC West up ;))

It was an amazing experience and great to finally see them in person.

Just a shame they didn’t play anything like they can for 3.5 quarters, D look very much like the opening weeks which is a worry going forward!

As you say really open now, Niners will be in 1st place after our bye next week.

Seems Munich will be a yearly game now, would definitely recommend coming over.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Does anyone know what the reaction is to games being played abroad?  There are so few home games it must irk a little. 

I doubt it used to go down well, but nowadays there's an extra game on the schedule to compensate for things like International Games. Plus the season ticket holders get first refusal for tickets to International Games, and if they can't attend then they get a reduced package price for their season ticket.

Green Bay have refused to lose one of their home games for years due to them being owned by the fans. This year is the first time they have been over to London and it was a home game for them. It also helped that it was now an additional 17th game in the schedule so the fans didn't lose anything on their ST. 

Green Bay is a crazy story, because their waiting list for STs is YEARS long. Like 30 years!! People register their kids at birth and hope one comes available later in life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

I doubt it used to go down well, but nowadays there's an extra game on the schedule to compensate for things like International Games. Plus the season ticket holders get first refusal for tickets to International Games, and if they can't attend then they get a reduced package price for their season ticket.

Green Bay have refused to lose one of their home games for years due to them being owned by the fans. This year is the first time they have been over to London and it was a home game for them. It also helped that it was now an additional 17th game in the schedule so the fans didn't lose anything on their ST. 

Green Bay is a crazy story, because their waiting list for STs is YEARS long. Like 30 years!! People register their kids at birth and hope one comes available later in life. 

I still notice loads of empty seats at stadiums that I hadn't noticed in the past, I wondered if the success of the MLS has something to do with it?.  Any ideas?

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

I still notice loads of empty seats at stadiums that I hadn't noticed in the past, I wondered if the success of the MLS has something to do with it?.  Any ideas?

Probably price?

I looked the other day out of interest and it's ****ing insane

A couple of friends were headed 2-1/2 hours east to Buffalo for the Browns game Sunday.  They've had to reverse course.

Game moved to Ford Field in Detroit because Buffalo is expected to get FOUR TO FIVE FEET of snow before Sunday.

On 18/11/2022 at 18:31, The Bear said:

FB_IMG_1668791222228.jpg

Amazing ... as of 5:15 pm yesterday Orchard Park (the stadium site) had received 77 inches in 48 hours, with "another round of heavy lake effect snowfall" expected overnight.

They are talking about building a new stadium and you'd have to figure a dome will be a must ... but players and fans still couldn't get to the game.  And I wonder if they can engineer a dome roof to hold up under SEVEN FEET PLUS of snow ?!  This early-season snow is back-breakingly heavy.

I'm very new to this NFL malarkey, only been paying attention since just over a year ago, still feeling my way to finding my team tbh (gradually eliminating teams from the list of those I quite like seems to be the way I'm going about it. I take it I need to find a team to support? Or is it more okay to be a kind of floating fan than it is with football? I have a horrible feeling I'll be like some dreadful soccer fan from overseas who says 'I like Arsenal and Tottenham')

Anyway, it seems objectively in many ways pretty rubbish as an actual sport, and the apparent disregard for the health of the players is appalling, but -

IT'S SO MUCH FUN!

I like the Steelers, there just seems something gritty and real about them. Am I imagining that? (And I did once see an old clip of Franco Harris winning the Superbowl in the seventies which was awesome.)

Also the Bills (wear blue, lost 4 superbowls, never won it, bet you can't imagine who that reminds me of!)

Watching the Jags on tv last year when they won with a last-kick field goal was what got me into watching it, so I have a soft spot for them. Also they're endearingly crap.

Oh, and the Ravens because purple's a good kit colour and I kinda like Baltimore (in an abstract sense and mainly because of The Wire - not sure how much I'd like to live there...)

Probably a couple of others I kind of like but have forgotten...!

One of the best things about the sport is the draft and salary cap. Which means that no matter how poor your team is, you have a chance of becoming a very good team in 5-10 years again with some savvy picks, management and the right coaches. Just look at how crap the Patriots are nowadays after dominating for years, and how almost really good the Browns had a chance of being recently despite being horrible for years. Same with the 49ers who were awful 5 years ago. 

6 minutes ago, The Bear said:

One of the best things about the sport is the draft and salary cap. Which means that no matter how poor your team is, you have a chance of becoming a very good team in 5-10 years again with some savvy picks, management and the right coaches. Just look at how crap the Patriots are nowadays after dominating for years, and how almost really good the Browns had a chance of being recently despite being horrible for years. Same with the 49ers who were awful 5 years ago. 

Yes, that does seem to work well. Watching the superbowl I think the Bengals had gone from about the worst team in the league to the superbowl in a couple of years?

3 hours ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

I'm very new to this NFL malarkey, only been paying attention since just over a year ago, still feeling my way to finding my team tbh (gradually eliminating teams from the list of those I quite like seems to be the way I'm going about it. I take it I need to find a team to support? Or is it more okay to be a kind of floating fan than it is with football? I have a horrible feeling I'll be like some dreadful soccer fan from overseas who says 'I like Arsenal and Tottenham')

Anyway, it seems objectively in many ways pretty rubbish as an actual sport, and the apparent disregard for the health of the players is appalling, but -

IT'S SO MUCH FUN!

Floating fan is fine! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Excellent news!

Yeah, being a casual fan is fine. I'd just make sure not to like both teams of a rivalry so stay clear of supporting the Bengals AND the Brown's or the Ravens AND the Steelers for example.