Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

13 hours ago, KingsX said:

This is an Owner Moves Entire Contents of Team HQ in the Middle of the Night, Leaving the Most Passionate Fanbase in the Sport Without a Team thing.

Fans who continued to fill the biggest, most decrepit stadium in the league whether the team was great or lousy.

There is no rationalizing it.  No accepting it.  None.

I thought the midnight move was Irsay moving the Baltimore Colts to Indianapolis? Cleveland to Baltimore ended up being an agreement that bought the Browns a team a few years later?

Looking at some of the histories of NFL teams, it's not worth getting too attached to one, is it? They're highly likely to move, change name, or both. Or just disappear completely.

I had no idea the Colts started in Baltimore. And I'd assumed the Texans were the Oilers renamed, but it turns out that's the Titans. And as for the Rams and the Cardinals - they just wander around all over the place!

On 03/12/2022 at 11:50, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Looking at some of the histories of NFL teams, it's not worth getting too attached to one, is it? They're highly likely to move, change name, or both. Or just disappear completely.

I had no idea the Colts started in Baltimore. And I'd assumed the Texans were the Oilers renamed, but it turns out that's the Titans. And as for the Rams and the Cardinals - they just wander around all over the place!

I did feel the same (especially after my Houston Oilers went kaput - they were the Oilers for a couple of years in Tennessee before being renamed) - but I really think the landscape has changed. By and large, the major leagues are reaching a nice round 32 teams with strong franchises, and the leagues will do all they can to keep the teams where they are. I think what happens with the Browns 

was a bit of a watershed moment.

Since I got back into US sports in 2007, in the 3 leagues I follow (yes, I know with my team being the Golden State Warriors, I've picked the wrong league to de-prioritize!), the only franchises that have moved in those 15 years have been:

NHL - Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg (Atlanta has always been a reach as a hockey market)

NFL - Rams and Charges moving to LA (back to where they came from) and Raiders moving to Vegas (3rd move as a franchise)

MLB - No moves

Teams renaming in that time are the Redskins (for obvious reasons), the Indians (for obvious reasons), Tampa Bay Devil Rays to Tampa Bay Rays and location renames of - Phoenix Coyotes to Arizona Coyotes and Anaheim Angeles (or Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim!) to Los Angeles Angels  

Franchises are changing hands for billions (cheapest would be the NHL & the last one went for £900m & the Kraken paid a £650m expansion fee) so no team is going to just disappear. 

So given that all from 30 teams in 3 leagues over 15 year, its actually pretty unlikely that if you pick a team they would move or change name or both, so that shouldn't factor into your choice of team - but there circumstances do arise, and you can probably see the warning signs with a bit of research: 

NHL - Arizona has been the biggest problem & have been on the verge of moving, but finally look like they might be getting an arena deal in Tempe. Florida does have it crowds ridiculed, so they would be next in the firing line. Blackhawks might need to change their logo, but figure they could keep the name.

NFL - I'm not sure of the long term deal for the Chargers staying in LA: just doesn't feel right in someone else's stadium. Jacksonville has never screamed NFL city (London calling?), but can't see many other teams at risk or big open slots now LA has gone (potentially St Louis, but there was some bad feeling from the Rams leaving & bridges were burnt). In terms of names, the Chiefs use American Indian iconography, but would probably keep the name.

MLB - I don't think anyone is getting too attached the the Oakland Athletics, but I think that will be the hill the city will die on to keep one of their 3 teams after the Warriors moved across to SF and the Raiders fled, and will eventually get a new stadium deal done. Tampa Bay's stadium is less than ideal and they were even discussing trying to split games with Montreal, so there needs to be a resolution there. In terms of names, we're looking at the Braves, but they aren't showing any remorse about their name or "the chop," but I think time will catch up with them within a decade...

So the history of franchises in US sports moving around is fascinating to read about, but it really is historic, with all leagues now having been stable for a very long time - of the teams you mentioned, only the Rams have been in the last 15 years - so the 4 exceptions in those 15 years prove the rule!

• Thanks 1

What the hell happened to the Colts overnight? 

21-19 going into the 4th quarter and they concede 33 unanswered points?! 

Seahawks win again, close game with the Rams :appl:

49ers did good against Dolphins especially with Garoppolo getting injured early on. Think I heard during comms that the replacement QB was the LAST draft pick, 262nd in total! 

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

What the hell happened to the Colts overnight? 

21-19 going into the 4th quarter and they concede 33 unanswered points?! 

Seahawks win again, close game with the Rams :appl:

49ers did good against Dolphins especially with Garoppolo getting injured early on. Think I heard during comms that the replacement QB was the LAST draft pick, 262nd in total! 

Us Colts do what we do best and lose in the craziest ways possible. 

Tanking for a QB me thinks.

3 hours ago, Simmo86 said:

Seahawks run D absolute crock of shite again for the 4th week running. Post season probably done now!

At least we'll have some very nice draft picks next year 

Yeah, I'm not completely convinced by the Jags' apparent new tactic of not being the worst team in the NFL and getting the best picks.

Somebody tell me please, I thought the Vikings had 1st and 10 on the Colts 3 yard line with about 13 seconds to go.

Why didn't they go for the TD/FG rather than take the knee and run the clock down for OT? (I'm not watching it closely tbf so probably missed something obvs)

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Somebody tell me please, I thought the Vikings had 1st and 10 on the Colts 3 yard line with about 13 seconds to go.

Why didn't they go for the TD/FG rather than take the knee and run the clock down for OT? (I'm not watching it closely tbf so probably missed something obvs)

Colts had the possession right at the end there.

• Thanks 1