Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

On 22/11/2022 at 23:19, Golden Fox said:

give it to the end of the season: it might be that one of those teams will be in the playoffs (it won't be the Jags!)

On 23/12/2022 at 10:30, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Obviously they're the Jags, and are quite capable of losing to the Texans next week, but... it just might actually be the Jags!

:D

Congratulations to the Jags!!! Division winners, and they even did it with a winning record 9-8!

Has that clinched it for you Manley? Do we have a confirmed Jags fan?

Lovely to see the packers not make the playoffs. Bet the NFL must be fuming. Wonder what their fans will have to moan about? The nfl’s version of Liverpool fans that lot. lol 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Lcfc098 said:

Texans won the game on a 2 point conversion in the last second to lose themselves the number 1 pick? lol

Yep was brilliant. Lovie Smith knew he was going to get fired (confirmed now) so stuck it to them by winning the game. 

Edited by The Bear

13 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Yep was brilliant. Lovie Smith knew he was going to get fired (confirmed now) so stuck it to them by winning the game. 

Once a Bear - always a Bear.

Number 1 draft pick. And we don't need a QB - we're gonna get a song and dance for that pick.

3 hours ago, Simmo86 said:

PLAYOFFS BABY!

What a season :appl:- trading away your franchise quarterback for a rebuild and then making the Playoffs!

On the one hand, as a 49ers fan, I'm far happier with drawing them than the Packers.

But on the other hand...

- we beat the Rams twice last year and then lost to them in the Playoffs...

- The Seahawks have had our number for years, and this year, when we finally shake that off (and go unbeaten in the division for the first time since 1997), the Playoffs put us right back into that match-up...

- there was a graphic last night showing the most recent teams to finish the regular season with 10 straight games, and its been a long time since any of them made it as far as the Conference final...

- we are still quarterbacked by a third string rookie who was the last pick in the draft and now has a grand total of 5 career starts behind him...

Probably just being pessimistic - roll on Saturday :scarf:

29 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

- we are still quarterbacked by a third string rookie who was the last pick in the draft and now has a grand total of 5 career starts behind him...

Brock Purdy is mint though, no idea why this hasn't been a bigger story as it is pretty unprecedented.

My favourite moment yesterday was Lovie Smith's smirk when the texans won as he knew he was going to be fired and they lost the number one pick (ironically to his old team Chicago).

36 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

What a season :appl:- trading away your franchise quarterback for a rebuild and then making the Playoffs!

Not only that, but that QB failing and playing poorly for that Broncos side who were nowhere near playoffs! 

1 hour ago, mancunianfox said:

Brock Purdy is mint though, no idea why this hasn't been a bigger story as it is pretty unprecedented.

My favourite moment yesterday was Lovie Smith's smirk when the texans won as he knew he was going to be fired and they lost the number one pick (ironically to his old team Chicago).

Just looking at QBR - from what I can see, for the official title, you need "a minimum of 14 passing attempts per team game" - which my maths gets to 238 passing attempts. Purdy only had 170 attempts so only got 70% of the way to qualifying, but as per the table below (from https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/passing.htm & filtered for over 50 attempts), he had a rating of 107.3, which would have given him the title ahead of Tua and Mahommes! Garoppolo's 3rd place does shows the 49ers offence is far more than just the QB...

It may not be a bigger story NFL - wide, but its certainly a massive story for the Niners - although if there is a fan base that is prone to hype up a QB and start comparisons to Montana and Young then its the Niners' so always need to wait for a bigger sample size.

The main things I love about Purdy are his ability to feel pocket pressure and escape without taking a sack (often with an old fashioned Madden '92 spinorama move to give him a better angle to throw it away without exposing his arm to the pass rusher) and his calmness to wait and then find the easy pass to an open receiver. Neither are flashy plays, but they make sure they don't generate turnover chances, and I've never felt as comfortable watching the 49ers knowing they won't cough it up. (This year, they have lost the turnover battle 4 times and are 0-4 in those games. Won 10 times & tied 3 times and they are 13-0 in those games - it is a priority for them and they finished no 1 in the NFL in plus/mins on turnovers this year). They have enough flashy players around (and blocking schemes) to make the big yards after the catch without having to do anything too ambitious through the air, Purdy knows what his job is and he does it. He may be a rookie at NFL level, but with 4 years and 48 games as a stater at College and much of this season practicing against the NFL's #1 defense so he has far more experience than most rookies.

So I think the fact its not a bigger story is down the fact that he's not making the flashy plays or winning games on his own, but get through a couple of playoff rounds and I think the hype will build. The way he plays, I don't think he will fall apart once he starts his first playoff game, but its still a massive deal if he stops and thinks about where he has come from in 2 months, and as you say, its unprecedented!

image.png.ad52ea80057ae40a24c827664113fdc2.png

Couldn't work out what the Texans were doing yesterday, but if Lovie Smith knew he was getting fired, it explains a lot!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

On the one hand, as a 49ers fan, I'm far happier with drawing them than the Packers.

But on the other hand...

- we beat the Rams twice last year and then lost to them in the Playoffs...

- The Seahawks have had our number for years, and this year, when we finally shake that off (and go unbeaten in the division for the first time since 1997), the Playoffs put us right back into that match-up...

- there was a graphic last night showing the most recent teams to finish the regular season with 10 straight games, and its been a long time since any of them made it as far as the Conference final...

Probably just being pessimistic - roll on Saturday :scarf:

Can’t see anything past a comfortable Niners victory to be honest but I’ll take that with how low the expectations were at the start of the season. Your run game v our run D is a bit of a mismatch lol could be a bloodbath!

Slightly annoyed with Denver winning taking our/their 1st round pick from #3 to #5, probably means we’ll miss on the two standout DL prospects but little things :D.

On 09/01/2023 at 16:52, Golden Fox said:

So I think the fact its not a bigger story is down the fact that he's not making the flashy plays or winning games on his own, but get through a couple of playoff rounds and I think the hype will build. The way he plays, I don't think he will fall apart once he starts his first playoff game, but its still a massive deal if he stops and thinks about where he has come from in 2 months, and as you say, its unprecedented!

Good post! It does remind of when Tom Brady came in initially in New England when he filled the game manager role for the first few years of his career. Unlikely they will have the same development but sometimes just running the scheme and not making bad decisions goes a good way - it is a good platform to build off. It will be very interesting tom see where they go and what they do with Lance, who on what I have seen so far looks like an a bust.

On 09/01/2023 at 01:02, Bert said:

Lovely to see the packers not make the playoffs. Bet the NFL must be fuming. Wonder what their fans will have to moan about? The nfl’s version of Liverpool fans that lot. lol 

How naive you are!  The NFL's only remaining small town club.  The NFL's only fan-owned club.

Glory hunting "club shoppers" pick the Cowboys or other marketing creations.  The Packers just soldier on in a forgotten corner of the country, with the same fans who put their own money into the club and remain loyal, accepting their ups and downs.

Packers fans are are 100x closer to Sunderland than to Liverpool.  I promise.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, KingsX said:

How naive you are!  The NFL's only remaining small town club.  The NFL's only fan-owned club.

Glory hunting "club shoppers" pick the Cowboys or other marketing creations.  The Packers just soldier on in a forgotten corner of the country, with the same fans who put their own money into the club and remain loyal, accepting their ups and downs.

Packers fans are are 100x closer to Sunderland than to Liverpool.  I promise.

Unfortunately the ones over here are probably the ones Bert is referencing. I would argue they are one of the most followed teams by UK fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1