Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

11 hours ago, lildave3 said:

Unfortunately the ones over here are probably the ones Bert is referencing. I would argue they are one of the most followed teams by UK fans.

Interesting question. Sounds like something we should spend public money to find out.

Oh, wait, we already have: https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/sport/popularity/american-football-teams/all

Need to take this with a pinch of salt, as its about % of people with a positive opinion of teams rather than who they support:

1. Miami Dolphins, 27%
  2. Dallas Cowboys, 20%
  3. New York Giants, 18%
  4. Green Bay Packers, 17%
  5. Chicago Bears, 17%
  6. New York Jets, 17%
  7. Cleveland Browns, 16%
  8. Seattle Seahawks, 14%
  9. San Francisco 49ers, 14%
  10. Houston Texans, 14%
  11. Philadeplphia Eagles, 14%
  12. Las Vegas Raiders, 13%
  13. Cincinnati Bengals, 13%
  14. New England Patriots, 13%
  15. Denver Broncos, 13%
  16. Los Angeles Rams, 13%
  17. Buffalo Bills, 12%
  18. Pittsburgh Steelers, 12%
  19. Balitmore Ravens, 12%
  20. Minnesota Vikings, 12%
  21. Jacksonville Jaguars, 11%
  22. Carolina Panthers, 11%
  23. Indianapolis Colts, 11%
  24. New Orleans Saints, 10%
  25. Los Angeles Chargers, 10%
  26. Washington Commanders, 10%
  27. Kansas City Chiefs, 9%
  28. Atlanta Falcons, 7%
  29. Detroit Lions*
  30. Tennessee Titans*
  31. Tampa Bay Buccaneers*
  32. Arizona Cardinals*

Not surprised by the Dolphins as they were big in the 80s and people holiday over in Florida & adopt them as a team, and not surprised by Bears, Giants & Cowboys near the top.

However, I'd have thought the Patriots would be much higher - particularly going to Wembley games, I've seen more of their gear than any other team, I'd have thought the 49ers and the Raiders would be higher and it is pretty desperate for the Jags if they are in 21st having had home games here year after year.

Higher than I'd thought are the Browns in 7th & also surprised the Jets are that high.

So I think this is flawed (typical government survey asking the wrong question) - given the Patriots video and deflategate scandals, you are either a fan of them or have a negative opinion of them,  so they rank lower than they should, but an interesting list. (Still can't work out any reason for the Browns to be as high as 7th - any ideas @KingsX??)

14 hours ago, lildave3 said:

Unfortunately the ones over here are probably the ones Bert is referencing. I would argue they are one of the most followed teams by UK fans.

Correct my friend. 

16 hours ago, KingsX said:

How naive you are!  The NFL's only remaining small town club.  The NFL's only fan-owned club.

Glory hunting "club shoppers" pick the Cowboys or other marketing creations.  The Packers just soldier on in a forgotten corner of the country, with the same fans who put their own money into the club and remain loyal, accepting their ups and downs.

Packers fans are are 100x closer to Sunderland than to Liverpool.  I promise.

In a way you've kind of shown how they are quite similar to Liverpool fans - they see themselves as special. A real club 'of the people', not a soulless corporate sell-out.

Although tbf I accept in the American context the Packers are special.

5 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

Interesting question. Sounds like something we should spend public money to find out.

Oh, wait, we already have: https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/sport/popularity/american-football-teams/all

Need to take this with a pinch of salt, as its about % of people with a positive opinion of teams rather than who they support:

1. Miami Dolphins, 27%
  2. Dallas Cowboys, 20%
  3. New York Giants, 18%
  5. Chicago Bears, 17%
  6. New York Jets, 17%
  7. Cleveland Browns, 16%
  8. Seattle Seahawks, 14%
  10. Houston Texans, 14%
  15. Denver Broncos, 13%
  17. Buffalo Bills, 12%
  28. Atlanta Falcons, 7%
  29. Detroit Lions*
  30. Tennessee Titans*
  32. Arizona Cardinals*

Not surprised by the Dolphins as they were big in the 80s and people holiday over in Florida & adopt them as a team, and not surprised by Bears, Giants & Cowboys near the top.

However, I'd have thought the Patriots would be much higher - particularly going to Wembley games, I've seen more of their gear than any other team, I'd have thought the 49ers and the Raiders would be higher and it is pretty desperate for the Jags if they are in 21st having had home games here year after year.

Higher than I'd thought are the Browns in 7th & also surprised the Jets are that high.

So I think this is flawed (typical government survey asking the wrong question) - given the Patriots video and deflategate scandals, you are either a fan of them or have a negative opinion of them,  so they rank lower than they should, but an interesting list. (Still can't work out any reason for the Browns to be as high as 7th - any ideas @KingsX??)

I'm surprised, but not surprised about the Browns.  Many Browns fans are unable to engage even one tiny corner of their brain to see the club objectively.  I still know a bunch of folks who paid for  Personal Seat Licenses, have kept their STs, and forever think the Browns are one year away from their inevitable Return To Glory.

I am close to unique as an "ex" avid Browns fan.  (Dawg Pound regular, then STH before they moved the club, now just angry that the city spent a billion dollars to bring a new Billionaire Shitshow to town.)  Most fans seem to shrug off the club's move, its owners, and lately trading most of its draft capital for a sex offender who was statistically the NFL's third-worst QB last year  Their minds only have room for their dads' tales of the club's massive first half-century.  And Cleveland's once-large population having long since moved away, there are LOTS of Browns fans everywhere in the country.

They fill that stadium despite a succession of hideously poor owners and only the briefest sniffs of possible success.  So I should have compared Browns (not Packers) fans to Sunderland's.  But that said: if you really want to get a Browns ST, there are openings.  If you want a Packers ST, you'll have to wait for decades.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

1. Miami Dolphins, 27%
  2. Dallas Cowboys, 20%
  3. New York Giants, 18%
  5. Chicago Bears, 17%
  6. New York Jets, 17%
  7. Cleveland Browns, 16%
  8. Seattle Seahawks, 14%
  10. Houston Texans, 14%
  15. Denver Broncos, 13%
  17. Buffalo Bills, 12%
  28. Atlanta Falcons, 7%
  29. Detroit Lions*
  30. Tennessee Titans*
  32. Arizona Cardinals*

The first 5 are not surprising - the rest of the list is nonsense surely. Bills over Jags is bizarre. 

2 minutes ago, lildave3 said:

The first 5 are not surprising - the rest of the list is nonsense surely. Bills over Jags is bizarre. 

Bills were good when they got to the those four superbowls and that is the time period where a lot of the UK interest comes from. The Texans at 10 is mental though, I can't come up with an explanation for that one!

8 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

1. Miami Dolphins, 27%
  2. Dallas Cowboys, 20%
  3. New York Giants, 18%
  5. Chicago Bears, 17%
  6. New York Jets, 17%
  7. Cleveland Browns, 16%
  8. Seattle Seahawks, 14%
  10. Houston Texans, 14%
  15. Denver Broncos, 13%
  17. Buffalo Bills, 12%
  28. Atlanta Falcons, 7%
  29. Detroit Lions*
  30. Tennessee Titans*
  32. Arizona Cardinals*

Cripes, it took me this long to realize that list is about popularity in the UK.  I'm still shocked by "our" football's inroads there.

No, I can can think of NO conceivable reason why the Cleveland Browns would be the 7th most positively regarded NFL club in the UK.  Although that "fact" (if true) scares the hell out of me regarding the judgment of British folks.

Popular in Cleveland, Yorks, maybe.  Anywhere else in the UK ...  wtf.gif.4998b62e6edecb658e48b30ec564e6ff.gif

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Cripes, it took me this long to realize that list is about popularity in the UK.  I'm still shocked by "our" football's inroads there.

No, I can can think of NO conceivable reason why the Cleveland Browns would be the 7th most positively regarded NFL club in the UK.  Although that "fact" (if true) scares the hell out of me regarding the judgment of British folks.

Popular in Cleveland, Yorks, maybe.  Anywhere else in the UK ...  wtf.gif.4998b62e6edecb658e48b30ec564e6ff.gif

It's in our nature to love a scruffy underdog. 

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

The first post must be post of the year so far!! A great rant & all the better that it was answering a completely different question to the one asked!! 

But fully justifed... I'm still disgusted any team would have gone near Watson with a barge pole... let alone offer up what the Browns did. I don't usually like to root for other teams to lose, but what happened with the suspension and the Browns being virtually out of the Playoffs by the time he got on the field, then an absolute sh1t show to make sure they stayed out when he came back seemed to have some karma that not even that stupid Elf at midfield could overcome.

7th place will be either one of the greatest mysreries of our time or a just a government cock-up... 

2 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

I don't usually like to root for other teams to lose, but what happened with the suspension and the Browns being virtually out of the Playoffs by the time he got on the field, then an absolute sh1t show to make sure they stayed out when he came back seemed to have some karma that not even that stupid Elf at midfield could overcome.

I can at least explain the elf ... this is the program cover from the second home game in franchise history ...

BrownsYankees.JPG.92d155bc416e32180b169aaa40b5d7ae.JPG

... which is proudly tacked up * in the gents' of the wine store where I work!

* and remarkably, never stolen

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

A very close 1st half in this game. 

49ers not looking quite as fluid as in recent weeks. 

Bloody bonehead way to gift them 3 points and the lead at half time lead...

Purdy at just under 50% completion rate - not sure if its the rain, the nerves or the fact he's due a bad day, but its not quite happening.

The Niners have been very good in the 2nd half during their run: need some more of that to come...